+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 2/23 Vegas Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 2/23 Vegas Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Babbred,

When there are 12 guys & 12 girls those shows have always been pretaped. This is nothing new, they were Live only for Seasons 8 & 9, to the best of my memory. Supposedly the results are still going to be an hour. And getting rid of the guest mentors, to me, is a great thing. What did Miley Cyrus & for that matter Adam LAmbert add to the proceedings. Jimmy Iovine is a permanent mentor this year. He has a world of knowledge & a huge resume. I think all these changes, including the judges, that redefined the show in a positive way.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    ...That thrill of knowing "anything can happen" and watching good performers go with the flow and overcome just adds to the excitement of watching a live performance. Sorry, Nigel, but AI just went down a notch in my estimation...
    It's the same for me. Doing a live broadcast of a variety show (and with amateur performers, no less) is a high-wire act no one had attempted since the Ed Sullivan Show in the 1960's.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    When there are 12 guys & 12 girls those shows have always been pretaped. This is nothing new, they were Live only for Seasons 8 & 9, to the best of my memory. Supposedly the results are still going to be an hour. And getting rid of the guest mentors, to me, is a great thing. What did Miley Cyrus & for that matter Adam LAmbert add to the proceedings. Jimmy Iovine is a permanent mentor this year. He has a world of knowledge & a huge resume. I think all these changes, including the judges, that redefined the show in a positive way.
    Well that gives me hope that maybe we will go back to live shows for the finalists. And I didn't realize that the Season 7 semis were taped. I started watching the show the last week of semi-finals in Season 7.

I agree with you about Jimmy Iovine - as a matter of fact I think he has already made his presence known in those well performed, staged, and costumed Beatles performances in Las Vegas. He is really going to lift this show up a notch. (Which it will need because X-Factor is staged like a circus extravaganza.)

I only part ways with you on Adam Lambert's mentoring - I though he was by far the most valuable mentor the show had all year. I think his perspective of having gone through the machine plus his eye for performance detail was genuinely helpful.

But in general, I agree the mentors were a waste of time. Usually they were only there because they had a movie or album to push.

If the results shows are still going to be an hour, then how on earth are they going to fill all that time?

Also, I only started watching during Season 4. However, I've seen a repeat of the final from Season 1. It was held in some theater that had balconies around the sides, and the judges sat in one of those balconies. Does anybody know where that was? Just curious. The theater looked really big.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

It's the Kodak Theatre, home of the Oscars.

Kodak Theatre

Kodak Theatre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    If the results shows are still going to be an hour, then how on earth are they going to fill all that time?

Also, I only started watching during Season 4. However, I've seen a repeat of the final from Season 1. It was held in some theater that had balconies around the sides, and the judges sat in one of those balconies. Does anybody know where that was? Just curious. The theater looked really big.
    They will have guest performers. Lee Dwyze is going to be playing his new single on Thursday Night for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    They will have guest performers. Lee Dwyze is going to be playing his new single on Thursday Night for instance.
    IOW, there will still be big name singers trying to sell albums. Methinks nothing has changed about the results shows.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678