+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Scotty McCreery Season 10

Re: Scotty McCreery Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post
    But Scotty strains on the higher notes. I personally don't think he even came close to Tim McGraw vocally but I'm sure he will get better with time.
    I never could understand the focus of getting him to sing in a higher register. Did anyone ever suggest Pia (for example) should try for a baritone? I wish he would stick with his range and he sounds just fine to me.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

But Scotty strains on the higher notes. I personally don't think he even came close to Tim McGraw vocally but I'm sure he will get better with time.
    Yeah, he definitely strains. I appreciate Scotty's talent, especially his storytelling ability, but it would have been nice to have a winner who did not have to improve so much to be a wonderful singer. Until last year's Lee Dewyze, all of the AI winners were ready to hit the road with their great talents. Starting with Lee, and now with Scotty, the winner is more about having a cute, lovable personality than singing ability. That's why I have been really enjoying "The Voice" show. Ninety percent of the contestants sing wonderfully, and it's like getting a mini-concert each time they compete. I couldn't hazard a guess as to who will win that one---most are amateurs, but many are magical vocalists. American Idol was always more about raw talent (or raw non-talent), but at least the winner was always a really talented vocalist--until last year and this year.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I never could understand the focus of getting him to sing in a higher register. Did anyone ever suggest Pia (for example) should try for a baritone? I wish he would stick with his range and he sounds just fine to me.
    If someone does not have a vocal range than they are limited in the songs they can sing and still sound good singing. It may get mundane after a while especially listening to an entire CD in the same register.

If someone does not have a vocal range than they are limited in the songs they can sing and still sound good singing. It may get mundane after a while especially listening to an entire CD in the same register.
    Absolutely. However, some stars with limited vocal range have been able to compensate with their unique phrasing ability (ie. Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker etc.). Scotty has potential in that area, but the winner of American Idol should have reached most of their potential by now, given that the judges say the winner "is the best singer in America." That's why I think the age minimum should be at least 18.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

I never heard Scotty strain on the high notes. (If anything, we said here that Lauren strained on the lower register. Her voice faded out.) This post comes from someone who is not a fan of Tim McGraw's, but I still think Scotty sounded GOOD next to singing with him.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I never said he shouldn't sing within his range, just not strain to reach a range that might be too high for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I never heard Scotty strain on the high notes. (If anything, we said here that Lauren strained on the lower register. Her voice faded out.) This post comes from someone who is not a fan of Tim McGraw's, but I still think Scotty sounded GOOD next to singing with him.
    Yes, he did. I've listened to it several times since then, including just listening and not watching, and I think he did just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Yeah, he definitely strains. I appreciate Scotty's talent, especially his storytelling ability, but it would have been nice to have a winner who did not have to improve so much to be a wonderful singer. Until last year's Lee Dewyze, all of the AI winners were ready to hit the road with their great talents. Starting with Lee, and now with Scotty, the winner is more about having a cute, lovable personality than singing ability. That's why I have been really enjoying "The Voice" show. Ninety percent of the contestants sing wonderfully, and it's like getting a mini-concert each time they compete. I couldn't hazard a guess as to who will win that one---most are amateurs, but many are magical vocalists. American Idol was always more about raw talent (or raw non-talent), but at least the winner was always a really talented vocalist--until last year and this year. -- --
    For the record, I fell in love with Scotty's voice at his audition when I first heard Baby lock them doors. That has nothing to do with any "cute, loveable" personality. I also liked Lee's singing last season (but I liked Crystal better). A lot of things go into who we like and don't like, and its not always just about vocal abilities. A lot of people who are huge stars, I don't like their singing or their personalities (at least their public personalities) but obviously a lot of people do or they wouldn't be stars. I always thought the whole purpose of American Idol was to take someone who was raw and unpolished and see how they could grow over the course of the show. I'm watching the Voice too, but they have a different premise from Idol, so you really can't compare the two.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-27-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

For the record, I fell in love with Scotty's voice at his audition when I first heard Baby lock them doors. That has nothing to do with any "cute, loveable" personality. I also liked Lee's singing last season (but I liked Crystal better). A lot of things go into who we like and don't like, and its not always just about vocal abilities. A lot of people who are huge stars, I don't like their singing or their personalities (at least their public personalities) but obviously a lot of people do or they wouldn't be stars. I always thought the whole purpose of American Idol was to take someone who was raw and unpolished and see how they could grow over the course of the show. I'm watching the Voice too, but they have a different premise from Idol, so you really can't compare the two.
    thats the thing for me too... its his voice. I don't care what he looks like or what his age is, I love his voice. It helps that on stage he has presence and for me, the maturity to match that voice. Maturity for a 17 year old that is! But more mature then the ones I see at the library I work at.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I also said from day one...at the auditions...that Scotty had a really really different voice, especially for a young guy his age. I knew that different voice would go far. He just stood out from the rest, for me.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I always thought the whole purpose of American Idol was to take someone who was raw and unpolished and see how they could grow over the course of the show. I'm watching the Voice too, but they have a different premise from Idol, so you really can't compare the two.
    According to the judges, especially Randy, the purpose of American Idol is to "find the best singer in America." I think viewers have different reasons for watching the show. I have always greatly enjoyed the contestants who are really good singers and don't need training. So Crystal, Ruben, Clay, Jennifer Hudson, Elliott Yamin, Taylor Hicks, Fantasia, Adam, Kris and many others have riveted my attention in past years. Sure, there have always been untalented or untrained folks in the Top 10, but I just ignored them (or fast-forwarded their performances) to listen to the two or three pearls that were left in the competition. I have never seen an untrained performer improve enough over the season to make me interested in them by the end of the show. But obviously, given the huge popularity of untrained or unskilled performers on this show, there are millions of voters that are very interested in their personalities, back stories or possible evolution of skills. I'm just not one of those.
    --
    --
    --
    --

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    According to the judges, especially Randy, the purpose of American Idol is to "find the best singer in America." I think viewers have different reasons for watching the show. I have always greatly enjoyed the contestants who are really good singers and don't need training. So Crystal, Ruben, Clay, Jennifer Hudson, Elliott Yamin, Taylor Hicks, Fantasia, Adam, Kris and many others have riveted my attention in past years. Sure, there have always been untalented or untrained folks in the Top 10, but I just ignored them (or fast-forwarded their performances) to listen to the two or three pearls that were left in the competition. I have never seen an untrained performer improve enough over the season to make me interested in them by the end of the show. But obviously, given the huge popularity of untrained or unskilled performers on this show, there are millions of voters that are very interested in their personalities, back stories or possible evolution of skills. I'm just not one of those.
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Or some of us just don't have the ear for telling the difference maybe. I've enjoyed all kinds of contestants over the seasons, trained and untrained, and not ever just on the strength of personality. We all like who we like for whatever reason. I've never fast forwarded through performances although there have been some I haven't liked at all.

+ Reply to Thread