+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Casey Abrams Season 10

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: Casey Abrams Season 10

I do not get the love for this guy, or why the judges wasted their save on him. I never saw the audition process or the Hollywood week, so I haven't seen his back-story. But, since then, I haven't seen anything likeable about his personality, special about his looks, or unique about his voice. He's just some unattractive guy screaming and growling and acting like he is much better than he actually is.
    The judges saving him was a waste. I cannot imagine him winning this competition. He just isn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I do not get the love for this guy, or why the judges wasted their save on him. I never saw the audition process or the Hollywood week, so I haven't seen his back-story. But, since then, I haven't seen anything likeable about his personality, special about his looks, or unique about his voice. He's just some unattractive guy screaming and growling and acting like he is much better than he actually is.
    The judges saving him was a waste. I cannot imagine him winning this competition. He just isn't good enough.
    Go and watch the videos of him in Hollywood week, you will see what the deal is. I hope this gives him a wake up call and he gets back to doing what he was doing then.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I totally agree, but the save isn't about "saving the winner" it's just for drama. The judges would never need to use the save on the winner of the competition, there's no way that they would need to be saved.

I think the save was used on Casey because he has a lot of potential in their eyes. His audition and Hollywood performances got Casey a lot of fans including the judges. It's hard to say why he got the least votes. Perhaps his fans thought he would be safe because he's been quite popular, having the death spot hurt him, or they voted for someone else they thought needed help. I did vote for him but I also threw some Paul's way.

It could just be that they wanted him on the tour. If using the save meant him going on tour as the 11th spot, even if he goes as one of the double elims next week, he'll still have come out ahead.
    Count your blessings!

If I'm remembering correctly, then nobody the judges saved went on to win. In fact, I may be wrong here, but I thought they saved somebody once only to have that person eliminated the next week--or at least soon after that. Glinda was right; it's more about drama, keeping the contestants and fans hanging, thinking that they might have another chance.

Casey was right to be stunned, though. Usually the judges wait until well into the competition before saving somebody. That's weird Casey being bottom already. Again, usually fans only get complacent well into the season (think Daughtry) when it's clear that their favorite is going to do well.

Unless, of course, people really did think those last two performances were horrible. I really loved Casey from the moment I saw him in Hollywood, but even I have been disappointed the last couple of weeks.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

There's only been a couple of saves so far. Matt Giraud was the first one and he survived the next cuts and went out 5th. Michael Lynch was lowest vote getter in the top 9 last season but was saved and went out 4th. I think it can almost be like a reset because it all depends on how worried your fans were when you could have gone home. We'll have to see with Casey. I feel if he gets back to where he was in Hollywood and also when he did "A little help from my friends".

Thanks for the info! After so many seasons, it become a blur.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by its_glinda_now View Post
    I totally agree, but the save isn't about "saving the winner" it's just for drama. The judges would never need to use the save on the winner of the competition, there's no way that they would need to be saved.
    Quote Originally Posted by its_glinda_now View Post
    I think Casey and Taylor have similar performance styles. (if you look at Casey's audition and Hollywood rounds) and I think him looking much older than he is (like Taylor did) is another reason people compare them.

Once again glinda, you expressed everything I wanted to about Casey as a performer!
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

This is the reason for my beef with the judges this season. Don't get me wrong, I like Casey and think he's an amazing musician and I think Casey's save was well deserved, but these judges are so wrapped up in their love fest that they don't know how to give honest advice. I keep saying I miss Simon - not the nasty comments, but the calling out on indulgent performances (this season is mucho indulgent, IMO), and sub par karaoke singing when we know the contestant can offer much more.

So here's the perfect example of poor judging:

Re: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*
    ST: "Perfect entertainer....Crazy-a** ego." JLo: "I don't think there is anybody out there like you...carve your own niche." Randy: "True original. You can only do you, and that is great."
    WinkyD posted this from 3/23 thread quoting the judges' comments after Casey performed. Hmmmmmmm.........anyone mention the cheesiness of the growling or give any constructive criticism? Nope. They did, however, offer him very good advice after they saved him Thursday night. Randy and JLo were all over themselves trying to tell him to just be himself, stop with the growling, etc. JLo: "Go back to being the musician that you are. No more antics, no more anything..." Randy: "You don't have to growl. Learn to connect with the audience." It wasn't a full blown, 127-point critique, but it was honest criticism and a little different from their love you-love you-you're-the-greatest, pablum.

Now I'm being indulgent but have you ever had a friend who was so sweet and told you you looked just fine in a new outfit, only to realize later that it really made your butt look huge? A really sweet person, but not very helpful. How about that friend who pulled you off to the side to tell you that your outfit made you look frumpy.....sting.....but if you tied your scarf this way it would help right now, but don't ever pair that skirt with that top again! The judges have to get over themselves and say some things that might not make them popular, but in the end they're actually helping the contestant. That's been bugging me all season. Sorry for the rant. Thanks. Just my .02 cents.
    Last edited by LuvThisStuf!; 03-27-2011 at 11:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread