+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Pia Toscano Season 10

Re: Pia Toscano Season 10

I am voting for women on this show - just never for Pia. Mainly for the reasons stated - no stage presence, wooden demeanor. She never connected with me so she never got my vote.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I would comment on all this, but now that I've been labeled a cougar, my opinions don't count.
    I've tried to reason the understanding behind my speculation, but it seems that the focus is solely on the labels that I mentioned. And I have to admit, that's sort of disheartening since I thought I made my point clear. I never said that the opinion of any person -- whatever age he or she is -- did not matter. I may not agree with certain opinions, but it doesn't mean that I think they don't matter! Also, I even mentioned that Pia being a woman could have been a factor, or it damn well could have not been. But it seems that all of the other stuff was just skimmed, and this label has come in the forefront.

I said before that I try to avoid saying anyone is "older." I don't know how it comes across on the world wide web, so I want to avoid that matter. I even thought "middle-aged" might come off badly. Scanning through various blogs that talk about AI, I saw the word "cougars" and latched onto it. I know the actual definition of who a cougar is (Cougar Town, that one dating show with the tennis guy). But bearing in mind that I thought it still would be bad to say "older" or "middle-aged," I went with that word.

Now I'm seeing that I was wrong to be tentative and should have just gone with the other two mentionings. My apologies for anyone who was offended, and I now at least know what to use in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Why use labels at all? We are just women, period. Some are younger, some are older. A woman in her 40's is considered middle-aged? Really? Hmmm...funny I'm just entering that decade and I hardly feel middle aged.

I have to agree with the very long post by Crossing Guard (but very well stated!), there is some truth to the murmurs that women on voting shows do not do well. Explain why the women are eliminated one right after the other while men that we can all hear are sub par stay on?

Pia had the stage personality of a big 2X4 but she could sing and sing better than Stefano, Paul, and some of the others that I won't mention. All over the 'net there were hollers of "Yes! Finally the pretty one is gone!" or ones crowing about how she was put in her place. If that doesn't point to the validity of some of the comments being made, then I don't know what does.

Obviously not everybody who disliked Pia fits into that category (the same way not everybody who couldn't stand Adam Lambert is some right leaning militant afraid of their own shadow). Sometimes we just don't like people for no good reason but when I see comments like the one above? Then I start to wonder what exactly is going on and I start to lose interest in the show. Because what's the point? If a talented female is never going to win or even a talented male who isn't all that "pretty", then why even watch?
    LOL, "very long post"! Can't disagree with you there.

My only reason to use labels was to distinguish between teenagers and older women. My point was that teenagers (specifically, young girls) are getting all of the attention from the media for the ouster of not just Pia but for all of the women that have been eliminated so far. I'm not going to disagree with that sentiment, but I was simply wondering if there was more to the story. Do these teenaged girls deserve all of attention?

But I'm glad there's someone else who at least agrees that there is more behind the elimination of these women than just not liking them. I can accept that she was robotic and that she didn't have any stage presence for some. But exactly what you said: when I see comments like those you mentioned, it just makes me wonder.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Well you were responding to my post when you plastered on that label, in fact you quoted my post as a preface. I was just trying to post a metaphor about why it wasn't right for Pia to get a recording contract before the winner had even been crowned.
    Count your blessings!

I have to agree with the very long post by Crossing Guard (but very well stated!), there is some truth to the murmurs that women on voting shows do not do well. Explain why the women are eliminated one right after the other while men that we can all hear are sub par stay on?

Pia had the stage personality of a big 2X4 but she could sing and sing better than Stefano, Paul, and some of the others that I won't mention. All over the 'net there were hollers of "Yes! Finally the pretty one is gone!" or ones crowing about how she was put in her place. If that doesn't point to the validity of some of the comments being made, then I don't know what does.

Obviously not everybody who disliked Pia fits into that category (the same way not everybody who couldn't stand Adam Lambert is some right leaning militant afraid of their own shadow). Sometimes we just don't like people for no good reason but when I see comments like the one above? Then I start to wonder what exactly is going on and I start to lose interest in the show. Because what's the point? If a talented female is never going to win or even a talented male who isn't all that "pretty", then why even watch?
    Personally, I didn't care for Pia simply because I do not like the style of music she sings. It has nothing to do with her being a woman, her being pretty, her not connecting, me being a "cougar." I have nothing against Pia herself, I just don't like listening to that type of music. Simarlarly, with Adam, I liked him, but I didn't care much for his style of singing.

Many people have won who weren't all that "pretty." Was Taylor Hicks pretty? How about Fantasia or Reuben? Weren't Kelly and Jordan a little on the heavy side? Even Carrie was a bit heavier than she is now. Who else? I'm not sure you'd call David Cook pretty - he could sure be sexy when he sang, but kind of nondescript when he wasn't (in my opinion). Same with Bo Bice, who came in second. If girls can't win, how did Carrie win? How did Jordan win?

I just think some contestants shine because of a combination of personality, looks, stage presence, singing style, voice, song choice, ready-made fan base from the auditions and hollywood week, etc. One of the problem with the girls is that they seem to want to push the Pia style singer on us, and those types have never done all that well. Even the girls with the "big" voices who win like Carrie and Kelly (I didn't see season 1 so I'm going by what I've seen of her since) aren't the Whitney or Celine types. We need as much diversity in the girls and we've had in the guys this season.

I doubt its anything as simple as girls are the only ones voting and girls only vote for guys. If girls only liked guy singers, we wouldn't have Lady Gaga or all the rest of the women who are so popular these days (or at any time in history). I still remember all the Madonna wannabes, all young girls, so how would you explain something like that? Are there studies done that actually prove that only girls vote and they only vote for guys? Or is it just that none of the girls in past season have been that appealing in the long run. Also, we don't know a girl isn't going to win this season - I think its a definite possibility. Or is it just not a girl winning who you think should win?

I'm a female, past middle age, in no way a cougar, and I rarely vote. When I do vote, its because I like someone and am just in the mood to cast a vote or two. In past seasons, I've voted extensively in the finale but rarely before. I've voted for females and males. I don't go by looks, I go by if I was entertained and if I like the person in general. This season I've cast 4 votes - on the same show - I went online to do it. I'm watching the show because I enjoy the entertainment, not because I'm wanting this person or that person or whichever gender to win.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey

I agree Misty. If votes were limited we would see different results. I would gladly vote if there was a limit. Who goes depends on what viewing group is passionate enough to dial or text endlessly.

Misty8723 I'm not going to quote the entire post, basically this is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseam by others who are much better than I at explaining this. You are referring to the old Idol, we are talking about what has happened over the past 3 to 4 years.

This is not something that only a few of us disgruntled with the voting are talking about, this is something that is being noticed across the internet and in various entertainment circles. Something has changed and nobody is really sure what or why.

By the way, Jordan and Carrie appeal to the very same voters that we are talking about. David Cook defines the concept of "pretty", my word, that guy had the female vote almost sealed up. So not good examples. The others? Are from eons ago before the "something" changed.

Remember, what we read here is just a microcosm of what is going on out there in viewer land and on other forums. We actually skew differently many times than what the voters are doing or what other forums are posting. I like to think it's because we have more mature and articulate posters here.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 04-21-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Remember, what we read here is just a microcosm of what is going on out there in viewer land and on other forums. We actually skew differently many times than what the voters are doing or what other forums are posting. I like to think it's because we have more mature and articulate posters here.

I'm not denying that something is happening, I just want to know where the proof is? Who has done the studies? I seem to remember an awful lot Claymates in the second season and the same argument was around then. Only tweens were voting. So, I would totally appreciate if it someone could post me a link to whatever studies have done on who votes and who doesn't.
    Last edited by waywyrd; 04-21-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: fix quote tag
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

What did you think of her group performance last night? i took a good look at her when she had her solo. SHe sang great, looked great and had great posture. I just wonder if she ever loosens up.

FORT Fogey

I hardly noticed her in that whole group. She is not the star that the news people are making her out to be....

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I hardly noticed her in that whole group. She is not the star that the news people are making her out to be....
    I agree. I just thought that with all the buzz about why the viewers didn't vote for her, she would take something from that and try to loosen up a little. I guess she doesn't care or just can't do it.

I saw her on Leno and she still seemed uptight there too.

+ Reply to Thread