+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Pia Toscano Season 10

Re: Pia Toscano Season 10

I suspect that the anti-Pia sentiments are not really directed at her, but are actually frustration with the media talk show hosts, journalist, judges, who misinterrupted the fact she was voted off. It's distubing for the media to be reporting it was a fluke or miscarriage of justice, when in reality it was her lack of connection with the songs and the audience. I would like for them to get it straight on that and stop shoving her down the public's throat when she needs to get some help on her connection issues.

I don't fault her, except that she needs someone to be honest with her and heed their direction. I think she is VERY talented. I don't consider her voice the problem.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    An previous post mentioned that Pia said she can move around stange but thought it might affect her vocals. Isn't that sort of like being able to chew gum & walk at the same time but choosing to not walk so it doesn't affect your chewing???
    Exactly.

The greatest stage performing vocalists of our time are those who have a commanding presence when onstage, i.e., those who connect with their audience, emitting passion and feeling during a performance. These are the performers whom, when performing allow the lyrics to tell a story and while doing so, evoke emotion in those listening to them. Such performers don't care how "ugly" they look when enunciating the words and delivering the notes, because the lyrics are conveyed through emotion. In other words, in the moment such performances are given, the performer lives those words.

This is what Pia lacks. The ability to convey true emotion in a song. There is a vast difference between true emotion and rehearsed emotion. She comes across too rehearsed. Almost as though she practiced when and where to insert runs and riffs. And this is what irks me to the core about todays music. Songs so riddled with vocal gymnastics and over-singing, that at the end of the day it becomes about impressing everyone, and not about connecting with your audience.

Should every song be a sweat-inducing, rip-roaring, heart-rendering performance? Certainly not. But when a song calls for such emotion, the singer had better do it justice and deliver the goods. I simply don't see Pia having the ability to do this.

Sadly, the only emotion she evokes in me is boredom.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 04-26-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Exactly.

The greatest stage performing vocalists of our time are those who have a commanding presence when onstage, i.e., those who connect with their audience, emitting passion and feeling during a performance. These are the performers whom, when performing allow the lyrics to tell a story and while doing so, evoke emotion in those listening to them. Such performers don't care how "ugly" they look when enunciating the words and delivering the notes, because the lyrics are conveyed through emotion. In other words, in the moment such performances are given, the performer lives those words.
    This is what Pia lacks.
    Living the emotion of the song is Jacob, a hundred times over. I love Jacob's singing, but singers don't have to believe in their emotions when they are performing----they just have to ACT like they do. The best singers are great actors. They have enough confidence to play with the tone, pacing, volume and rhythm of a song to magically appear to be expressing emotion. Pia has none of that flexibilty. She is merely singing up and down the music scale. First she's low, then a little louder, then a glory note, then she starts low again, then a little higher, ending with another glory note. It's all by rote with almost no improvising. It's like the music scale is a target and she pulls out these musical darts. When she hits all of the key notes with the darts, she has emptied her bag of darts and left us unimpressed.
    -----
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Living the emotion of the song is Jacob, a hundred times over. I love Jacob's singing, but singers don't have to believe in their emotions when they are performing----they just have to ACT like they do. The best singers are great actors. They have enough confidence to play with the tone, pacing, volume and rhythm of a song to magically appear to be expressing emotion. Pia has none of that flexibilty. She is merely singing up and down the music scale. First she's low, then a little louder, then a glory note, then she starts low again, then a little higher, ending with another glory note. It's all by rote with almost no improvising. It's like the music scale is a target and she pulls out these musical darts. When she hits all of the key notes with the darts, she has emptied her bag of darts and left us unimpressed.
    -----
    I absolutely agree with your observations on Jacob. His performances are absolutely over-reactive, over-hyper and over-the-top to the point of amateurish ridiculousness. I don't consider Jacob to be someone who commands the stage. He is merely overdoing his performances for the sake of overdoing them. But I am not referring to merely screaming and over-singing. Rather, I am talking about those who perform a song and emote the lyrics in a believable manner. Ofttimes, over the years on AI the judges have had to remind certain contestants to bring the right emotion to a song. This may have been because a contestant was smiling while singing a song with sad lyrics, or singing a song with upbeat lyrics but not showing any excitement, completely missing the message of the song and not drawing the audience in as a result. When you said, a singer should have enough confidence to play with the tone, pacing, volume and rhythm of a song to magically appear to be expressing emotion, this is so correct.

I agree with you that a singer need not literally feel the real emotions they're singing. But they should at least be sensitive enough to the words and meaning of the song to emote them the way the songwriter intended, to properly convey the song's message.

That's pretty harsh about Jacob. While he's not my favorite, he has grown on me and I liked his last performance a lot. I don't find him too over the top though. What I didn't like initially was his voice. It was really good in his last number. I think that with the right song, he can stay in the contest. Who will go next is such a mystery.

I really hope Carol King night is not a disappointment.

FORT Fogey

Any reports of her performance on Dancing With..... I was juggling 2 baseball games, Glee and The Voice so I never got to Dancing.

FORT Fan

Pia was OK on DWTS -- big voice, little emotion, typical Pia. She is lucky that she has a viable way to extend her 15 minutes. I am reticent of a true relationship for her with Mark Ballas....sounds like no more than a publicity stunt to me.

You get my point. The great female singers, Barbra, Celine...they didn't move around the stage often but their presence & chrasima DEMANDED you to listen to theym They were able to dominate the stage with their voice alone.
    Pia just can't do that at this point in her career. I am not saying she might not be able to get to that point but what she is doing right now seems too forced & controlled.
    Compare someone who is closer to Pia in age & style with someone like Lea Michelle. Lea has a great voice but isn't a great dancer. Eventhough her character on Glee is written to be more desperate than likeable, you like her despite her insecurities & appreciate her vocal ability.
    This "romance" between Pia & Mark Ballas...don't believe it. Again this comes off as "staged".

FORT Fogey

I had friend (sort of) who was beautiful, very much so. When we would go out with her she just sat or stood there knowing her looks would bring the men to her. She never put out effort and was humorless and unable to carry on a conversation very well. Pia reminded me of her as she stood next to Tom, offering nothing of herself. And the coy s**t about dating Mark is nuts. You are not that famous Pia. Talk about how much fun you are having with each other! Say something about how getting kicked off the show is an opportunity to move forward and create something grand. Say something, anything.

Pia grated me to my core last night when Tom asked her why on earth she'd ever got voted off American Idol, and she played 'I've been so wronged' card, stating, she's "in a better place now"...lol, as though she'd been horribly victimized in a crime or something..puh-lease...all you were was voted off a singing competition show. That's all, Pia.

And her performance last night with just as lackluster as ever. The crowd went mild afterwards.

+ Reply to Thread