+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lauren Alaina Season 10

To the Point

Re: Lauren Alaina Season 10

Every year the pressure of this show truly takes a toll. This year I would say that Lauren and Jacob both suffered terribly as a result. Based on the show on which Miley appeared and talked with her, I think that Lauren has been as shaken by the public feedback as anything else. Her confidence has been shaken. This young girl is mad talented, however, the pressure has stolen her ability to make the most of what she has. She seems to doubt herself more and more.

I believe Lauren would have benefitted from waiting a couple of years to try out, assuming the show is still on. She is 16 and definitely would have been better off with additional growth and maturity. Scotty, on the other hand, is about the same age but is very mature and confident and definitely comfortable in his own skin. I do feel empathy for Lauren and hope she eventually has a successful career.

Quote Originally Posted by JMFan View Post
    I believe Lauren would have benefitted from waiting a couple of years to try out, assuming the show is still on. She is 16 and definitely would have been better off with additional growth and maturity. Scotty, on the other hand, is about the same age but is very mature and confident and definitely comfortable in his own skin. I do feel empathy for Lauren and hope she eventually has a successful career.
    That is true. He seems older then he is.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JMFan View Post
    Ahh, herein is the rub. There is no guarantee how long the show will be on. If I had that kind of talent, and I were age qualified, I would have tried out as well.

If you don't get to the depot on time, you will miss your train!
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

To the Point

And while most AI contestants have limited success post show, they are probably still much more likely to make it as a result of the exposure and experience than if they had never had this opportunity. I have a friend who is mad talented when it comes to playing ANY instrument. I'm not sure there is anything he can't play with some success, but if it's stringed he can kill it. However, he spent years in Nashville playing tons of demos and various other types of opportunities, yet he never could get the break he was hoping to achieve. Over time it just wore on him and he moved back to his hometown. I have NO idea what he does for a living now, but the music has been moved to the role of great hobby. It's a real shame because he truly is beyond gifted. All that to say that the contacts that these guys may gain as a result of this experience may make all the difference. It's a tough, tough business.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I'm no music expert. I'll try to explain. The country riffs is this stylized vibrato where you don't only sing the note but you decorate it with trills. It's hard to explain. There's probably a term for it. Where is Liedenfrost when need you Liednfrost?
    --
    ---
    Oh, do you mean what is referred to as twang? I guess I prefer country riffs to R&B riffs because I don't notice it as much with country.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Oh, do you mean what is referred to as twang? I guess I prefer country riffs to R&B riffs because I don't notice it as much with country.
    Help. Not twang. Lemme try again. It's like R&B riffs, where you embellish one note with other notes. It's improvising, but perhaps less than the standard R&B riffs. Listen to her next time and notice when she tries to do this. You'll know what I'm talking about. Interestingly, I don't think Scotty does it much, if it all, perhaps because he is more traditional country. I think that's one of Scotty's charms, he sings the songs pretty straight, relying on his solid vocals to convey a simple story.
    --
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-06-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Help. Not twang. Lemme try again. It's like R&B riffs, where you embellish one note with other notes. It's improvising, but perhaps less than the standard R&B riffs. Listen to her next time and notice when she tries to do this. You'll know what I'm talking about. Interestingly, I don't think Scotty does it much, if it all, perhaps because he is more traditional country. I think that's one of Scotty's charms, he sings the songs pretty straight, relying on his solid vocals to convey a simple story.
    --
    ---
    I think I know what you mean now, like the R&B riffs except not as pronounced? I really don't care for that much, but its less annoying in the country version to me than the R&B version. That's one reason I love Scotty, he's pure country and reminds me of the days when I really loved country.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

--
    ---
    I know what you mean and not sure there is a term for it. They can put a country spin on any song with a timber and inflection in their voice that is the signature for country music. Scotty fought to keep that at bay when he sang that song that I forget. He lapsed into it a little a couple of times. It is on the very far edge of a yodel.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I know what you mean and not sure there is a term for it. They can put a country spin on any song with a timber and inflection in their voice that is the signature for country music. Scotty fought to keep that at bay when he sang that song that I forget. He lapsed into it a little a couple of times. It is on the very far edge of a yodel.
    Yes, that's kind of what it approaches. It's difficult to do naturally, and I can see that Lauren uses a lot of concentration when she does it. I think she is also hyper-focused on her arm movements and body position. The irony is, if she would just sing a song straight and simply while standing still, her beautiful voice could shine through, unsullied.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread