+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Steven Tyler - Judge

Re: Steven Tyler is new 'American Idol' judge

We're not alone in questioning the addition of Tyler to the show.

Why Steven Tyler will be a terrible 'Idol' judge - Entertainment - Reality TV - TODAYshow.com

Why Steven Tyler will be a terrible 'Idol' judge
    Aerosmith frontman is too old, and while he can offer nice quips, more often he rambles

Steven Tyler is certainly a rock star, but his tendency to ramble in interviews leaves questions as to whether he can actually offer coherent critiques.
    By DOMINIC PATTEN
    TheWrap.com

He is the face and lips of the Great American Rock ’n’ Roll band, but as dynamic as he can appear onstage with Aerosmith, Steven Tyler is a terrible choice for a new judge on “American Idol.”

Why?

He’s too damn old. He’s too damn dull.

“He’s a relic,” one industry observer said dismissively of the 62-year old frontman to me Tuesday, following all the reports that Tyler is a done deal for the Fox amateur-hour hit. “All he brings to the show is a scarf and giant lips.”

Now, as both Tyler and Mick Jagger will tell you, there’s a lot of mileage to be had in a scarf and giant lips — but not necessarily a lot of judgment. And judgment, on both sides of the camera, is what you need to resurrect a former ratings behemoth like “Idol” — especially after the disappointing season it had last year and the departure of bitchy Brit Simon Cowell.

Of course, Tyler does provide the novelty factor of actually having a genuine rock star on “Idol.” And they always could have done worse.

When "Idol" started to look for new judges this year, Tyler — who between rehab and band tensions hasn't had the best of years — probably didn’t think twice about taking the plunge.

“American Idol,” on the other hand, should have.

For a show increasingly skewing and feeling older, “Idol” should have gone young and brave — Justin Timberlake being the ideal. The worst part is Tyler probably wasn’t the first one on returning “Idol” executive producer Nigel Lythgoe‘s call sheet. Tyler’s the one you reach out to after Elton and Cher said "Not interested."

So what, besides a lot of Aerosmith tunes being sung by contestants, can we expect if Tyler actually gets the new gig?

True, Tyler can be saucy and sassy, but that’s in short sound-bitten bursts. In fact, left to his extended own devices — as too many interviewers and musicians have discovered — the hyperactive singer can ramble in a way that makes Paula Abdul look positively poetic.

His acting career, like the cameo as himself with John Travolta in “Be Cool,” never really blew anyone’s wig off. And while no one would undermine his love of his craft, Tyler’s never displayed the greatest of insights when it comes to talking about music.

If Ellen DeGeneres is the standard, that would make him the perfect “Idol” judge — but the point is not to limbo that low again.

Now don’t get me wrong. I love Aerosmith. To me, it really is the Great American Rock 'n' Roll band — more than Van Halen, more than Kiss — and a truly great American tale of redemption.

Since they blew out of Beantown in 1972, Aerosmith brazenly stole from the Rolling Stones the way the Stones stole from the blues and brought it back home all wrapped up in stars-and-stripes sexbeat boogie. They were raunchy and rich in the '70s, then messed up, broken up, really messed up and resurrected in the late '80s with counseling and killer albums like “Pump” to be bigger than ever.

They were “Behind the Music” before “Behind the Music.” They were “Celebrity Rehab” before “Celebrity Rehab.” And as everyone from lightweights like Motley Crue to worthy successors like Guns’N’Roses have admitted, they paved the road American rock needed to travel down after the onslaught of the British Invasion.

After 40 years, rising from clubs to giant stadiums, Aerosmith has become a beloved American institution, playing the Super Bowl, the Academy Awards, with their own Disney Theme Park ride and sold-out arenas around the entire world.

Then there's the dark side. Like their commercial and creative mentors the Stones, Aerosmith is now caught in a career revolving door of big tours and — because of the magnitude of hits like “Dream On,” “Sweet Emotion,” “Janie’s Got a Gun” and the Oscar-nominated “I Don’t Want to Miss aThing” from 1998’s “Armageddon” — irrelevant new material.

