+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Haley Reinhart Season 10

FORT Fogey

Re: Haley Reinhart Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Normally, I would agree about not following the judges' advice. But I think the Janice Joplin song choice worked in her favor last night: Haley showcased her great voice and soul while avoiding the faux-sexpot stage maneuvers. [Some of her growling sounded fake, tho.]
    ---
    Man, it is hard to do Janis....You have to go way back in the day and remember that Janis was on heroin and probably acid too. There is no telling what else contributed to all of the grit and angst and bit of trash that was Janis and that is not Haley.
    Janis, bless her heart, was one messed up person in retrospect, thinking back, reading about her, and listening to her music. If she had lived, she would have probably blown out her vocal chords singing the raw gutsy way she did.
    I was a young teen-ager, and I remember thinking that if I talked (some of the words) like Janis sang, I wouldn't be anything left but a greasy spot on the wall. She was just wild. Wild.

No wonder Haley with her lack of experience didn't come any closer than she did last night.
    Props for as close as the clean-cut girl that we saw last night did come.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

The studio version is much better IMO.

Haley Reinhart - Piece Of My Heart (Studio Version)

Thanks, Unklescott. The studio version was much better - but I still hated the ending. Ugh. Why does everyone think that elaborate runs make an artist?

I still can't hear a Janis Joplin cover without thinking about Crystal. Here's what I found from Crystal's season:

YouTube - ToP 11 - cRYSTaL BoWeRSoX "Me aNd BoBBY McGee" BY JaNiS JoPLiN (1971)

And if you watch the whole thing, including the judges' comments, you'll see why I miss Simon. You can take his comment about the other singers and apply it to the majority of folks we're watching now. I didn't hear anything rude or mean or nasty or whatever in what he said. It was the truth, and something that's sorely missing in the judges lineup today.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    The studio version is much better IMO.

Haley Reinhart - Piece Of My Heart (Studio Version)
    Thanks for posting this. I loved both versions.

I thought Haley did a better job with this song then Crystal did last season. JMO
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Can I just say again, this show IS NOT MISSING SIMON COWELL. Thanks I feel better.

But I am

(I feel a little better too )

FORT Regular

Hayley is where she should be ... top 2 females.

Second best performance.
    Last edited by sheesh; 04-08-2011 at 12:50 PM.

FORT Regular

I had zero interest in her until she blasted out some Janis last week. Suddenly, she's got my attention. For the first time, I'm really looking forward to what she does next week... and there are very few contestants I can that about his season.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

FORT Regular

I've always felt she was the best of the girls, although Lauren is right there too.

She's not comfortable in her own skin ... tries to mask that. She has yet to fully commit. I think fear of losing plus not knowing who she is yet. Sings distracted, like ADHD. I'd be all up in her face like Jamie Foxx did in prior season. Knock that "I don't care" attitude out of her quick. Needs to mature.

But .... in that ^YouTube link above .... she's effortlessly great, even though she's not "there"/connected to the words. Layers of depth in that voice.

Too bad she can't win, as she's the next "threat to little girls" that will be voted off.

+ Reply to Thread