+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2/17 Hollywood Round 3 *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 2/17 Hollywood Round 3 *Spoilers*

Scotty knows one song really well.

FORT Fan

They have some really good talent this year....wish this show was longer than one hour.

FORT Fogey

Nuts of wonder? I guess I never really listened to the lyrics of that song before.

FORT Fogey

So, Jaycee made it through.
    Next week, though...

The Beatles? Again? This will be how many times now?

I just read through the thread for last night. Again, I'm really sorry for Jayzee, but I just don't think he should have been put through. (Ditto for tonight.) Clearly they just did it because they felt sorry for him, not because he deserved it on talent. And his singing tonight simply didn't impress me, either.

By the same token, I have nothing against his old group for asking him to leave. They had a smooth, polished performance with great vocals, and they knew he wouldn't mesh with them. As the guy said, Jayzee just didn't fit their vibe, no matter how wonderful of a person he might be.

And I miss Simon terribly. Everyone knew Paula was a pushover and Randy was the beta judge who could usually be convinced to go along. If you earned Simon's approval, though, you knew it was real. That's why many contestants said they appreciated earning his approval the most.

I just read an article yesterday that pretty much agreed with the official summary here. IOW, the auditions were boring and bland. They may have put a record number through, the author said, but clearly at least half of those were due to their sob stories and/or tears. The author speculated that Steven and Jennifer are afraid to appear tough because they don't want to offend their fan base. I'll try and see if I can find that article again.

I hate to end things so negatively, so let me end by saying that were many great solos tonight and I'm looking forward to hearing them again. I especially loved hearing the lovely renditions of "Georgia on My Mind." Ray Charles just gives me goosebumps, and the contestants did him proud tonight. I'm sure he's smiling from behind that keyboard in the sky.
    Last edited by Babbred; 02-17-2011 at 10:23 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Ashley the Walk-Out just bombed. I'm worried about her if they let her go through. I mean, if she can't handle the pressure here in Hollywood, how in the world will she handle the live shows?

I agree. Plus, her voice was way too nasaly for my taste.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

By and large, I think that Randy, J. Lo and Steven have really done a much better job picking talent than we have seen in the last few years. The last few years, was abysmal - but this year, they have hone in on some real talent. Kudos to them!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Ashley the Walk-Out just bombed. I'm worried about her if they let her go through. I mean, if she can't handle the pressure here in Hollywood, how in the world will she handle the live shows?

Ok, please don't throw things at me. Do you think it was a good thing that they let Jayzee go through last night? I felt really sorry for him. He seems like a sweet kid. However, this is Hollywood and the professional singing business is nothing if not cutthroat. He was the only member of his group who didn't sound good, so it's not as if they pulled him down. If he can't handle the pressure now, should he keep going through?

Edit: He just performed again. He sounded better than last night, but IMO still only mediocre compared to many of the other singers tonight.

On a more positive note, there have been some lovely performances that I'm looking forward to hearing again.
    Agreed, I am sick of Ashley and her freaking out at every little thing. She needs to get her head in the game or just go home.

I also agree about Jaycee. He is totally adorable and sweet, but his voice is just ok to me. Nothing remarkable (imo).

And about something TopCatDC said about last night's show: I am very much noticing the editing this season. I don't know if I'm getting more savvy to it or they're just getting sloppy. But I've definitely noticed them splicing in comments and different shots (and even using the same comments twice in different places). On the other hand, I am enjoying this season of AI more than I have recent seasons. The "storylines" can get a bit annoying, but Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez, and the talent this year are making up for it I think.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Deutscher View Post
    They have some really good talent this year....wish this show was longer than one hour.
    Me too. I tune in to watch the performances, and I'd like to see more.

I am really happy with Jlo and Steven T. And, I like Randy with them. It's interesting to see them go through the selection process. I think/hope they are approaching it with reality of the business in mind.

They seem to be taking it very, very seriously. There was a moment tonight when Jlo said how sad it was watching these kids crumble. She wants them to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
    Agreed, I am sick of Ashley and her freaking out at every little thing. She needs to get her head in the game or just go home.
    I think she needs to be committed or something. She's nutsy coo-coo.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast