+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacob Lusk Season 10

Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Excellent! Thanks. Will it include groups? There is something different about it.

This article mostly explains the similarities and differences between X Factor and American Idol:

Simon Cowell's 'X Factor' Vs. 'American Idol': What's The Difference?

Simon Cowell's 'X Factor' Vs. 'American Idol': What's The Difference? - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

FORT Fogey

Thanks. ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    I know I have said this before but I would like someone who is a fan of Adam Lambert, Siobhan Magnus, or James Durbin to tell me how they can justify not liking Jacob because "he is too dramatic" when he sings while liking any of those 3.
    I agree. I am a fan of Adam and Siobhan and I love Jacob. All three have great vocal ranges, big personalities and theatrical demeanors. Earlier, Jacob was not controlled enough with the theatrics, but he has toned them down to a beautiful, soulful level in the last two performances. I expect he will continue to maintain that control, just as did Adam (who also sometimes let his theatricality overwhelm his emotional connection to his songs). (Siobhan had her own difficulties with theatricality).
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I agree. I am a fan of Adam and Siobhan and I love Jacob. All three have great vocal ranges, big personalities and theatrical demeanors. Earlier, Jacob was not controlled enough with the theatrics, but he has toned them down to a beautiful, soulful level in the last two performances. I expect he will continue to maintain that control, just as did Adam (who also sometimes let his theatricality overwhelm his emotional connection to his songs). (Siobhan had her own difficulties with theatricality).
    ---
    I guess it's just a matter of personal taste, then. I'm a big fan of Adam, Siobhan, and James and yet I just can't get the Jacob love. I agree, he's been able to reign it in and have more control over his delivery these last 1 or 2 weeks, but he is oftentimes not on key (when he loses that control), and his overall demeanor is so angsty (I'm sure that's not a word). Not every song has to sung at that level from start to finish. Adam had his screams, but the entire song wasn't made up of that same fevered pitch. I guess I'm just not a fan of that type of overly dramatic, over-the-top performance. Adam, especially, is just in a league on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf! View Post
    Not every song has to sung at that level from start to finish. Adam had his screams, but the entire song wasn't made up of that same fevered pitch. I guess I'm just not a fan of that type of overly dramatic, over-the-top performance. Adam, especially, is just in a league on his own.

Actually, Jacob modulates from soft to louder and back to softer, frequently, and he has been done this especially well with a couple of ballads recently. I remember songs where Adam did this well too, but other songs that he screamed from start to finish.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Jacob was brilliant last night. He was restrained and soulful but powerful. He is a star. I'm thrilled he did a song performed by Art Garfunkel (written by Simon), because Jacob and Garfunkel have similar vocal ranges and emotional depth (though obviously they have very different styles). Several days ago, I actually was dreaming about what if Jacob sang Garfunkel's "All I Know" because of some parallels in their vocal ranges. And now Jimmy picked another Garfunkel record, which Jacob gave his own interpretation to. It think that song choice was particularly helpful to Jacob, because the lyrics require restraint--and he showed it beautifully.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf! View Post
    Not every song has to sung at that level from start to finish. Adam had his screams, but the entire song wasn't made up of that same fevered pitch. I guess I'm just not a fan of that type of overly dramatic, over-the-top performance. Adam, especially, is just in a league on his own.
    I don't hear Jacob screaming from start to finish. He has a much bigger range than Adam and Adam threw that scream in whether it added anything to the song or not (usually it didn't). That scream is just an attention getter, look at me! look what I can do! And I find it mostly very annoying. Not that I dislike Adam, but I definitely don't think he was the best singer Idol ever produced (not even close).

Jacob would do well to pick a gospel song and come out with no holds barred. He is gospel completely and I'd love to see it.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Jacob would do well to pick a gospel song and come out with no holds barred. He is gospel completely and I'd love to see it.
    Absolutely. He should let a gospel song fly out--at least once. He would bring the house down--again. The thing is, somebody like Scotty can just sing country songs, and folks say that's his "niche" and that's acceptable. But if Jason only sang gospel songs, I fear he would be accused of lacking stylistic range for the AI contest. After the AI season, he can sing anything he wants. But I suspect he has too much talent to just stick to one niche.

Speaking of Scotty and Jacob, if Jacob keeps up the great work, I think this contest will boil down to these two in the finals. Talk about opposites! Whoa. It will be like the Twilight Zone.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Speaking of Scotty and Jacob, if Jacob keeps up the great work, I think this contest will boil down to these two in the finals. Talk about opposites! Whoa. It will be like the Twilight Zone.
    --
    It will be a major win for Jacob to make it to the Final 4, I just don't see him being able to get past Scotty, Lauren, & James Durbin. He has a slight chance to maybe sneak past Scotty/Lauren since they have a similar fan base, but I doubt it.

I can see Jacob making a gospel record and it being successful. However, I think he sounds the same no matter what he is singing.

He has screamed in most of his performances even if the song didn't require him to.

Adam and Jacob have different styles. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

The only thing similar is they scream and are known for extending notes. JMO
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

+ Reply to Thread