+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Noone really was terrible tonight so the bottom 3 would be determined by who has the least passionate fans. I don't like Naima's voice in parts of her song but the dancing was something different. She's definitely not boring, lots of character. Stefano I think didn't get it. His nasal singing bugs me at times and yes, his phrasing is annoying. Either Haley or Thia will be in the B3. Thia changed it up but she lacked personality. Haley fans might try to save her out of B3 this time. So B3 for me will be Stefano, Naima, and Thia. And I think Naima will be gone although I hope Stefano leaves.

March 23, 2011: The Top Eleven

1. Jacob Lusk. Kelly Clarkson brought a rousing rendition of this R&B classic to the AI stage in season one; one that stood the test of time and unmatched....until tonight. Jacob Lusk is insanely rhythmic and soulful. Like Idol’s other R&B Greats: Fantasia, Nikko Smith, Tamyra Gray, and the best singer to ever set foot on the AI stage, the incomparable Elliott Yamin, Jacob Lusk was born with an R&B heart. He gets it. Yes, the last note was over the top but the rest of it was spectacular R&B, the kind old school R&B purists (I am one) yearn for. I could do without the theatrics and funny face but the rest of it was light years better than the competition, so I had to rank him here….again. Magnificent stuff.
    2. Pia Tascano. The judges keep calling for it, so it’s likely to happen, and when it does I hope she chooses wisely. Pia’s not up-tempo; that’s not who she is as an artist, but a quick peek at her repertoire suggests Leona Lewis’ mid-tempo Bleeding Love could be next up, whenever the theme permits. I wish the judges would let this go. Why tinker with perfection? All In Love is Fair was brilliantly presented. There’s nothing, absolutely noting, wrong with Pia. I think she can sell records as is. My theory is simple: if you are the best at what you do; easy to work with; established a commercially significant fan base already, you are marketable. The rest is up to A&R geeks. But you can’t ask an artist to be something they’re not. I was at a Robin Thicke concert not long ago. He’s a wonderful singer; one of the best romantic R&B crooners I’ve heard in years but can’t dance, so looked sorta silly on Shakin it for Daddy. I don’t want to see that happen to Pia. The only problem I see is this: so far most of her ballads have been gender neutral, so I’m curious to know how she’d fare with something a bit more sensual; e.g. Shakira’s Underneath Your Clothes. She can’t win Idol doing that but it could work as change of pace on the concert stage. Pop music is not my favorite, but when its done right, simply can’t be ignored. So, I look forward to hearing Pia’s version of Celine Dion’s Think Twice; because I know that, in her care, it will be a beautifully crafted emotional experience and I wouldn’t care much if she never changed tempo.
    3. Scott McCreery. No, the vocals weren’t spot on; others out-sang him, but this was my favorite performance of the night. Before this, I didn’t think it possible; For Once in my Life wrapped in old school traditional country? But he made it work. No cheese, no smolder, no sexing the camera; just good old fashioned honest singing. I said it before and I’ll say I again: this kid is money. It’s hard to define IT, but if you need to see it, look no further than Scott McCreery.
    4. Paul McDonald. He took the long way round, so lost his way for a couple weeks, but seems to be headed home now. His quirky version of Smokey Robinson’s Tracks of my Tears was one of the most moving and emotionally-invested performances I’ve ever seen on Idol. And he did with essentially no vocal technique and no power in his voice. If only he could stop acting the fool, formulate a strategy, take this thing seriously, and fight back. Clearly, he can’t out-sing these guys, but if he continues what he started tonight, he can definitely out-emote them. Is he intelligent enough to pick the right song next week? Is he smart enough to re-invent it, in his image? Time will tell.
    5. Haley Reinhart. Another contestant who righted the ship this week. This was her best performance; the only one I really liked. Not sure it was the real Haley, but whoever it was; Joss Stone or Mariah Carey, it was darn good impersonation. I think she’s in real danger this week, and should be, because of previous poor performances that robbed her of a fan base, but I had to place her here; she earned it; deserved this. Like Casey, Haley likes to growl, but unlike Casey, she actually does it with tone and on key. So while I didn’t really believe her, I was mesmerized by the ease with which she shifted in and out of melody, manufactured intricate runs and growls, changed octaves, and successfully executed Lusk-type vocal calisthenics. What this kid did tonight is very difficult, more difficult I think than high C, so she gets nothing but high praise from me. She is not the eleventh best singer in this competition, although she may well be the eleventh most popular. Hopefully, America will forgive her the last two weeks. We’ll see.
    6. James Durbin. I didn’t like last week’s performance and didn’t like this one much either. I didn’t like the arrangement; it was too slow; didn’t hear any traditional rock chords; and what I heard was lazy; could barely hear the bass; and the key didn’t really suit him. There is one good thing: like Haley, James screams with tone, on key, and on melody, but his dream of winning appears to be on the decline. Still, he is a good singer, and I hope my personal disappointment is not reflected in this replacement. I try to be fair and objective. Dude doesn’t owe me, or any of us, a thing.
    7. Casey Abrams. Didn’t like this one much either. There are those who can: Johnny Lang and Billy Ray Vaughn, and there are those who’ve yet to be. I just don’t think Casey is a blues singer. Don’t think he does R&B very well either. He was much better last week, with hard rock. I respect these judges, as always. Their credentials are solid; they’ve been there, down in the trenches; they know what they’re talking about, no doubt about it, but I can disagree. I think R&B purists will agree with me. This was not an authentic or credible version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine. Listen, if you will, to Fantasia Barino’s earthy, funky, in-the-R&B-pocket, and brilliant interpretation of these lyrics, and you will see what I mean.
    8. Stefano Langone. Didn’t like this performance much either. He sang it well but honestly, he could have mailed it in. Didn’t believe a word of it. Emotionally, this was Stefano’s worst performance. Unlike the original, or David Cook’s gut-wrenching rendition, both filled with honest raw emotion, Stefano was clearly disconnected. I don’t know what to make of this kid; it’s there, I’ve seen it, but he can’t sustain it; can’t harness it; can’t tame it. He's prone to preoccupation and mental walkabout at times, and that was never more evident than tonight. This was little more than a recitation.
    9. Lauren Alaina. I actually liked her version of this song; it was sweet, light-hearted, soft, and feminine. She reminds me of Haley Scarnato, who wrapped up every song in girly tenderness and re-created it in her image. It worked, for awhile, until she was left to face the heavy hitters alone. This was a uniquely entertaining and girly version of this otherwise hard and edgy song, and I liked it a lot, but I want to be fair. She’s a lovable kid but in my opinion, there are those who do it better.
    10. Naima Adedapo. This one was just not interesting, even with the dancing, which didn’t work for me. It might have in years past, before I started watching So You Think You Can Dance. I’ve seen that dance, so know what it should be, so was less impressed because of that. But I like her immensely, and I want desperately for her to do well. As stated above, in my opinion, there are those who sing better, so I had to place her here.
    11. Thia Megia. I got nothing from this performance. As noted, Thia entered Idol with a huge advantage; a built in voting bloc, the result of years of prime time competition, so she’ll remain here until the contestants numbers are small enough to affect her voting bloc, and that spells bad news for the more inconsistent performers.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 03-24-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Tell me how it was fair that Jacob got a parade of fans on stage.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Tell me how it was fair that Jacob got a parade of fans on stage.
    Over pimping on par with the night they brought Fantasia's kid up.

