+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 222

Thread: Jacob Lusk Season 10

  1. #41
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

    I love Jacob. I can't wait to see how he sings each week. He has incredible interpretive skills---no one this year can match his connection to the lyrics. His phrasing is unique, and his vocal range is superb. I will go to his concerts after the show is over.

    Unfortunately, his comment that if folks don't vote for him it's because they can't "look themselves in the mirror" was dumb and potentially insulting. I hope this one remark doesn't get him booted off. None of the other contestants have thrilled me the way Jacob has. I want him to say around longer!
    ====
    ====
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

  2. #42
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,102

    Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

    I can't understand why people take that kind of thing personally, but I guess they do. He's in this competition, and he's excited. That's all I see.

    I am still on his side! He pleases me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  3. #43
    FORT Fogey LuvThisStuf!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Luv this location!
    Posts
    837

    Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

    I kinda like Jacob's personality and think he's probably a very nice person overall.....it's just his overly dramatic, pitchy singing, with over-the-top runs that I don't care for. I wish him well, but think he's going home tonight.

  4. #44
    FORT Fogey Misty8723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,371

    Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I can't understand why people take that kind of thing personally, but I guess they do. He's in this competition, and he's excited. That's all I see.

    I am still on his side! He pleases me.
    I don't take it personally, I just think it sounds very conceited. Couldn't possibly be voted off because I sing bad! Gotta be you! I'm not a fan of his singing. Probably if I were, I'd be less critical of things like that.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

  5. #45
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,905

    Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I love Jacob. I can't wait to see how he sings each week. He has incredible interpretive skills---no one this year can match his connection to the lyrics. His phrasing is unique, and his vocal range is superb. I will go to his concerts after the show is over.

    Unfortunately, his comment that if folks don't vote for him it's because they can't "look themselves in the mirror" was dumb and potentially insulting. I hope this one remark doesn't get him booted off. None of the other contestants have thrilled me the way Jacob has. I want him to say around longer!
    ====
    ====
    Jacob has a powerful voice. When he sings a song like " A House Is Not a Home" and emotes, he has the capability of moving the majority of the audience; however, imo he needs helps in several areas. Right off, he needs someone to help him filter his thoughts and comments. If he alienates people, they won't vote for him regardless of how well he sings, and later people won't buy his music.
    Next, someone is going to need to coach him and help him with stage presence. I love to hear him sing, but I am having trouble watching him. Mannerisms are learned behavior ( those side glances, flouncing around and that type thing).
    Some of those things are annoying, but I think if someone shows him video and points out the things, he would be willing to work hard to break the things that bother people.
    Dismissing Jacob because of the things that can be corrected and disregarding all of the potential is kind of like throwing out the baby with the bath water to me.

    Who knows? Maybe Jacob could even follow Larnel Harris and Ron Kenole both black artists with powerful voices who have had long, fantastic careers in contemporary Gospel music.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

  6. #46
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    873

    Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

    Jacob has a special talent, and AI is a very large platform he's performing on. I chalk his comments up to a young singer who isn't media savvy. I won't crucify the kid for one comment. Many other media personalities have said much worse, and not been negatively affected. These are folks who've had media training! Jacob has a lot to learn, and I do wish him the best in his career.

  7. #47
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    84

    Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

    I've been a musician most my life and one thing I've noticed is that it takes more than talent to be a good performer--the performer has to have something good inside to *give* to others. I am certain there are artists who manage to be complete narcissist jerks who are able to rise above this requirement of being a good person to really reach others with their music, but those artists are the exception. This is closely tied to having "life experience" idea...ever wince when you hear someone who has clearly never been in love or in a serious relationship try to sing about lost love or about a sexual relationship? Because it doesn't work. The other week Thia M. sang about love and separation and said in her bio-video that she was going to think about her brother who left for college when she was about 8 (according to the pictures). No surprise she went home that week. The emotional anchor was tied to a 15 year old's recollection of sad feelings when she was 8 years old, and the actual separation was far from life-shattering.

    To my point--I don't think Jacob is a very "nice" kid right now--he is conceited, rude, arrogant. If he talks like that when he knows the cameras are on him, I hate to think what he says when they are not. He is also young. Jacob is trying to sing very deep, emotional songs, but he is doing it paint-by-numbers and NOT from a personal deep place. He may have some personal experiences he can draw upon, but he honestly isn't going there and has shielded his viewers from seeing very deeply into him. Jacob is a good copy cat of other emotional performers--he can toss a bit of originality in there, too. But he does not touch me because he refuses to give from a deeper place.

    This is a harsh assessment, but if he were to read it and take it to heart, it would only help him. He sings for himself and his glory. He isn't *giving* me, the audience, comfort of a shared painful experience, he is singing solo in the shower.

    Last night I really really missed Simon. No one on the judges panel is giving deeper critiques of what isn't "quite right" about the performances. Jacob needs some harsh critiques that address these more subtle aspects of the art.
    Last edited by Annika; 04-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.

