+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost View Post
    March 23, 2011: The Top Eleven

4. Paul McDonald. He took the long way round, so lost his way for a couple weeks, but seems to be headed home now. His quirky version of Smokey Robinsonís Tracks of my Tears was one of the most moving and emotionally-invested performances Iíve ever seen on Idol. And he did with essentially no vocal technique and no power in his voice. If only he could stop acting the fool, formulate a strategy, take this thing seriously, and fight back. Clearly, he canít out-sing these guys, but if he continues what he started tonight, he can definitely out-emote them. Is he intelligent enough to pick the right song next week? Is he smart enough to re-invent it, in his image? Time will tell.
    I love Motown, but honestly, Paul's version of Tracks of My Tears reminded me more of Johnny Rivers' version of the song, and I absolutely loved Johnny Rivers as well.
    Paul grabbed me with the ending of that song.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

I don't get the Jacob love, either. He's a super sweet kid and all the other contestants seem to love him but I have yet to hear him sing a song from start to finish in tune. Not a single one.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Here's my beef....since when is a ballad from the 80s a Motown song?? Just because it was recorded on the Motown label DOES NOT make it Motown, IMO.

I can't believe I'm saying it...but Jacob was the best for me. Even my punk/alternative/screamo loving son thought Jacob was good.
    He belongs in gospel. He will move the Winans right out of the way.

It was, for me, an overall good night. No major train wrecks.

I watched David cook's "Hello" and then rewatched Stefano's. There is no comparison. No one should do "Hello" again. cook connected with the song, made me like a rather dull Ritchie song. Stefano just had no feeling with it. Darn, we need a David!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by french dip View Post
    Here's my beef....since when is a ballad from the 80s a Motown song?? Just because it was recorded on the Motown label DOES NOT make it Motown, IMO.

I can't believe I'm saying it...but Jacob was the best for me. Even my punk/alternative/screamo loving son thought Jacob was good.
    He belongs in gospel. He will move the Winans right out of the way.

It was, for me, an overall good night. No major train wrecks.
    Kind of like the night they let Fantasia sing Queen on Big Band Night.

FORT Fogey

Really good show in general...no trainwrecks. Usually it is easy to predict who will not be on the tour, but not so this year. The judges and producers did a great job in finally getting us a variety of performers. In previous years, we saw those people who fit the Simon mold of relevence to the Pop world. I am so glad that we are seeing something more from AI this cycle.

To the Point

I know that the mentoring and recording these kids are doing week to week help the AI machine, but I have to believe this is probably one of the best/most helpful things they can do for these kids. That has to be huge getting that type of experience for how ever many weeks they last.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by french dip View Post
    I think they're going with the fact that most of the singers of the original songs, Lionel Ritchie, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross etc., all got their start on the Motown record label.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by Doats View Post
    I am missing having a judge who can cut the flowery compliments (or at least keep them to a minimum) and give these kids some constructive feedback. Sheesh! Not everyone is fabulous every time up.
    Frankly, I think they are getting more constructive feedback then they ever did with Simon on there. All he ever said was that they should "sing better." How is that helpful?
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Adam Lambert nailed this song. Brave of Paul. Much better without the dancing. I like him again.
    I didn't even remember that Adam Lambert had sung it. Still haven't remember what it sounded like with him singing it. I think Paul did a great job.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread