+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Haley Reinhart Season 10

Re: Haley Reinhart Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Don't worry, everyone is predicting that my favorite, Jacob, will leave.
    ---
    ---
    Aww. Thanks for the support. I think Jacob actually did well enough last night and there is a good chance he could be safe this week.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    Aww. Thanks for the support. I think Jacob actually did well enough last night and there is a good chance he could be safe this week.
    You're welcome. Actually, if Jacob survives, it will be a big upset at the FORT Prediction Game Thread.
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-28-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

I'm not sure whether youth is the reason for the lyric-connection problem. After all, Judy Garland could break people's hearts with her poignant singing at the age of 16. Barbra Streisand was emoting beautifully at 18. Michael Jackson could powerfully wrench the meaning out of a lyric at the age of 10. And don't get me started on "little Stevie" Wonder .

You make a very good point, pillbeam. This crop of singers is young, but more than that, they lack life experience to really get the meaning of these songs. Maybe it's this generation. Back in Judy's time kids grew up fast. And we all know Michael had less than an idyllic childhood.

FORT Fogey

I'm not sure whether youth is the reason for the lyric-connection problem. After all, Judy Garland could break people's hearts with her poignant singing at the age of 16. Barbra Streisand was emoting beautifully at 18. Michael Jackson could powerfully wrench the meaning out of a lyric at the age of 10. And don't get me started on "little Stevie" Wonder .
    I agree. Everyone matures differently. Just saying Haley seems, to me, that she needs more time in the public eye to develop a public personna and mature personally.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf! View Post
    You make a very good point, pillbeam. This crop of singers is young, but more than that, they lack life experience to really get the meaning of these songs. Maybe it's this generation. Back in Judy's time kids grew up fast. And we all know Michael had less than an idyllic childhood.
    I think you might have a point about the generation difference. But it's an artistic issue, not a hard-knocks-life one. Back in in Judy Garland's day, singers were trained to focus on the lyrics as opposed to the stage flash. That was true for Streisand and especially Stevie Wonder. I think Haley has seen Lady Gaga and decided stage flash trumps lyrical interpretation---but that's a foolish assumption on a lyric-driven show like American Idol.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-29-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

You're welcome. Actually, if Jacob survives, it will be a big upset at the FORT Prediction Game Thread.
    ---
    I don't know about the upset because I think just about all of us predicted Jacob. I know with Ryan and his "random order" I really screwed up this week.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I don't know about the upset because I think just about all of us predicted Jacob. I know with Ryan and his "random order" I really screwed up this week.
    Me too, but I did make a comment on the prediction threat that there could be a surprise and someone besides Jacob could go home. Oh well, I ignored my instincts. (It was too late to edit my vote.)

I think you might have a point about the generation difference. But it's an artistic issue, not a hard-knocks-life one. Back in in Judy Garland's day, singers were trained to focus on the lyrics as opposed to the stage flash. That was true for Streisand and especially Stevie Wonder. I think Haley has seen Lady Gaga and decided stage flash trumps lyrical interpretation---but that's a foolish assumption on a lyric-driven show like American Idol.
    Sadly, stage flash is what people seem to want these days.

I'm really not seeing what people are panning Haley for though, because its more the norm on this show than the rare moments when someone does connect with a lyric. I can't honestly think of many times I've been moved by a performance on this show in any way. That doesn't mean I can't be entertained by it.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Haley deserved the final spot last night. She looked beautiful (TM Steven Tyler) and her vocals were impressive. Will the fans respond with votes? Or is it too late in the season? Will Casey's voters give her a boost?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Haley deserved the final spot last night. She looked beautiful (TM Steven Tyler) and her vocals were impressive. Will the fans respond with votes? Or is it too late in the season? Will Casey's voters give her a boost?
    I went from liking her from the beginning (even when everybody else seemed not to) to LOVING Haley.

I tried to vote for her last night, and got in maybe 5. Mostly I got the busy message, which I hope is a good sign.

+ Reply to Thread