+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 1/20 Audition Rounds *Spoilers*

Re: 1/20 Audition Rounds *Spoilers*

I that chubby kid that looks like 12 lied about his age. He also sounds like a kid. His voice is still underdeveloped. He sang well though. Too bad we don't have Simon anymore or he would have said...Hmmmmm, your voice is good for Disney, maybe even competition for Justin Bieber but that's not what we are looking for in this show. I agree that the age limit should be raised from 18 (contestant should turn 18 by the start of the show) and maybe even up to 30yo so contestants like Angela Martin can be given a 2nd chance (but only for those who auditioned before).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4156797;
    Instead of American Idol, they could change it to "Teen Idol". ...
    They did do a Teen Idol - I think it was the summer after the second season. It didn't do so well. It's one thing to skewer the dreams of a twentysomething on TV; it's quite another when you are telling a 12 year old "That was like the sound a cat makes when it's thrown off a ten story building!" People didn't want to watch it.

I don't have have a problem with the age limit. I am willing to give just about anybody a shot to try and impress me and I've heard amazingly mature and soulful voices come out of the youngest little packages. I just want to hear good singing, I don't care about the back story, I don't care that their dog died when they were 2 and their cat ran away when they were 5 and they were bullied as a child. Really, I don't. Call me heartless, don't care, I want to hear singing. For me, this is a singing competition....period.

All that being said, the problem I have with many of the children is that they sound like little mechanical robots. They have not lived, therefore there is no soul or passion in their voices. And it makes me extremely uncomfortable hearing a 15 year old sing about sex and love when we all know dang well that they don't have a clue what it means to have lived.

However, this is not something that is just for the kids, there have been adult contestants on this show who also had no experience in their voices and I didn't like them either. I have also heard some kids who have been through hell and back already in their young lives and its in their voices and gives me chills. The kid in the red tee? The one at the very end of the NJ audition show? Had that kind of voice, you could tell he has lived, you could feel the emotion in his words. I would buy his music. Robbie is the same way (the one in the wheel chair), another young singer who you can feel the life in that voice.

Then you have the smiley pageant queen from Lumberton, NC. She sounded like a robot, all smiles and Disney, it is singers like her that give other child singers a bad name.

Anyways, just my opinion. LOL don't care about the age, the story, or the circumstances....just sing and do it well enough to give me "goosies".
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;4157785;
    I that chubby kid that looks like 12 lied about his age. He also sounds like a kid. His voice is still underdeveloped. He sang well though. Too bad we don't have Simon anymore or he would have said...Hmmmmm, your voice is good for Disney, maybe even competition for Justin Bieber but that's not what we are looking for in this show. I agree that the age limit should be raised from 18 (contestant should turn 18 by the start of the show) and maybe even up to 30yo so contestants like Angela Martin can be given a 2nd chance (but only for those who auditioned before).
    I think it would be a 4th chance for Angela Martin. We could just keep increasing the age until she finally makes it through, then vote her off immediately.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

America's Got Talent and Paula's new show are where these children belong, if anywhere, yet. When they did the Teen Idol, what channel was it on? I just think if it were on Disney, it would work better. I do know that they do a live Idol-type competition at the Disney theme parks. I think we just need to guide our children in that direction.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;4157797;
    I think it would be a 4th chance for Angela Martin. We could just keep increasing the age until she finally makes it through, then vote her off immediately.
    Actually it will just be a second chance this time because she pulled herself from the competition before she made it to Hollywood when her father was killed and then her 2nd trip to Hollywood, she got a warrant for her arrest due to a traffic violation that she could not pay. So technically, last year was her 1st chance to make it to the top 24. Unfortunaley, they had to put through less talented girls. My take on that selection is that if they had to decide between a 29yo and a 16yo with equal talent, I would rather choose the one that has one last chance to make it. The 16yo can re-audition 13 more times (i.e. Haley Vaugh who was pretty bad actually). Angela even had a very good back story, with her epileptic daughter and her missing mother, that America would love so most thought that she was a shoe-in. It was the opposite case with the boys when flat singing 20yo Tim Urban replaced Chris Golightly instead of replacing him with the 16yo Thaddeus Johnson who was way more talented.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 01-22-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4158058;
    America's Got Talent and Paula's new show are where these children belong, if anywhere, yet. When they did the Teen Idol, what channel was it on? I just think if it were on Disney, it would work better. I do know that they do a live Idol-type competition at the Disney theme parks. I think we just need to guide our children in that direction.
    They do one here in Canada, called The Next Star, on the YTV (Youth TV) network. One of the judges is Sweet Susie McNeil, Rock Star INXS alum. The judges are very kind to the kids, of course. The contestants are 15 and under, and the top prize is the release of a song on iTunes. Small beans compared to AI, but anyone can audition (they're generally held in shopping malls) and hey, they get to be on TV.

As for the NO auditions - I liked Joveny in spite of the impromptu abs competition. Nice voice, tons of personality and charisma, easy on the eyes. A good all-around ticket winner.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I loved Sweet Suzie!
    Last edited by Unklescott; 01-22-2011 at 06:58 PM.

When they did the Teen Idol, what channel was it on?
    It was called "American Juniors", It aired immediately after Season 2 of AI on Fox. Gladys Knight and Debbie Gibson were regular judges and Ryan Seacrest was the host. Two of the finalists are on TV shows right now. Lucy Hale stars in "Pretty Little Liars" and Katelyn Tarver is a regular on "Parenthood". I admit I was a huge fan of "American Juniors" at the time.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

It's actually an American Idol show called "The American Idol Experience" at Hollywood Studios in WDW, complete with Ryan Seacrest video, videos from past contestants, and CMs playing/imitating Ryan, Paula, Randy, and Simon. It's really cool to see at least once; the set is very similar to the real thing. I heard an absolutely amazing singer there last summer. They have several shows with 3 (?) people each during the day, then at night the winners of each show come back to sing again. The one who wins that show (and it is LONG), gets a "golden ticket" to the front of the line of any AI audition. Sadly, that great singer I mentioned came in 2nd to some girl who screeched instead of sang. But hey, she said it was her birthday! So it goes. Kinda sums up a lot of the issues with this show lately.

I am not enjoying this season one bit. I completely forgot about the premiere, and then when I sat down to watch Thursday's show, it was just too much for me. I actually liked JLo, but Steven Tyler.... Just no. I didn't think he would bother me much, but he does. Maybe a combo of that and the fact that I miss Simon so much. Randy seems totally out of place now without any of the "old timers."

I'm going to give it another try tomorrow night, but otherwise I will just check back when the live shows start and see if it's any better. If not... I think my AI days are over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345