+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: DialIdol/Vote For the Worst Season 10 *possible spoilers*

it's been a wild ride! Parkhillian's Avatar

Re: DialIdol/Vote For the Worst Season 10 *possible spoilers*

I think if Lauren leaves tonight, those voting for her will be more likely to vote for Scotty in the finale. I will be totally shocked if he doesn't win this.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    If you sort that data by actual votes received, Haley is well ahead & in no danger of leaving. Who knows with dial idol anymore, accurate or not?

I believe the actual votes that they show are votes made by people who use DialIdol software. They wouldn't have a way of counting anyone else's votes. If you went by their numbers Jacob would have left much sooner. He wasn't very popular among DialIdol users. I think they did something to pad his scores because they didn't come close to reflecting the numbers of votes.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    I believe the actual votes that they show are votes made by people who use DialIdol software. They wouldn't have a way of counting anyone else's votes. If you went by their numbers Jacob would have left much sooner. He wasn't very popular among DialIdol users. I think they did something to pad his scores because they didn't come close to reflecting the numbers of votes.
    They don't have any way of counting anyone else's busy signals either, but it is all taken from the same sample, so one way of sorting it is just as viable as any other.

By the way, you can also see state by state votes, or a minute by minute vote if you choose to look at it that way. It's all interesting, but with texting & internet voting I'm just not so sure how accurate it is any more.

I rarely venture over into DialIdol but it looks like the only time they were off in their predictions is the season where they had Melinda doolittle in first and she was voted off. I guess its harder for them to predict now that people are texting and voting online.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    They don't have any way of counting anyone else's busy signals either, but it is all taken from the same sample, so one way of sorting it is just as viable as any other.
    I figured the busy signals they're counting are the ones they encounter as they try to place the votes for their users. So they're getting a direct correlation between their votes and the busy signals they get and making predictions based on that. But they're also dependent upon their users making votes that represent the votes being placed across the nation. If only 100K votes are being placed via DialIdol, yet 60-80 million votes are placed nationwide, that's such a small percentage of the total votes. It's unlikely that the same percentage of votes for each person will match the nationwide vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I rarely venture over into DialIdol but it looks like the only time they were off in their predictions is the season where they had Melinda doolittle in first and she was voted off. I guess its harder for them to predict now that people are texting and voting online.

Dial Idol said Pia was the third highest vote getter and in no danger of leaving the week she was eliminated.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    Dial Idol said Pia was the third highest vote getter and in no danger of leaving the week she was eliminated.
    They make predictions for DWTS too. A few weeks ago, only one team was predicted to be safe by DialIdol. They ended up having the least number of votes and had to leave.

I still enjoy following DI and seeing how well their predictions go. They aren't bad, but not perfect either. I've created a spreadsheet this year to monitor them, comparing the results of their scores, numbers of votes, numbers of busy signals, and percentage of busy signals. Sometimes the raw numbers and/or busy signals are the best indicator of who is leaving. The week that Pia left is the one that was REALLY off, though. Kinda makes you wonder...
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 05-19-2011 at 07:32 PM.

I only looked when it got to the top 3, not the entire season. They were right again this week too because they gave Lauren the edge over Haley.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I only looked when it got to the top 3, not the entire season. They were right again this week too because they gave Lauren the edge over Haley.
    They did get it right this week, but they were not right the week Pia left. So I wanted to clear up some of the confusion.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

They did get it right this week, but they were not right the week Pia left. So I wanted to clear up some of the confusion.
    I think maybe its harder in general when there are a lot of them then when it gets down to just a few? If I understand how that site works (and I'm not sure I do), don't they count the buzy signals for each contestant? But with so many people now voting by text or online, its not as accurate to predict I wouldn't think. Maybe a lot of the younger people vote by text and they were probably not Pia's fan base, which would explain the discrepancy that week.

+ Reply to Thread