+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: 3/3 Results Show *Spoilers*

Re: 3/3 Results Show *Spoilers*

I was shocked that Lauren T. wasn't in the top 10, and then also not picked for a wildcard sing-off. Naima truly earned her spot last night - but Ashton, really? I thought Robbie also did an outstanding job last night in the sing-off, and should have been chosen as a wildcard.

I would have put Kendra instead of Ashton.

FORT Regular

Only quibble I have with the top 13 is Ashthon. I would have gone with Robbie or Lauren over Ashthon. When you think about it, to only differ on 1 of the 13 is a pretty good endorsement for the talent assembled by this year's judges and the first round of voting. I like the big elimination the first week as it weeds out the marginal performers very quickly, instead of having to sit through their performances in ensuing weeks and watching them hang around over better singers for whatever reason.

Naima and Ashton were both lousy and they made it to the top 13. Crap. Robbie should've made it. Kendra was good but her voice is very common. I was rooting for Lauren Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I would have put Kendra instead of Ashton.
    Or Lauren T.

I'm not sure about James or Stefano but can't really think who other than them from the boys should have made it.

So over all I'm happy with this group. This is a really talented group and it's going to be tough seeing them go each week.

I like Naima and I was so happy to see her make it. She's got something special, makes me smile whenever she sings. Heck, almost all of them do.

I have to say that I'm proud of the judges (and Nigel) that they pretty much eliminated all the crap. No sob stories, no crazy back stories, just for the most part good talent. That I dislike 3 out of 13? That has never happened before.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Random thoughts:

--I wanted Naima to do well because of her backstory, but I wasn't impressed this week. It will be interesting to see how far sympathy and funky (?) dresses take her.

--Felt sorry for Jovany since they screwed him earlier in the show. Oh, well, I guess he was always cannon fodder.

--Ashton? Everybody else summed it up. There are 2 or 3 people I would taken over her, but I agree with whoever said the judges/producers were going for the Beyonce look.

--Turned down the volume halfway through JLo's video. It just sounded too much like Paula's (hence my earlier comment). I was bored.

--I didn't like this way of doing the semis. It was just too rushed. We had barely gotten over the tears and trauma of Hollywood, and then we were expected to say good-bye to half the contestants. It was just hard to process. I liked it better in the old days when we had three weeks to transition from Hollywood to the Top 12. I also think it must have been hard for the contestants to go through that stress and emotional drama right after Hollywood. I hope they got a chance to say good-bye to each other after the show.

--I, too, was turned off by the Hispanic singer's comments about representing her race. This is supposed to be a singing program. I don't particularly like her, and not just for that comment. She seems like the world's biggest suck-up since she sang that JLo song during her last go-round in Hollywood.

--Yes, karma has a way of getting you. However, not always. Scotty was in Jaycee's group and sailed right through. I truly think it was more a case of lousy song joice (Jordan) and mediocre singing (Clint) than any payback by the voters. There were just too many other good singers. I totally wouldn't be surprised if the judges got their revenge, though. Who knows? They might have done the same to Scotty if he hadn't of been safe.

Now for the good side...

--So glad Casey made it! He's my favorite, too.

--I didn't like Paul this week, but I'm willing to give him another chance based on his past performances. I really hope he pulls it out.

--Love the girls in the Top 13 (except for Ashton). Can't wait to hear them again.

--I'm already melting at the thought of hearing Scotty's voice again.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Top 13 and looking forward to the rest of the season. Well, at least the contestants. The judges, not so sure....

Technical note: how is this going to work? I mean, they had 13 a couple of seasons ago, and they got around it by eliminating two contestants the first night. Will they do that next week, do you think?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

For me, my top 4 going into next week (in no particular order) is: Thia, Paul, Lauren, and Pia. I like Casey, Jacob, and Scotty to a point. The rest, I'm either not sure of (Haley, Karen) or don't like (James and all the WC picks).

The judges' wild card picks stunk, IMO. I'm still cringing that Beyonce-wannabe Ashton was put through, as well as Stefano and Naima. I would have put Robbie in instead of Stefano, and Lauren Turner over Ashton or Naima. I cannot believe they didn't even let Lauren T. sing again. I'm not sure who I would've made the 3rd wild card pick. A lot of the ones who left were no great shakes, IMO.

I didn't like this season at all during auditions, but it did get better during Hollywood week. Kinda sad that it seems like I have to rely solely on Randy for honest commentary, but perhaps Steven and J.Lo will go a little bit more in that direction as well as the weeks go on. I don't like rudeness or nastiness at all, but I don't like overpraising either.

I have to admit I was actually a little disappointed that Brett didn't get a wildcard shot because he has been one of the most featured in all of the shows leading up to this. Usually when they devote that much camera time to someone they milk them 'till the last drop.

I told my wife after the top 10 were picked that there would have to be a black girl in one of the wildcard slots. But when they picked Ashton I was surprised because her performance was one of the worst of anyone this season. I think Kendra was much better and honestly she is very good looking and would have been very marketable.

The thing that REALLY got on my nerves was Karen and her comments. Remember, this is AMERICAN idol, not Latin American idol. I don't understand how she could think that singing a song that 89% of the viewers don't understand will take her to the finish. She will probably do good in the first rounds because of the ready-made voting block, but the math will catch up with her as the numbers of contestants dwindle. I really missed Simon because I think he would have been brave enough to call her out on this, and tell her to stick to English (and the guy who did the half English/Spanish song). To me it felt like they were just playing to the Hispanic viewers instead of trying to win over everyone.

I will say that there is some great talent this year, but IMO the guys are head and shoulders above the girls. And I like the variety of styles/sounds from the guys. I think they have learned from the past seasons that uniqueness is much more appealing than the cookie-cutter pop sound they focused on in the past. The problem I have with the girls is that I could listen to 3 or 4 of them and not be able to tell you who it is, whereas there is no mistaking Scotty, Paul, James or Casey. Any one of them could be a star in their genera and I think they all have a big future.

I have to admit that I was not impressed with the choices of new judges and said before the show started this year that it's tenure at the top was over. But, I'll admit I was wrong and think the talent this year will save Idol from fading away and if they don't saboutage the contestants by picking artist weeks that are too unopen to a variety of musical styles, this will be a great season.

Can someone explain what the rule is this year with contestants playing instruments? I think allowing them to show their playing abilities adds to the show and hope they will be allowed to use them. Anyone know the scoop on this?

Quote Originally Posted by sfhondapilot View Post
    Only quibble I have with the top 13 is Ashthon. I would have gone with Robbie or Lauren over Ashthon. When you think about it, to only differ on 1 of the 13 is a pretty good endorsement for the talent assembled by this year's judges and the first round of voting. I like the big elimination the first week as it weeds out the marginal performers very quickly, instead of having to sit through their performances in ensuing weeks and watching them hang around over better singers for whatever reason.

I agree with most of you. I didn't mind the wildcard selections except for Ashthon. She didn't have that power in her voice for that song. I think Robbie or even Kendra should have been in. They did better than Ashthon who obviously got in based on race not talent. I understand the selection of Naima even though she didn't sing that well but because she is different and Stefano because he did sing for his life.

Incidentally, I think the most deserving one wasn't even selected for a WC sing-off which is Lauren T. She should have been in the finals instead of Ashthon. But they were casting and they thought that the finalists need more African American contestants. I feel bad for Lauren T. I guess there is only one room for a Lauren, What more can she do? She didn't have the look they were looking for so she's out. I also think that we have enough glory note guys in the top 10 so adding Robbie would have been a welcome respite (Jovany was a joke). Should have been a top 14...was waiting for that twist then they can have two double eliminations in a row.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 03-06-2011 at 08:23 PM.

it's been a wild ride! Parkhillian's Avatar

I am thrilled that Stefano was a Wild Card Pick, love that guy and I so want to see him select his songs wisely...this boy can sing!

+ Reply to Thread