+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Casey Abrams Season 10

Re: Casey Abrams Season 10

My very first cd was Nirvana and Smell's Like Teen Spirit was a fav of mine. I think it's awesome that this commerically superficial vomit inducing show has allowed for a contestant to perform a song by Nirvana. Whether it sounded good to each specific person is all in the ear of the beholder, what I was impressed with was Casey's choice... It's about being different and if a contestant can show that through all the fakeness of this show then I stand up and applaud.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    My very first cd was Nirvana and Smell's Like Teen Spirit was a fav of mine. I think it's awesome that this commerically superficial vomit inducing show has allowed for a contestant to perform a song by Nirvana. Whether it sounded good to each specific person is all in the ear of the beholder, what I was impressed with was Casey's choice... It's about being different and if a contestant can show that through all the fakeness of this show then I stand up and applaud.
    That's kind of how I feel, although my feelings for AI aren't quite so strong. Anyway, whether or not he sang it well is up for each person to judge. I'm just glad he did something that stood out, especially against the girls' sea of generic pop blandness.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by its_glinda_now View Post
    I agree with you when it comes to their performance style, but I think Taylor is a better singer. But maybe I'm bias because Taylor was my favorite for that whole season.
    Aww! Taylor had that George Clooney salt & pepper hair that made him a favorite of mine that season as well.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    I've always detested "Smells Like Teen Spirit," but I like Casey. So, when I heard he was singing it, I thought, okay maybe he can make me like it. Nope, still hate it. But I do appreciate his trying different things, that one just didn't work for me at all.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Newbie

Does anyone know more of Casey's background? His bio says he is from Calf. and I know he auditioned in Austin. Was he in Austin just for the audition or has he been playing there? Being from Austin orginally ( The Live Music Capital of the World) I know that would have been a great place for some one like Casey to hone his musical skills. Austin has a very eclectic music scene.

I don't see the comparison between Casey & Taylor at all. To me Casey has an exuberance that I love and I found Taylor just cheezy and not enjoyable to watch. Of course there's a big difference in ages which may have something to do with that for me.

I think people forget that Casey is as young as he is (20) because he doesn't look it. It's funny because in Hollywood and his audition he seemed more of an old soul but kind of reverted to his young self in the last few weeks which has hurt him. I think he's enjoying having the stage/band and is getting away from what people loved about him. I will say that even so he just makes me smile every week and I'm so happy he's on the tour after that scare last night.

I think Casey and Taylor have similar performance styles. (if you look at Casey's audition and Hollywood rounds) and I think him looking much older than he is (like Taylor did) is another reason people compare them.

I see no resemblance or likenesses in Taylor Hicks and Casey Abrams at all. Not in style, looks or voices. Taylor sang with lots of soul, where I see Casey growling, as the judges told him last night to drop the growling.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm with you, angelic. I don't see any similarities between Taylor and Casey. Taylor was much more established and in his stride than Casey. Taylor did not have to "bump around" to find his style...he knew what it was. While I did like Casey during his audition, it has been kind of frustrating watching him try to find his way. I liked getting a reminder glimpse of the Casey I really enjoyed. I never lost my affection for Taylor.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

To be fair, Taylor was 8 or 9 yrs older than Casey is now. I'd hope he'd know what direction he'd want to go musically while Casey will in time. Unfortunately Idol isn't the place you can experiment without the potential of it blowing up in your face.

+ Reply to Thread