+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 1/27 Audition Show *Spoilers*

Re: 1/27 Audition Show *Spoilers*

Beiber is huge. My son who just turned 8 was building a Lego set when they showed the clip of that kid singing, he looks up and says "Justin Beiber" rolls his eyes and goes back to playing. So even he knows who the guy is "all the girls in school think he's awesome" but has the good taste to think the guy is "lame". LOL

I don't blame Idol for trying to cash in on that market, kids have more discretionary income and are more willing to spend it on music than adults are.

I don't agree with the plain vanilla comment, different strokes for different folks but I've rather liked the last few winners *shrugs*.

I've yet to see anybody who is making me hop up and down in my seat and declare that they are my chosen one. There are a few who have caught my attention but I've been at this game since season 1 and I know better than to get too vested in any of these kids from the auditions since the majority of them will never be seen or heard again.

I'm just enjoying the judges, I've been saying on here from the moment they announced who the judges were how much I like Steven and Jennifer, so I'm happy to see that they are melding so nicely together. Seeing how much they are loving what they are doing and hearing both Steven and Jennifer telling Randy that there is no need to be mean to the kids makes me fall in love with this show all over again.

I can't remember the last time I've gotten so much joy out of this show! Simon and then Simon/Kara sucked every ounce of joy out of the show and I was ready to write it off....Simon....you are not missed in my house.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4168360;

Old guy boyfriend . . . yeah, definitely creepy
    But we have to remember she is 28 years old, she is not a 18 or 19(which would have been super creepy) Is it ideal? Not really but if she is happy with him. He might be a wonderful man.

I went to HS with a girl that long after graduation, ended up working at the same doctor's office that I was working at. At the holiday party, she introduced me to her husband and he was obviously in his 50 (she had to have been about 23 or 24). I was really freaked out over it! I thought he was her dad. I have since found her on facebook and she is no longer married to him (I don't know if he has passed, it has been nearly 25 years) and appears to have an age appropriate husband.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4169942;
    Beiber is huge. My son who just turned 8 was building a Lego set when they showed the clip of that kid singing, he looks up and says "Justin Beiber" rolls his eyes and goes back to playing. So even he knows who the guy is "all the girls in school think he's awesome" but has the good taste to think the guy is "lame". LOL

I don't blame Idol for trying to cash in on that market, kids have more discretionary income and are more willing to spend it on music than adults are.

I don't agree with the plain vanilla comment, different strokes for different folks but I've rather liked the last few winners *shrugs*.

I've yet to see anybody who is making me hop up and down in my seat and declare that they are my chosen one. There are a few who have caught my attention but I've been at this game since season 1 and I know better than to get too vested in any of these kids from the auditions since the majority of them will never be seen or heard again.

I'm just enjoying the judges, I've been saying on here from the moment they announced who the judges were how much I like Steven and Jennifer, so I'm happy to see that they are melding so nicely together. Seeing how much they are loving what they are doing and hearing both Steven and Jennifer telling Randy that there is no need to be mean to the kids makes me fall in love with this show all over again.

I can't remember the last time I've gotten so much joy out of this show! Simon and then Simon/Kara sucked every ounce of joy out of the show and I was ready to write it off....Simon....you are not missed in my house.
    If you were my neighbor, we could say Simon...you are not missed on our block!

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4168066;
    Yeah - I found someone to follow! I really enjoyed Lauren (the last girl) - what a voice. The nice thing is that she is now 16 and won't face the being 15 stigma.

I got such a kick out of her chutzpah in singing an Aerosmith song then inviting Steven to join in.. Hysterical.
    Lauren is my favorite so far...I watched her audition about 6 or 7 times...she has a great voice!!!

I've read stuff about Lauren online, but I'm really trying to judge her based on her voice and her voice alone. I don't like that she was touted as the best ever, but the girl was very good!

My other favorite was Adrienne, the one who was adopted by white parents and raised on the farm. I really liked the tone of her voice. Hopefully she makes it far!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;4171914;
    I've read stuff about Lauren online, but I'm really trying to judge her based on her voice and her voice alone. I don't like that she was touted as the best ever, but the girl was very good!

My other favorite was Adrienne, the one who was adopted by white parents and raised on the farm. I really liked the tone of her voice. Hopefully she makes it far!
    I just remember when Ace was crowned winner after "Father Figure".

LOL! But you never know, there has been a time when a winner was pretty much determined with an audition: Carrie Underwood.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;4172042;
    LOL! But you never know, there has been a time when a winner was pretty much determined with an audition: Carrie Underwood.
    Very true and I think the only time (maybe Fantasia too)

Yeah, you can definitely argue that. I remember the day after her audition aired -- people would not stop talking about her! But Latoya did look like the frontrunner for a while, while Fantasia sort of stood in the background. Even after "Summertime," she had a couple of B3 appearances. (And it should be noted that when she, Jennifer, and Latoya landed in the bottom, Fantasia was the one that people expected to go IIRC.) I don't know, S3 was a pretty unpredictable season.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;4172042;
    I agree that Carrie stood out in her audition - pretty girl + strong voice + winning personality. But look at the winners since: Taylor, Jordan, David C, Kris A, and Lee. Who would have pegged any of them at their audition as destined for the top four, much less the winner? I think that all the auditions can really do is separate the wheat from the chaff.

Nearly every year there the people that the judges/producers think are going to go the distance (Archuleta, Gokey, Bowersox). These people may make it to the finale, but they rarely win.

Screenwriter James Goldman (Butch Cassidy, All the Presidents Men, The Princess Bride) coined a phrase regarding the movie industry, but I think it applies to Idol as well:

"Nobody knows anything."

Nobody knows when they are putting together a movie whether it will be a hit or a flop. They may act like they know; they may give you all their theories and quote "inside information". But, just like the most sure-fire star laden movie projects can go bust, a thrilling Idol audition may turn out to the be high water mark of these kid's careers. You just never know. The producers don't; the judges don't; the rabid fans and Idol experts don't. "Nobody knows anything."

Which is what gives Idol the ability to hold our attention for four months of the year. (Or not, as the case may be.) The mighty fall, and the humble rise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567