+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 3/10 Results Show *Spoilers*

Re: 3/10 Results Show *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by french dip View Post
    Then they should have been doing it from the start because Clay Aiken was a bigger name than Ruben ever was and his picture was never shown in any montage. He's done tv shows, guest hosting gigs, Broadway (he should stay there...he was fantastic in Spamalot), numerous sold-out tours...you name it. Then he got weird and decided to have a surrogate baby with his 50 year old producer.....that was the final nail in the coffin for me (along with other more personal reasons).

ANYWAY...he was a wild card pick that was never in the bottom 3 and probably was the real winner of season 2...but you know how that goes....busy phone lines, power outages, etc....
    I only started watching in Season 4, so I don't know what happened in previous seasons. However, I do see your point. I have seen more about Clay in the past few years. I've also never heard about Reuben's having a group of fans with a cute nickname.

I guess I just don't like inconsistency. But we're talking Idol here, so.....

I'd really love to see and hear Bo Bice (heard him being played in Kmart tonight ) and Josh Gracin and Elliot Yamin instead of random top 40 artists like BEP or that Diddy Whackadoodle.
    Me, too! I'm not a particular country fan, so I really wanted him to win that season. Is he still recording? I'd love to have him back, too.

I love the funny nicknames you guys are coming up with for P. Diddy!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf! View Post
    I'm one of the ones who misses Simon. Not all of his meanness, but his blunt honesty. It might not have sounded pretty, but it was the truth. He certainly wouldn't have used a Diana Ross reference with Ashton, or Michael Jackson reference with Thia He would have told those folks which one deserved to sing on a cruise ship, and which one was destined for the karaoke mike at the local Holiday Inn. Does that sound mean? I don't think so, because I'm making the same comparisons at home (maybe I'm the mean one. ) I didn't like when he made fun of contestants' physical features, but if they're belting out a song off key, I really don't want to hear the judges gush and coo. It's off key and this is a singing competition. (I don't care for Taylor Swift for that very reason - she might be a good songwriter, but has one of the poorest voices in the business) He was even honest about Carrie's wooden stiffness on stage - and she took that and improved her stage presence.

That's always why Simon was so popular. He said what America was thinking. And as I said in another thread, the contestants actually respected his advice the most. They knew that if they won his praise, it was genuine. Also, my husband is British and loves Simon, so it might be a cultural thing. Simon does the same thing on his own show and he remains pretty popular in Britain. Having lived there, I must say that it takes some getting used to, since they tend to be blunter than us.

I recently checked out the new, official AI book from my library the other day. It takes a look back at all the past seasons, and they have a whole page of "Simonisms."

"You sounded like Dolly Parton on helium."
    "That was a terrible impersonation of Elvis...It was just karaoke with a capital K."
    "It was like dinner with Paula Abdul; sweet but forgettable."
    "I think it had all the joy of someone singing at a funeral parlor."

Mean? Maybe. But I have to admit, I laughed reading them.

I really think the judges need to step it up. Even Jennifer's comments to Ashton when she didn't get the save were pitiful. Did she even say 5 words? Ryan was left holding the bag. I guess this is a sore spot with me because these people are getting paid such big $$ and getting a chance to breathe new life into their careers, and yet they can't speak effectively from that judges box. Sad.

I don't mean to offend anyone....but I'm really missing an edge to the show this season. The last 2 shows were
    Preaching to the choir here. I didn't like Ashton, but that was just pathetic the way they treated her. After giving her the WC spot over more worthy contestants, then hyping her as the next Diana Ross, they dropped her like a hot potato once America made it's views known.
    Last edited by Babbred; 03-13-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Me, too! I'm not a particular country fan, so I really wanted him to win that season. Is he still recording? I'd love to have him back, too.
    Is who still recording?? Josh or Bo?
    I know they both tour. I've seen Josh a few times. He puts on a good show.
    He was who I tuned in to watch and root for in season 2 since he was from Michigan. After the season ended, I found out he was a good friend of my nephew's.

Viewers get invested in the show and with the contestants. They want to know how a particular person from whatever season is doing and what they're doing.
    I know, if they were real fans, they'd already know. Not everyone that watches the show is involved with recording artists (which negates the point of the show!! ) but it is easier to just tune into AI and hopefully get caught up with past contestants.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Josh was on Lyric Street which closed last year. He is now on Average Joe which is independent. He put out a single called Cover Girl that just did marginal. He promises a new album this year though. He has a website Josh Gracin Official and if you sign up for his mailing list you get a mini EP electronically. It has 3 songs on it that really show off his vocal chops.

In looking at this elimination, it's not overly surprising. I did know the Diana Ross song she sung. I think it's very pretty when Diana songs it. Problem with Ashtin is she had about the same likability as Diana Ross. And this is a woman who wins the Bloomingdale's B award for bitchiest celebrity customer year in and year out. Jennifer Hudson had a similar quality when she was on Idol. She has gotten more humble with age and experience but when she was on Idol she was queen B.
    Last edited by yourefired; 03-14-2011 at 04:50 AM.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

I only started watching in Season 4, so I don't know what happened in previous seasons. However, I do see your point. I have seen more about Clay in the past few years. I've also never heard about Reuben's having a group of fans with a cute nickname.

I love the funny nicknames you guys are coming up with for P. Diddy!

You evidently won't like Bo anymore. His latest album is Country & he even performed at the Grand Ol Opry recently. Really & truly, his year was never contested, no one other than Carrie had any shot at winning that year.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    You evidently won't like Bo anymore. His latest album is Country & he even performed at the Grand Ol Opry recently. Really & truly, his year was never contested, no one other than Carrie had any shot at winning that year.
    I think Bo's influence on the show cannot be overlooked. I really feel he paved the way for the "rocker" contestants who followed him. People who wouldn't have tried out before were suddenly trying out for the show and we got people like Chris, David C. and Adam making their mark.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

To the Point

I don't miss Simon, but some seriously constructive criticism would be nice. There is no need for it to be nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I think Bo's influence on the show cannot be overlooked. I really feel he paved the way for the "rocker" contestants who followed him. People who wouldn't have tried out before were suddenly trying out for the show and we got people like Chris, David C. and Adam making their mark.
    I never said anything to dispute that. I liked him as well & I have seen him live a couple of times. Unfortunately, as good as he is, there is just not much of a market anymore for his Southern Rock/Country/ Blues based genre. By the way, for those who don't know, he now has 3 album out & is now self producing & self releasing his stuff. Much like Taylor Hicks.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I never said anything to dispute that. I liked him as well & I have seen him live a couple of times. Unfortunately, as good as he is, there is just not much of a market anymore for his Southern Rock/Country/ Blues based genre. By the way, for those who don't know, he now has 3 album out & is now self producing & self releasing his stuff. Much like Taylor Hicks.
    I know you didn't say that . I was just saying that regardless of how he did or how is doing, he did open doors on the show. I did like him and wished he would have done better, but such is the way of the music world. You just never know.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Preaching to the choir here. I didn't like Ashton, but that was just pathetic the way they treated her. After giving her the WC spot over more worthy contestants, then hyping her as the next Diana Ross, they dropped her like a hot potato once America made it's views known.

What else were they supposed to do "once America made its view known"??

+ Reply to Thread