+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Naima Adedapo Season 10

Re: Naima Adedapo Season 10

my-fav-but-yes-she-was-terrible-weds.-but-paul-and-hailey-and-karen-were-worse
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too...

FORT Regular

One of Naima's better performances. Loved the African dancing, it came off authentic and heart-felt as well as technically proficient.

My one beef is that Naima often sings a bit "ugly"--vowels that are spread out and splatted and her voice tone goes brassy. When she does this in low notes she sounds like she is braying, when she does it on high notes it makes her go a bit flat pitch-wise. This is where more vocal coaching/lessons are critically needed because she doesn't sound that good if you close your eyes.

Some of that spread-out/splatty vowels can work stylistically in a reggae song setting, but not so much in other song styles. For me, this tone quality issue points to lack of training and perhaps even a lack of awareness--hopefully she can hear it and do something about it.

While I don't think her voice is all that great, she's one of the few that I can actually watch. She's a performer, at least. Most of them are totally boring me. Naima, on the other hand, makes me smile.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I look forward to her performance each week. She always brings something a little different and fun to the stage.

FORT Fogey

I missed her this week. Even when she isn't very good, you never know what to expect.

FORT Regular

I, too, missed Naima. Sometimes the vocals were a bit of a mess. But, you've got to credit the young woman for trying to put style and ingenuity into her performances. I thought she was just hitting a balance between vocals/performance....then *pow* gone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12