  8. #48
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    Jacob is trying to sing very deep, emotional songs, but he is doing it paint-by-numbers and NOT from a personal deep place. He may have some personal experiences he can draw upon, but he honestly isn't going there and has shielded his viewers from seeing very deeply into him. Jacob is a good copy cat of other emotional performers--he can toss a bit of originality in there, too. But he does not touch me because he refuses to give from a deeper place.
    With all do respect, I disagree. Jacob is an original and he definitely is not doing his performances by paint-by-numbers (that's Pia's territory). Jacob has a great, distinctive style that is recognizable on recordings-- (I've listened to the audio). He always moves me when he sings, because he can wrench the emotion out of anything---sometimes in an overdone way--but lately just the right amount. I would say everybody else on the show is copying someone else--while Jacob (for better or worse) is singing his own tune.
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

  9. #49
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    I've been a musician most my life and one thing I've noticed is that it takes more than talent to be a good performer--the performer has to have something good inside to *give* to others. I am certain there are artists who manage to be complete narcissist jerks who are able to rise above this requirement of being a good person to really reach others with their music, but those artists are the exception. This is closely tied to having "life experience" idea...ever wince when you hear someone who has clearly never been in love or in a serious relationship try to sing about lost love or about a sexual relationship? Because it doesn't work. The other week Thia M. sang about love and separation and said in her bio-video that she was going to think about her brother who left for college when she was about 8 (according to the pictures). No surprise she went home that week. The emotional anchor was tied to a 15 year old's recollection of sad feelings when she was 8 years old, and the actual separation was far from life-shattering.

    To my point--I don't think Jacob is a very "nice" kid right now--he is conceited, rude, arrogant. If he talks like that when he knows the cameras are on him, I hate to think what he says when they are not. He is also young. Jacob is trying to sing very deep, emotional songs, but he is doing it paint-by-numbers and NOT from a personal deep place. He may have some personal experiences he can draw upon, but he honestly isn't going there and has shielded his viewers from seeing very deeply into him. Jacob is a good copy cat of other emotional performers--he can toss a bit of originality in there, too. But he does not touch me because he refuses to give from a deeper place.

    This is a harsh assessment, but if he were to read it and take it to heart, it would only help him. He sings for himself and his glory. He isn't *giving* me, the audience, comfort of a shared painful experience, he is singing solo in the shower.

    Last night I really really missed Simon. No one on the judges panel is giving deeper critiques of what isn't "quite right" about the performances. Jacob needs some harsh critiques that address these more subtle aspects of the art.

    I think you make some interesting comments about Jacob. I have been trying to figure out why I can't enjoy his performances. At first I thought it was him being off key, but last night, I think he sang the song very well. He wasn't off like usual, however, I didn't enjoy it at all. I love the song he did. IT's one of my very favorites, but I didn't care for the performance at all.

    He does have fans and they post here and say they do get him and adore him. I just can't figure out what I'm missing. Perhaps it's just personal taste, but you could have a point.

    I didn't catch the comment he made that people are so upset about. It went right over my head, so I know that's not the problem with me.

  10. #50
    FORT Fogey mesachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my horse.
    Posts
    3,018

    Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    I've been a musician most my life and one thing I've noticed is that it takes more than talent to be a good performer--the performer has to have something good inside to *give* to others. I am certain there are artists who manage to be complete narcissist jerks who are able to rise above this requirement of being a good person to really reach others with their music, but those artists are the exception. This is closely tied to having "life experience" idea...ever wince when you hear someone who has clearly never been in love or in a serious relationship try to sing about lost love or about a sexual relationship? Because it doesn't work. The other week Thia M. sang about love and separation and said in her bio-video that she was going to think about her brother who left for college when she was about 8 (according to the pictures). No surprise she went home that week. The emotional anchor was tied to a 15 year old's recollection of sad feelings when she was 8 years old, and the actual separation was far from life-shattering.

    To my point--I don't think Jacob is a very "nice" kid right now--he is conceited, rude, arrogant. If he talks like that when he knows the cameras are on him, I hate to think what he says when they are not. He is also young. Jacob is trying to sing very deep, emotional songs, but he is doing it paint-by-numbers and NOT from a personal deep place. He may have some personal experiences he can draw upon, but he honestly isn't going there and has shielded his viewers from seeing very deeply into him. Jacob is a good copy cat of other emotional performers--he can toss a bit of originality in there, too. But he does not touch me because he refuses to give from a deeper place.

    This is a harsh assessment, but if he were to read it and take it to heart, it would only help him. He sings for himself and his glory. He isn't *giving* me, the audience, comfort of a shared painful experience, he is singing solo in the shower.

    Last night I really really missed Simon. No one on the judges panel is giving deeper critiques of what isn't "quite right" about the performances. Jacob needs some harsh critiques that address these more subtle aspects of the art.
    ICAM with this post. When Jacob said what he did about if he went home it would be only because we (the audience) didn't look in the mirror, I was taken aback. Just because I don't like Jacob's performance doesn't mean there is necessarily something wrong with me that I need to change lol. I just don't like Jacob as an artist. No amount of me staring in my mirror will change that fact.

    Too bad he said that too, because I thought last night was actually a pretty good job. I didn't even feel the need to FF through it like I normally do. Unfortunately his comment was a complete turn off.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.