I thought this was an extremely solid night, top to bottom. Whoever goes home will exit on a high note.

Top 3...I know, I know

Paul
    Haley
    Pia

Bottom 3 (performance wise)

Thia
    Casey

Stefano

Quote Originally Posted by Chacharo View Post
    James, you are NO Adam Lambert.
    I think he's better than Lambert, personally. Not that he is my favorite by any means, but while I enjoyed Adam Lambert's performances, I didn't care at all for his singing.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Pia: The girl with the beautiful, beautiful voice. Sounds like the violinist went a little flat at the beginning. I wasn't looking forward to hearing a ballad, but she sure did an excellent job! This girl has mad, mad talent!!
    Pia is so boring I could sleep through her songs - until she gets to that screech, then I just have to cringe. I don't see why people are praising her so highly. She is nowhere near the level of Celine Dion.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

So, I missed the show and forgot to record. Will it be online anywhere to watch?
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fogey

8. Stefano Langone. Didnít like this performance much either. He sang it well but honestly, he could have mailed it in. Didnít believe a word of it. Emotionally, this was Stefanoís worst performance. Unlike the original, or David Cookís gut-wrenching rendition, both filled with honest raw emotion, Stefano was clearly disconnected. I donít know what to make of this kid; itís there, Iíve seen it, but he canít sustain it; canít harness it; canít tame it. He's prone to preoccupation and mental walkabout at times, and that was never more evident than tonight. This was little more than a recitation.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I thought this was an extremely solid night, top to bottom. Whoever goes home will exit on a high note.

Top 3...I know, I know

Paul
    Haley
    Pia

Bottom 3 (performance wise)

Thia
    Casey

Stefano

My dad used to tell of going to hear a singer (country/pop/very early rock & roll) back in the day who would sit on the stool with his guitar, and the tears would roll down his face while he sang a particular gut wrenching song. My dad said this singer was emoting.
    That is what I think they were trying to tell Stefano to do with his song last night, but he just didn't understand.
    Perhaps he can't emote to that degree because maybe he hasn't had his heart broken yet, or maybe he simply didn't understand what Jennifer was trying to convey.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

To the Point

I just do not get the Jacob love. I even tried listening with my eyes closed. At times it seems that he sings just a hair under some of the higher notes AND I always feel that he is over singing. I can't put my finger of any one thing. Just not my style I guess.

Pia is beautiful and has a beautiful voice, but I'm not the least bit moved. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty bored.

Casey really has lost me. I rather liked him in the audition rounds, but not so much now.

Paul is another that I found myself really pulling for coming out of the auditions, however, he has made me cringe more than a time or two.

Scotty made me smile and I do think he will have a career, and probably a pretty good one. Tonight wasn't my favorite.

Lauren wasn't bad. She has a tendency to flirt too much. Kind of freaks me out with her being so young. I do think she has a really good voice.

Stefano I loved last week, this week not so much. I really am hot and cold about him.

Thia has a fab voice, I'm just not sure that she's AI. She just seems really sweet w/o enough sass or stage presence or something.

Naima is one that I really want to like, but there is something either missing or it's just too much. I can't decide.

Haley has moments. I don't dislike her, I don't love her.

James
    is the one that has surprised me. I find myself really wanting him to do well and I've actually found most of his performances entertaining in a good way. He may not have Adam's chops but I prefer him to Adam. I think that Adam was too theatrical and over the top for me in ways that I have never been able to express adquately. Funny thing is that he really turned me off during Hollywood week with his attitude toward the "stage mom" crowd. Didn't think I'd get over that obstacle where he was concerned.

I really would love to see at least one of these folks really wow me. I haven't been! Tonight wasn't bad as a whole. There were none that were just awful. I just wasn't wowed.

And no, there truly is no order to how I went through the contestants. Kind of speaks to how I feel about the show. WOW me please.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 03-24-2011 at 09:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread