+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lauren Alaina Season 10

FORT Fan

Re: Lauren Alaina Season 10

Lauren's issue is that she has not personified any of the lyrics -- she has no idea what the text means and chooses songs that offer her no personal knowledge of the meaning. In order to truly portray a song, one needs to have experience and responsibility to the song. Lauren sings with a big, strong and gorgeous voice but, like Pia, appears to have given no thought to the lyrics. A great voice is not enough in a competition such as American Idol.

I really like her, but she is too young and immature to excel this year.

The riffs y'all were referring to is a singing technique called melisma. It broadly means singing one syllable over several notes in quick succession. Archuleta did that a lot during his season too. I guess I am too much a purist and I would rather hear someone sing a song with laser-like accuracy than to swoop all around a note.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebella View Post
    The riffs y'all were referring to is a singing technique called melisma. It broadly means singing one syllable over several notes in quick succession. Archuleta did that a lot during his season too. I guess I am too much a purist and I would rather hear someone sing a song with laser-like accuracy than to swoop all around a note.
    Thank you! That's the term I've been search for.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fan

Melismas, in general, were never intended to be haphazard as pop singers demonstrate today. As far back as Mozart (in fact, even farther), sixteenth note melismas were very common and written to show the agility of the voice and the depth of diaphramatic breath. Mozart and his contemporaries had no problem composing sixteenth note melismas that lasted up to eight measures without a break in phrasing. They were precisely composed, and never encouraged the improvisation that singers utilize today.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebella View Post
    ....I so agree. I think when used excessively,this singing technique used by many of these kids = inability to sustain a note.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Beehive View Post
    ....I so agree. I think when used excessively,this singing technique used by many of these kids = inability to sustain a note.
    Good answer -- melismas are NOW used to cover up tonal issues rather than to show off their vocal agility.

Quote Originally Posted by Beehive View Post
    I think a lot of the kids can sing the notes, but they mistakenly think that the melisma is a style they must follow. Melisma can be great, but it requires strong breath control and a precise sense of timing and lyric phrasing. The irony is, Lauren's solid vocal tone and range have been obscured by her amateruish use of the technique.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

I was away and missed last week's show so I had to rely on newspaper sources. I was just verifying that she was really in the B2---not like the random thing that put Scotty there the previous week. If so , that is quite a tumble for her....almost the annointed winner when we first met her and a big bost for H....who looked like she was going down weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I was away and missed last week's show so I had to rely on newspaper sources. I was just verifying that she was really in the B2---not like the random thing that put Scotty there the previous week. If so , that is quite a tumble for her....almost the annointed winner when we first met her and a big bost for H....who looked like she was going down weeks ago.

Lauren did say tonight in her package piece she was in the bottom two last week, but I don't remember Ryan using those exact words when she was standing next to Jacob. Was she really the second to last vote getter last week?
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    Lauren did say tonight in her package piece she was in the bottom two last week, but I don't remember Ryan using those exact words when she was standing next to Jacob. Was she really the second to last vote getter last week?
    Yes, I remember Ryan directly saying she and Jacob were, indeed, the bottom two. As predicted by many, she did much better this week. And also as many predicted, she was praised to the skies this week, "Lauren is BACK!"

That combined with last week's tears may have been enough to save her -- I don't know. I'd rather see her go home, myself.

+ Reply to Thread