+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Pia Toscano Season 10

Re: Pia Toscano Season 10

The "winner gets first crack" meme has already been kicked to the curb this season. Chris Medina released some crappy sappy charity single that was in iTunes and is even going on a tour-ish type thing with a bunch of other losers from this season. All for charity... of course.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

That's not the same as a contestant in the top 13, who is going on tour, getting a high-powered contract immediately after getting the boot. I call "foul" and "bad form"!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    This pia contract story sounds odd. Normally the top ten finalists are legally bound to AI producers until after the tour. It's hard to believe the AI honchos would permit a losing contestant to preempt the winner with a record, even if the producer is jimmy Iovine.
    Obviously the contract hasn't been signed and doubt we'll hear even if it is but non-winners have released their albums prior to the winners in the past. Season 5 had both Kellie Pickler and Chris Daughtry's albums coming out before Taylor's.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Pia. A frontrunner (many thought f2 or 3) hasn't gone out this early so it's all new ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    That's not the same as a contestant in the top 13, who is going on tour, getting a high-powered contract immediately after getting the boot. I call "foul" and "bad form"!
    I highly doubt the suits at UMG/Interscope care much for the sanctity of the winner's imaginary rights in the marketplace. But most of all I think they are not going to let Idol's stale demographic dictate who they pump money into especially since it's been proven time and again that the Idol demo is not in sync with the music listening/buying demo. They may not even be on the same planet.

UMG will sign and push whoever they want and think will make them the most dough. So if Pia is seen as somebody who can make a quick buck with a single, she will get it.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

All true, but the main money-maker here is the top-rated show, and if people are put off by this move, they could lose viewers. Maybe not, but before Pia was ejected, I didn't hear many people on the boards who liked her.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

All true, but the main money-maker here is the top-rated show, and if people are put off by this move, they could lose viewers. Maybe not, but before Pia was ejected, I didn't hear many people on the boards who liked her.
    Maybe not on this board, but there is a reason that there has been such a ruckus over her elimination. If she were not generally well liked elsewhere, there would have been little fuss and no big shock.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

A middle-aged male friend of mine posted shock and anger the day after her elimination on facebook. There were dozens of replies to his post and it came out (from his wife ) that he doesn't vote. So it may be that all the outrage is from people who don't actually vote.
    Count your blessings!

Uhmm, the one person who was most consistently able to sing on key every week was just voted off in 9th place from what is supposedly a singing show. The show has bigger problems to worry about than what might or might not put off people in the future. "The Voice" and "The X Factor" are hot on their heels so it might all be a moot point anyway. They need to make this season work as much as they can because it could very well be their last.

A middle-aged male friend of mine posted shock and anger the day after her elimination on facebook. There were dozens of replies to his post and it came out (from his wife ) that he doesn't vote. So it may be that all the outrage is from people who don't actually vote.
    That's right. I doubt any of the celebs tweeting about her - and this includes some former Idols - voted a day in their lives for anyone on this show. But they, and millions of people like them, are the ones buying the music and they'll buy what they like without reference to who won some voting contest on TV. The general public's tastes rarely align with Idol voters' tastes. It always makes me laugh hysterically when Idol fans think that the winner should be the one getting all the perks after the show and becoming the biggest star just because they won. So funny!
    Last edited by MsFroggy; 04-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Uhmm, the one person who was most consistently able to sing on key every week was just voted off in 9th place from what is supposedly a singing show. The show has bigger problems to worry about than what might or might not put off people in the future. "The Voice" and "The X Factor" are hot on their heels so it might all be a moot point anyway. They need to make this season work as much as they can because it could very well be their last.
    I would wager that the majority of the viewers don't know who is or who isn't on pitch on any given week. I know I don't. All I know is what I like and what I don't like. Pia might have hit ever note perfectly, but she didn't entertain me and I would never spend money downloading one of her songs. I've said it before, if all this were was a singing show, we should be listening to these people and not seeing them at all - and no band, no backup, no nothing that might play into people's opinions.

We are all different and we all like who/what we like. Enough people who vote decided to vote for someone else that week. If she's destined to be a "star," she will be (see Jennifer Hudson). Winning this show isn't the only or even the best way to get into the business.

I wish her well, but I'm glad I don't have to listen to her anymore. If that screech she has is on pitch, I'll take the ones who are off pitch any day.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    The show has bigger problems to worry about than what might or might not put off people in the future. "The Voice" and "The X Factor" are hot on their heels so it might all be a moot point anyway. They need to make this season work as much as they can because it could very well be their last.
    UMMM. I would really, really doubt that

+ Reply to Thread