Which is exactly why spotlight-loving Tyler, who is touring with Aerosmith until Sept. 16 and actually hitting the Quest Center stage in Omaha, Nebraska, on Thursday, was probably looking for a change.

Like the acclaimed Roots deciding to become Jimmy Fallon’s houseband to get off endless touring, Tyler and Aerosmith needed to find a new direction or get off their own infinite road.

And if you think “American Idol” was the best exit ramp for Tyler, for the show and for us … well, let me quote a great American poet: “Dream on.

No one wants to give him a chance before fileting him? Good grief!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;4043400;
    No one wants to give him a chance before fileting him? Good grief!
    I've said all along that I'm happy with his addition and willing to give him a chance. He can't be any worse than Kara and Ellen were (and every time I say something like that....I'm proven wrong lol).

But I'm willing to give him a chance because at least he has some sort of musical credibility unlike Ellen and at least he isn't a Jonas Brother (I was terrified that with the lowering of the audition age that we'd get one of them on the panel!)

Besides, this show is done for anyways so may as well have fun with it's gasping last breaths and I can't wait to mock the judges. I'm expecting tons of hilarious sound bites and amazing opportunities to ridicule them.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 08-20-2010 at 08:46 AM.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Hee! I hope he's a mean bastard and very honest. At the very least AI is getting a legit rock star who will know what he's talking about when he opens his mouth to critique. He will also see right through the plaid clad, guitar strumming, fake rock milquetoast contestants such as the three identical winners of the past three seasons. I don't see him letting them slip by without some good kicks in the shins. If we get lucky, he'll even yell at them. Especially if they can't sing because, really, someone should.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;4042321;
    Steven Tyler. Seriously????
    Steven Tyler is not mainstream enough for this show. (He might even scare the grandmothers and 6 year olds).
    I don't even watch American Idol, but... Steven Tyler's original audience ARE grandmothers and grand-dads now, and Steven is mainstream whether he likes it or not. I went to Aerosmith's show here last summer, and over half the audience including myself were well into the grayhaired stage. And I actually think Steven might as well do American Idol; he's knowledgeable enough and probably about ready to stop touring.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4044056;
    I don't even watch American Idol, but... Steven Tyler's original audience ARE grandmothers and grand-dads now, and Steven is mainstream whether he likes it or not. I went to Aerosmith's show here last summer, and over half the audience including myself were well into the grayhaired stage. And I actually think Steven might as well do American Idol; he's knowledgeable enough and probably about ready to stop touring.
    I might even watch it again. (I admit it, I have more than a few gray hairs). I haven't watched it in several years. Just seemed like karaoke nowadays IMHO.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;4042554;
    Idol needs producers, talent agents, and the like as judges - not celebrities.
    I agree. Three regular people from the industry as permanent judges. May be a fourth rotating celebrity judge, a new celebrity every week, to add glamor to the panel. I get the impression that the AI producers are scrambling to prop the show back up to its old popularity. Too much buzz about the judges in the media. They made a big mistake letting Paula go. They underestimated her likability and endearing factor. I don't think Steven has those qualities. Or, will he be the in-your-face Simon kind? Have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;4042321;
    Steven Tyler is not mainstream enough for this show.
    Lol at not considering Steven Tyler mainstream.

Anyway, I'm not unhappy with the fact that they picked a rockstar as a judge, but Steven Tyler doesn't seem right for American Idol at all.

Should have picked Harry Connick Jr., he was hilarious.
    Last edited by Magnum; 08-22-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Oh I think Steven Tyler will be very forthright, honest and an excellent critique for this show. He has a sense of humor, and knows his music well. I'd rather see someone like him from the music industry who knows what theyre critiquing and talking about. JMO.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

They had the Kennedy Center Honors on last night.
    One of those on who was paying tribute, and singing to, Paul McCartney was Steven Tyler.
    I have to say I was very impressed with Tyler.
    I'm not a fan of JLo, but Tyler may get me to wath the new season.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast