+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Pia Toscano Season 10

Re: Pia Toscano Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I would wager that the majority of the viewers don't know who is or who isn't on pitch on any given week. I know I don't. All I know is what I like and what I don't like. Pia might have hit ever note perfectly, but she didn't entertain me and I would never spend money downloading one of her songs. I've said it before, if all this were was a singing show, we should be listening to these people and not seeing them at all - and no band, no backup, no nothing that might play into people's opinions.

We are all different and we all like who/what we like. Enough people who vote decided to vote for someone else that week. If she's destined to be a "star," she will be (see Jennifer Hudson). Winning this show isn't the only or even the best way to get into the business.

I wish her well, but I'm glad I don't have to listen to her anymore. If that screech she has is on pitch, I'll take the ones who are off pitch any day.
    Eh, I was no fan. She was plastic, boring and pageanty but she could sing and, yes, she was on pitch. Well, about 90% of the time. The only other person who is consistently on pitch is Scotty and not always either. All the others are horribly hit or miss, sometimes painfully so. It's not even that hard to tell but I guess most people watching still can't distinguish between good notes and bad. Which perfectly explains 8 of the last 10 winners.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I wasn't a huge fan but *loved* when she did Tina Turner. Sad to see her go - even if she weren't my favorite I totally respect her talent. Also, Stefano bores me to tears....but I'm not a 12 year old girl so his swooning probably hits that audience more than for me.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Imagine you're at a birthday party and you're playing games for prizes. Now suppose a child gets out, but the mother hosting the party says, "You're the prettiest child here, and you played that game really well, so I'm going to give you the prize. Oh, and the rest of you... whoever ends up winning can have a prize, too." How do you think the rest of the guests are going to feel, even the child who wins the game?
    I think this is an unfair statement. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you're basically saying that she's getting the attention based on her looks. I'm not going to deny that they could be a part of it, but Pia was a fantastic singer. You may not have thought so, but there are many people who would agree with that sentiment.

Maybe I'm making an unfair generalization, but I've been wondering why in the world Pia has been so unpopular on this site. At the same time, I surf other forums dedicated to this show, and there are legions of Pia fans over there. I thought about this, and it hit me: FoRT primarily attracts older women (and by "older," I mean women who are not in their teen years anymore ), while the other sites attract younger girls.

Other people (including myself) have made the generalization that these teen girls are the ones, for lack of a better word, "ruining" the show by only voting for the boys they think are cute. While this is true, teenagers shouldn't be getting all of the brute attention. Older women -- or how I've seen them referred to on AI-related blogs, "cougars" -- have just as much, if not more, say on who's going home each week on this show. If anything, these women didn't like Pia more than the teenagers didn't.

Like I said before, those other forums with teenagers primarily posting had a numerous amount of Pia fans on them. Meanwhile, FoRT only has a few. Could it be because there are many more older women on this site than those other forums? It has been said time and time again that pretty girls on these shows get targeted for their looks. Perhaps it happened again with Pia.

It is possible for young girls to root for talented women on these shows. Look at Christian Slater's young daughter holding up a sign for both Pia and Lauren this week. (I know she's just one girl, but it was the first example that came to my mind. ) Also look at Lauren Froderman, the most recent winner of SYTYCD who beat out the supposed frontrunner in Kent Boyd. While I would agree that the majority of their favorites are the cute-looking boys (see: Scotty McCreery), it isn't the end of the world when they decide to back a girl to win. At the same time, cougars have shown their power in seasons past. Just look at the winners of the last three seasons. S7 is the perfect example of the cougar favorite beating the tween favorite in the finale.

Again, maybe I'm making an unfair generalization, but it's just something I'm trying to decipher.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Maybe not on this board, but there is a reason that there has been such a ruckus over her elimination. If she were not generally well liked elsewhere, there would have been little fuss and no big shock.

Exactly!
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

BTW
    FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    Exactly!
    Amen to that !!!

Hear hear!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I am willing to bet if Pia wasn't as attractive as she is, there would not have been nearly the same amount of ruckus there was over her departure. Folk would be upset, but not nearly as outraged.

And I said before and will say it again, she's Katherine MacPhee the sequel. Yes, she will release and album. Yes, it will be played on top 40 radio stations, while garnering lukewarm praise. But at the end of the day, her music will quickly fade from radio airwaves. She will end up doing makeup, shampoo or some other type of beauty product related commercials. There will be a flurry of magazine photoshoots, interviews, TV appearances etc. She'll make the occasional appearance on red carpets here and there like Katherine MacPhee did/does. But at the end of the day, she won't become the phenom folk want her to be.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I am willing to bet if Pia wasn't as attractive as she is, there would not have been nearly the same amount of ruckus there was over her departure. Folk would be upset, but not nearly as outraged.

And I said before and will say it again, she's Katherine MacPhee the sequel. Yes, she will release and album. Yes, it will be played on top 40 radio stations, while garnering lukewarm praise. But at the end of the day, her music will quickly fade from radio airwaves. She will end up doing makeup, shampoo or some other type of beauty product related commercials. There will be a flurry of magazine photoshoots, interviews, TV appearances etc. She'll make the occasional appearance on red carpets here and there like Katherine MacPhee did/does. But at the end of the day, she won't become the phenom folk want her to be.

And KP came in second....a long haul from 9th...so it should be interesting to see what developes with her career

FORT Fanatic

Just saw Pia on Regis and Kelly. Same sweet, beautiful young lady with a beautiful voice. It's not easy to sing early in the morning but she did a
    great job.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard View Post
    I Older women -- or how I've seen them referred to on AI-related blogs, "cougars" -- have just as much, if not more, say on who's going home each week on this show. If anything, these women didn't like Pia more than the teenagers didn't.

Like I said before, those other forums with teenagers primarily posting had a numerous amount of Pia fans on them. Meanwhile, FoRT only has a few. Could it be because there are many more older women on this site than those other forums? It has been said time and time again that pretty girls on these shows get targeted for their looks. Perhaps it happened again with Pia.

Just look at the winners of the last three seasons. S7 is the perfect example of the cougar favorite beating the tween favorite in the finale.

Again, maybe I'm making an unfair generalization, but it's just something I'm trying to decipher.
    Yea..okay...I am in the demographics that you term "cougars". May I note I find that term demeaning. I have sons younger than these guys & I would never want to date someone that age.

I watched AI from Season 1 however I don't vote so to say middle aged women won't vote for Pia because they are insecure about their looks...excuse me??? Pia is an attractive young lady with a good voice. What she isn't is "pop star". She came across, at least to me, as plastic & robotic. The times I did see her performance all I saw was 'pagent'; an older version of Toddlers & Tiaras.

This show has just jumped the shark tank as far as I'm concerned. This show was Simon Cowell. Without him it is just another local talent show played on national tv.

+ Reply to Thread