+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Steven Tyler - Judge

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: Steven Tyler is new 'American Idol' judge

I was too - that is, impressed with Tyler on the Honors show. I loved the way he swung the long slitted coat around - it will be interesting what he has to say about stage presence.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Gotta love Tyler and his off-the-cuff remarks.

Steven Tyler Blasts Paula Abdul: ‘I Guess She Had Problems’

The new “Idol” judge delivered a whopper of an opinion on the former “Idol” judge via this question from a television critic: “What do you think of Paula Abdul’s new show [CBS's "Live to Dance"]?”

“I haven’t watched it … I just wish her luck,” Tyler said. “The world took the piss out of her for nodding out, something I’m not unfamiliar with. I guess she had problems with substances. Uh, I don’t know. She’s a real character and she’s great. She’s an artist. People are gonna look to see what she’s got going next. I wish her luck.”

And we wish him luck once this gets out.

As for Tyler’s own sobriety, he told reporters, “I just celebrated a year last week.”
    He's been sober for a year???????? A network puts the reboot of the #1 TV on the shoulders of someone who has been drug-free for year?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;4145719;
    Gotta love Tyler and his off-the-cuff remarks.

Steven Tyler Blasts Paula Abdul: ‘I Guess She Had Problems’

He's been sober for a year???????? A network puts the reboot of the #1 TV on the shoulders of someone who has been drug-free for year?
    No surprise here. You get a lot of Tyler stories here that don't make it out to the national news. His band is still pretty annoyed with him for taking on this gig

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;4146171;
    No surprise here. You get a lot of Tyler stories here that don't make it out to the national news. His band is still pretty annoyed with him for taking on this gig
    I think the band is just pissed because this means he won't be able to tour. Call me cynical, but I think they're more concerned with their own bank accounts than they are for Steven's well being.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have to say..I was skeptical. But WOW. I'm really digging Steven as a judge. He's articulate, funny, can throw a zinger when needed and seems to be enjoying himself. The new panel seems to mesh well and compliment each other well enough.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

He's creepy looking.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;4162390;
    He's creepy looking.
    At least he doesn't seem to have Cowells man boobs. He won't need Kramers bro any time soon.

I read a great biography of Aerosmith about 10 years ago, and I was struck by Tyler's musical background. Born Stephen Victor Tallarico, he is the son of a classical musician. Tyler is a multi-instrumentalist who grew up playing classical and many other genres of music.

One of the things that has blown me away is that he sings as if his voice were an instrument, playing his vocal chords with complex rhythmic and tonal effects. He is the most knowledgeable about music of the three judges. The question is, can he articulate his knowledge? So far, it's been a delightfully quirky ride with his weird syntax and vocabularly.
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Loving this panel of judges! Pleasantly surprised. Steven Tyler is brilliant in this spot. And Randy seems to be cutting loose a little bit. This is a good mix.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;4166145;
    Loving this panel of judges! Pleasantly surprised. Steven Tyler is brilliant in this spot. And Randy seems to be cutting loose a little bit. This is a good mix.
    I agree. I'm loving the comrade-ship they share. Love Steven's off the cuff
    critiquing, and I'm enjoying seeing Randy cut up a little more than any season.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast