+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacob Lusk Season 10

Re: Jacob Lusk Season 10

He's got an erie talent. With training, he could be brilliant. I wonder what the professional mentors will do with him? My guess is they'll tone down the volume and the facial mugging.
    ---
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

To the Point

He is incredibly talented, however, I can only stand so much of this particular style. I think he seems like he would be such a nice guy. Obviously that has nothing to do with his ability, just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    He's got an erie talent. With training, he could be brilliant. I wonder what the professional mentors will do with him? My guess is they'll tone down the volume and the facial mugging.
    ---
    ---
    Jimmy Iovine has already told him to tone it down, the Dawg went just the opposite. It all depends on who Jacob pays attention to.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    I think he needs to belt right now. Its a good strategy to make it into the top 10. But belting isn't a great long-term strategy. Look what happened to Siobhan last season. Adam Lambert belted/screamed a lot but he also took a break from it every now and then.

Jacob is not what I am looking for in an idol but his talent is so rare that I might bend my own standards. I don't think he will make it past top 8 though. I hope I am wrong but I have already heard Siobhan and Adam Lambert fans hypocritically criticize him for screaming a lot. If he can't get those sort of people on his side, it might be tough for him to make it far.
    So-called "screaming" if done in tune, with perfect pitch and fantastic control, like Adam does it, is not screaming at all. It's a rare, rare talent to sing like that and many a singer would give half a lung to be able to do it. Well, at least the serious ones who understand how incredibly difficult it is to do that right and the kind of technical mastery you need to get to that level. Jacob is quite different because I don't think he's got the versatility to sing everything from pop to opera like Adam can, but he has really good control and he doesn't scream either. He can work on the facial expressions and while his style is not club bunny current, he's got that smooth crooner thing down cold.

I don't think he'll go far or burn up the charts with a future release - none of them will, in fact - but technically speaking the dude is really, really good.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    So-called "screaming" if done in tune, with perfect pitch and fantastic control, like Adam does it, is not screaming at all. It's a rare, rare talent to sing like that and many a singer would give half a lung to be able to do it. Well, at least the serious ones who understand how incredibly difficult it is to do that right and the kind of technical mastery you need to get to that level.
    It might be a rare talent, but its not pleasant to listen to that scream in every song. Strategically placed, it can add to a song. Usually, it just sounds gratuitous and grates on me after a while.

Jacob doesn't seem like a screamer to me, he sounds like he'd be at home in a church choir.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

IMO, screaming is what those rocker-types do. Jacob does not scream. He has power in his voice, and is able to skillfully manipulate his voice.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    It might be a rare talent, but its not pleasant to listen to that scream in every song. Strategically placed, it can add to a song. Usually, it just sounds gratuitous and grates on me after a while.

Jacob doesn't seem like a screamer to me, he sounds like he'd be at home in a church choir.
    Of course it's strategically placed. I've never heard anyone go off for an entire song like that.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Of course it's strategically placed. I've never heard anyone go off for an entire song like that.
    I mean not in every song they sing!
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Of course he is talented....just over the top in every aspect. As far as Randy saying that the Hollywood performance was the best ever...well that is Randy's opinion. Jacob was told to tone the fancy stuff down by industry pros....Randy said go for it. I guess America will be the final judge. But he really NEEDS to stop the side way glances. I cound't figure out what he was looking at and it is an unattractive distraction

"A House is Not a Home" is one of my favorite songs, and Jacob really touched me with certain parts of the tune. The song was first made famous by the great Dionne Warwick, who is the master of subtle, tone-downed vocal phrasing. If only she could mentor Jacob....

Although Luther Vandross also recorded the song, Jacob's style is not really like Luther's--- I don't see how Jennifer Lopez can say they are similar. Luther was a classic jazz vocal stylist. Jacob (notwithstanding the Luther vocal runs) is more of a diva singer, along the lines of Whitney Houston (and that's a compliment).
    ----
    ----
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread