+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Singles on iTunes - Season 10

Singles on iTunes - Season 10

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to talk about the recordings of this season's contestants to see if they sound like singles that we would actually buy (and who knows, perhaps some of us have already bought them ). YouTube links of the singles will be posted each week for us to listen and discuss.

Week One (posted in the order in which they performed on 3/9/2011)

Lauren Alania, "Any Man of Mine"
    YouTube - Lauren Alaina - Any Man of Mine [iTunes Version]

Casey Abrams, "A Little Help from My Friends"
    YouTube - Casey Abrams - A Little Help from My Friends [iTunes Version]

Ashthon Jones, "When You Tell Me That You Love Me"
    YouTube - Ashthon Jones - When You Tell Me That You Love Me [iTunes Version]

Paul McDonald, "Come Pick Me Up"
    YouTube - Paul McDonald - Come Pick Me Up [iTunes Version]

Pia Toscano, "All By Myself"
    YouTube - Pia Toscano - All By Myself [iTunes Version]

James Durbin, "Maybe I'm Amazed"
    YouTube - James Durbin - Maybe I'm Amazed [iTunes Version]

Haley Reinhart, "Blue"
    YouTube - Haley Reinhart - Blue [iTunes Version]

Jacob Lusk, "I Believe I Can Fly"
    YouTube - Jacob Lusk - I Believe I Can Fly [iTunes Version]

Thia Megia, "Smile"
    YouTube - Thia Megia - Smile [iTunes Version]

Stefano Langone, "Lately"
    YouTube - Stefano Langone - Lately [iTunes Version]

Karen Rodriguez, "I Could Fall in Love"
    YouTube - Karen Rodriguez - I Could Fall in Love with You [iTunes Version]

Scotty McCreery, "The River"
    YouTube - Scotty McCreery - The River [iTunes Version]

Naima Adedapo, "Umbrella"
    YouTube - Naima Adedapo - Umbrella [iTunes Version]
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Re: Singles on iTunes - Season 10

Thank you CrossingGuard - great idea! I found it interesting which ones I chose to listen to and which ones I didn't bother to finish the whole song.
    Paul and Scotty were the only ones I listened to the whole song. I liked Paul's better than the show version. I would buy a CD of his. I got misty-eyed during Scotty's because he connected to the lyrics and I was reflecting on the content (not big-voice-screaming-trills-melisma-vocal-gymnastics!!!) and the low register was soothing, not forced.
    I listened to about half of Casey's, but got bored.
    I listened to Thia's up to the tempo change... she has such beautiful tone.
    I listened to Jacob just to see if the screeching cat sounds had been cleaned up but couldn't even get through one line because I just don't like his style at all. Sorry Jacob fans. My opinion only.
    I forgot about James... I'll have to go back and see about him.
    The other girls? meh - not interested enough in their songs this week to waste the time.

Heh - editing to add, I watched James and kept getting distracted by that photo - the hair and ears make him look like a Teletubby.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 03-13-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Is there a way to tell who is selling & who isn't?

The only way I know to do that would be to look at the TOP200 songs that iTunes lists and seeing how these singles rank in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Thank you CrossingGuard - great idea! I found it interesting which ones I chose to listen to and which ones I didn't bother to finish the whole song.
    Paul and Scotty were the only ones I listened to the whole song. I liked Paul's better than the show version. I would buy a CD of his. I got misty-eyed during Scotty's because he connected to the lyrics and I was reflecting on the content (not big-voice-screaming-trills-melisma-vocal-gymnastics!!!) and the low register was soothing, not forced.
    I listened to about half of Casey's, but got bored.
    I listened to Thia's up to the tempo change... she has such beautiful tone.
    I listened to Jacob just to see if the screeching cat sounds had been cleaned up but couldn't even get through one line because I just don't like his style at all. Sorry Jacob fans. My opinion only.
    I forgot about James... I'll have to go back and see about him.
    The other girls? meh - not interested enough in their songs this week to waste the time.

Heh - editing to add, I watched James and kept getting distracted by that photo - the hair and ears make him look like a Teletubby.
    Thanks!

My favorite recordings are by James, Naima, Pia and Lauren, in that order. I absolutely loved James', which is saying a lot since I don't like him at all. Naima's sounds very current, and what makes it better is that she put her own spin on it with the reggae. Pia sounds great in her's, and I like Lauren's because I've always thought that tune was catchy.

Some of the others are good, too. Ashthon's is way better than her live performance. Then there are others that I got bored with (Casey's), and other that I didn't really like at all (Stefano's).
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

As best I remember, they don't allow Idol songs to be ranked or featured in the top songs. They don't want people to know who might be ahead.

And thanks for the links. Karen is a lot better than she was on the show. Scotty was good too.
    Last edited by yourefired; 03-14-2011 at 04:12 AM.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post
    As best I remember, they don't allow Idol songs to be ranked or featured in the top songs. They don't want people to know who might be ahead.

And thanks for the links. Karen is a lot better than she was on the show. Scotty was good too.
    No problem!

And I didn't know that. I don't use iTunes (I'm one of the few people who goes out and buys CDs ), so perhaps I shouldn't have answered.

I'll have to make time to listen to them all before Wednesday. The studio recordings can be far superior to the live performances. I may change my mind about some of them without the visuals.
    Count your blessings!

So... I forgot about this whole thing. I'm sorry for not keeping up with it! Maybe I'll try to catch up over the weekend. Or maybe I can just start from this week and go on from there?

+ Reply to Thread