+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: James Durbin Season 10

Re: James Durbin Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought he had Tourette's not Aspergers. Tourette's is not on the autism scale as Aspergers is. Tourette's is more a matter of tics (I'm sure you've noticed his eyes) and less often, vocal eruptions.
    I was surprised I liked him on Tuesday, because I hadn't liked him up to that point. He is no Adam Lambert, but he was stronger than I had him pegged. I didn't like the off-key screaming, either.
    Gutmutter, the bolded part I agree with exactly. Last week, when all the guys performed, I was prepared to cringe at James's performance based on what I'd seen up to that time. I liked it surprisingly much, and think he deserved to make the finals.

I attended a workshop on Tourette's a couple of years ago (I'm a Special Education teacher), and learned that there is a significant overlap between individuals with Asperger's and Tourette's -- that is, it's not uncommon for a person to have both.

Good luck to James, and I hope he can resist the impulse to scream in every song. That's why people eventually got tired of Siobhan last year.

I hope he doesn't scream hardly at all. He proved that he can scream with the best of them -- like Siobhan and Adam. He got rid of the tail so I think he can take constructive criticism and recognizes that he is a newbie. His scream is in tune and he could handle what Danny Gokey could not, but he doesn't need it anymore and it turns some people off.

I hate that the Adam-lovers compare him unfavorably and the Adam-haters transfer their hate onto him. Based on what I have seen so far, I think that he may very well be in Adam's league vocally and I may even prefer his tone over Adams. I have to see a few more weeks but he has potential. I am an Adam fan and did think that Adam was the best male vocal out of AI ever, even though I prefer David Cook overall for guys and Kelly is my favorite overall vocal. Carrie is a close second in terms of vocal talent out of AI for me.

In terms of this being a singing competition for voices that should be on the radio, James is the best this year.

Having no previous knowledge of the contestants this season and just tuning in to the last 2 performances of his- I predict James to take it this season.
    AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrjar View Post
    I hate that the Adam-lovers compare him unfavorably and the Adam-haters transfer their hate onto him. Based on what I have seen so far, I think that he may very well be in Adam's league vocally and I may even prefer his tone over Adams. I have to see a few more weeks but he has potential. I am an Adam fan and did think that Adam was the best male vocal out of AI ever, even though I prefer David Cook overall for guys and Kelly is my favorite overall vocal. Carrie is a close second in terms of vocal talent out of AI for me.

In terms of this being a singing competition for voices that should be on the radio, James is the best this year.
    I also think James' tone is better than Adam's. I liked Adam well enough, but didn't really care for his singing / screaming. I don't like it when James does nothing but scream, but I don't even mind a little bit of it now and then. He's also grown on me as a performer. I think he can take direction and may end up being the "most improved" by the end of the show. Whether he wins or not -- I'm not all that sure it really matters if he's got the talent and desire to continue to pursue a career, he'll do fine. I predict he won't be going anywhere any time soon.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I also think James' tone is better than Adam's. I liked Adam well enough, but didn't really care for his singing / screaming. I don't like it when James does nothing but scream, but I don't even mind a little bit of it now and then. He's also grown on me as a performer. I think he can take direction and may end up being the "most improved" by the end of the show. Whether he wins or not -- I'm not all that sure it really matters if he's got the talent and desire to continue to pursue a career, he'll do fine. I predict he won't be going anywhere any time soon.
    I tend to respectfully disagree. I don't think he'll improve much, as he seems to be pretty arrogant. People like that don't change because they don't think they need to.

FORT Fogey

I disagree totally. He changed his looked, obviously taking advice from their stylist and he toned down his singing to a huge degree, far less screaming and using the very soft ending....the idea must have come from the producers. I give him credit for doing that much. Arrogance was that girl with the Irish name last season who just kept screaming. She had a certain look also and would not vary from that. From last report she is still performing small time on Cape Cod. Maybe James is smart enough to realize that there is a different direction and the experts may know it what it is...she wasn't

I don't see James as arrogant. I do think he's very outgoing and confident - which is not the same thing.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

I do not agree that James's tone is superior to Adam's, especially when I consider Mad World, Tracks of My Tears, If I Can't Have You, and yes, Ring of Fire. I also doubt we will see James rise to Adam's level of creativity (different looks weekly, different stage-craft), but then, this year is deliberately tailored for the contestants to stay in their preferred musical lanes.
    So will James go with his Heavy Metal/Judas Priest/Ozzy stuff, for the guys, or include more Pop for the soccer moms?
    Last edited by WinkyD; 03-12-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WinkyD View Post
    I do not agree that James's tone is superior to Adam's, especially when I consider Mad World, Tracks of My Tears, If I Can't Have You, and yes, Ring of Fire. I also doubt we will see James rise to Adam's level of creativity (different looks weekly, different stage-craft), but then, this year is deliberately tailored for the contestants to stay in their preferred musical lanes.
    So will James go with his Heavy Metal/Judas Priest/Ozzy stuff, for the guys, or include more Pop for the soccer moms?
    The jury is still out for me on this. I have a sense right now that I may prefer his tone to Adam's but James has a long path ahead of him to prove himself. Also, I wouldn't even dream of criticizing Adam's tone but Adam's range, control, consistency and musicality is what really impressed me. Right now if I had to vote, Adam is the best male vocal ever having come from AI, IMO, and my second favorite male behind Cookie and third favorite behind Kelly and Cook.

I am rooting right now for James to make smart decisions, grow, be consistent and live up to the potential so far that has been shown. I hope that James is willing to take constructive criticism as debated above, but without selling out too much that it becomes pandering. Lauren can get away with it and still be likable.

What's really a shame is that we are comparing the two instead of judging James on his own merit.

+ Reply to Thread