+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Scotty McCreery Season 10

Re: Scotty McCreery Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I can think of several country performers who would look into the camera with the head tilt, and all..or the infamous stare into the camera. Scotty certainly isn't the first.
    Not just country singers, I've seen a lot of performers do it.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I'm curious, which country stars perform with their heads constantly tilted? When they perform together, do they tilt to the left or right?
    Honestly, that's just so trivial. I'm sure when Scotty is a more seasoned performer, he'll lose some of the mannerisms you find irritating. Frankly, I'd rather watch Scotty tilting his head than some of the antics the stars who come on this show call peforming.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Honestly, that's just so trivial. I'm sure when Scotty is a more seasoned performer, he'll lose some of the mannerisms you find irritating. Frankly, I'd rather watch Scotty tilting his head than some of the antics the stars who come on this show call peforming.
    My guess is that we are majoring in the minor here! I think that every single one of them is going to lose the irritating, irksome mannerisms that are bothering folks on here, and that is not limited to just Scotty.

That includes Jacob and his glances, that includes Haley and her arm motions, that includes Lauren and her hair and dress choices, that includes Pia who limits herself to ballads, needs to learn to connect more to the audience, and to develop the ability to move around in stage presence, that includes Stefano who needs to learn to connect and emote, that includes James who needs to perhaps be more flexible and willing to broaden his horizons to something more than just flashy hard metal, and that includes the incredibly talent Casey who is still somehow an enormous hit or a lacking something miss.

This is the beginning for these kids, not the finished product by a long stretch.
    Again, all we have to do is take a look back at Carrie Underwood and see where she was with her talent and almost no stage presence and no style, but look at her now! That is coaching!!
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    My guess is that we are majoring in the minor here! I think that every single one of them is going to lose the irritating, irksome mannerisms that are bothering folks on here, and that is not limited to just Scotty.

That includes Jacob and his glances, that includes Haley and her arm motions, that includes Lauren and her hair and dress choices, that includes Pia who limits herself to ballads, needs to learn to connect more to the audience, and to develop the ability to move around in stage presence, that includes Stefano who needs to learn to connect and emote, that includes James who needs to perhaps be more flexible and willing to broaden his horizons to something more than just flashy hard metal, and that includes the incredibly talent Casey who is still somehow an enormous hit or a lacking something miss.

This is the beginning for these kids, not the finished product by a long stretch.
    Again, all we have to do is take a look back at Carrie Underwood and see where she was with her talent and almost no stage presence and no style, but look at her now! That is coaching!!
    Great post, I totally agree with everything you said. If we look back on past seasons, I'm sure we can find something to nit pick at with every contestant who every walked onto an Idol stage. Isn't the whole premise of this show to take an unpolished talent and give them a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    "perform together"? I never mentioned a performer constantly tilting their head....OR , more than one performer performing together.
    That's my point. Unlke other performers, Scotty has sung entire songs with his head to the side. Obviously, all performers move their heads occasionally, but Scotty has been over-the-top with this.

I agree with those who say that are always performers on AI with irritating habits--even those singers we like, like Scotty. But most of the quirks are inadvertent offshoots of their personalities (or lack thereof). Jacob is an over-emotional guy, so he was over-the-top with exuberance in the early part of the show. Pia is the opposite, a highly controlled woman who couldn't let loose onstage. But these are inadvertent offshoots of their personalities, not deliberate performing choices. In fact, Jacob deliberately made the choice to tone down his natural personality after Iovine mentioned it. Which is great. On the other hand, no one apparently told Pia to up her emotional connection. So she lost out.

On the other hand Scotty has clearly has chosen to pose himself in a particular way onstage--it's some kind of deliberate performing technique, which he must think is cute or coy or appealing. And he has also chosen to hold the mic in a certain way. Same with Haley, another great singer. She has chosen to whip her arm up in the air because she thinks that will draw attention to herself better onstage. These quirks are not inadvertent aspects of their performing--they are front-and-center strategy techniqes that they have chosen to do. This is what boggels my mind.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-16-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    That's my point. Unlke other performers, Scotty has sung entire songs with his head to the side. Obviously, all performers move their heads occasionally, but Scotty has been over-the-top with this.

I agree with those who say that are always performers on AI with irritating habits--even those singers we like, like Scotty. But most of the quirks are inadvertent offshoots of their personalities (or lack thereof). Jacob is an over-emotional guy, so he was over-the-top with exuberance in the early part of the show. Pia is the opposite, a highly controlled woman who couldn't let loose onstage. But these are inadvertent offshoots of their personalities, not deliberate performing choices. In fact, Jacob deliberately made the choice to tone down his natural personality after Iovine mentioned it. Which is great. On the other hand, no one apparently told Pia to up her emotional connection. So she lost out.

On the other hand Scotty has clearly has chosen to pose himself in a particular way onstage--it's some kind of deliberate performing technique, which he must think is cute or coy or appealing. And he has also chosen to hold the mic in a certain way. Same with Haley, another great singer. She has chosen to whip her arm up in the air because she thinks that will draw attention to herself better onstage. These quirks are not inadvertent aspects of their performing--they are front-and-center strategy techniqes that they have chosen to do. This is what boggels my mind.
    I'm not sure who it needs to be to tell them to stop these particular gestures, but I have no doubt in my mind that somewhere down the road the right person will do so. I can't imagine one of the judges saying, "Scotty, the song sounded great, man, but you need to hold the mic straight when you sing," or "Haley, great rendition of that song, but your arm flailing through the air is distracting."
    Maybe those pieces of advice should be passed backstage to the guy working with them.
    At this point, I wonder if any of those people are even aware of what we - the audience - even think?
    Perhaps if they knew, they might help the kids to work on these things, but then again, how in the world do we let them know these kinds of things?
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

I'm not sure who it needs to be to tell them to stop these particular gestures, but I have no doubt in my mind that somewhere down the road the right person will do so. I can't imagine one of the judges saying, "Scotty, the song sounded great, man, but you need to hold the mic straight when you sing," or "Haley, great rendition of that song, but your arm flailing through the air is distracting."
    Maybe those pieces of advice should be passed backstage to the guy working with them.
    At this point, I wonder if any of those people are even aware of what we - the audience - even think?
    Perhaps if they knew, they might help the kids to work on these things, but then again, how in the world do we let them know these kinds of things?
    Simon would have told him, and he would be right too.

You're right, Bloomers. On down the road as they pursue their musical careers, the right "coach" will help and tell them.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

You're right, Bloomers. On down the road as they pursue their musical careers, the right "coach" will help and tell them.
    I have no doubt in my mind he will be working with some very talented people willing to help him become successful after Idol ends. Will Scotty be willing to take that advice and improve things they feel he should work on? Time will tell.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    I have no doubt in my mind he will be working with some very talented people willing to help him become successful after Idol ends. Will Scotty be willing to take that advice and improve things they feel he should work on? Time will tell.
    If Scotty is working with someone who is working with other successful artists, I would think he would be anxious to take that person's advice. Otherwise, it would be the equivalent of shooting himself in the foot. At least in my mind that is the way I see it?
    That is basically the way I see it with all of them. When they get away from Idol and start working professionally, someone that they are paying to coach them will tell them what is a "no go". They will be foolish to disregard that person's advice, especially if that person has represented or worked with other successful artists.

+ Reply to Thread