+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: AI 10: Spoilers

Re: AI 10: Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Paul & his band had an album that was on the bubbling under charts just 2 weeks ago, but it suddenly disappeared from ITunes....manipulation by TPTB?
    I read somewhere that it magically came back, with no explanation. Hmm.

I wouldn't put it past Idol. But really, what's the point of making the album go away?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Who's to say there is a plant? In this day and age, I think that would be very hard to keep concealed. When was that season where it seemed like half the contestants had had some sort of recording experience? I remember that being all over the internet.

Season 7 and 8 had a bunch of contestants in the Top 12 that were considered plants.

Half of them had previous recording contracts and then they failed to produce anything else up until the time they were cast on Idol.

I am not saying there are plants this season, but even if there are TPTB are not going to talk about it.

Some people might not even care. David Cook won and he was considered a plant during his season.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    Season 7 and 8 had a bunch of contestants in the Top 12 that were considered plants.

Half of them had previous recording contracts and then they failed to produce anything else up until the time they were cast on Idol.
    I also vaguely remember that most of them admitted it.

I am not saying there are plants this season, but even if there are TPTB are not going to talk about it.
    They might not, but surely the people who knew the contestant would. I remember right after Daughtry auditioned. I was on another internet board and somebody said, "He goes to my church and his band does the worship!" This person provided a link to the website of Daughtry's old band, where you could actually download their songs. I just think, as media and internet savy as everyone seems to be these days, that it would be hard to conceal information for long.

Some people might not even care. David Cook won and he was considered a plant during his season.
    It depends on how you define "plant." When he came back in a later season to perform, he told Ryan how surreal it was. Before Idol, he said, he had self-produced an album that only sold about a thousand copies. And now look, he just had an album go platinum. I only consider it unfair if a contestant had a contract with a major recording label.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Paul's album with his band the Great Magnolias or something along those lines was self produced & self released. It has returned to ITunes. I suspect, there would have been lawyers involved from the other members of the band had Idol kept it off the available list. After all, how can anyone keep people not affiliated with the show from making an income?

Thank you for clarifying that. Now I would love to hear any info about Lauren. Maybe I'm just really dense, but why would anyone think she's a plant? I haven't noticed anything unusual about her.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

I don't think plants are bad for American Idol. As long as they can keep me invested enough to vote for them I don't care how many albums they have sold. I was just curious if anyone heard rumors about there being one this season. It is all good.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

I have mixed feelings about them. I remember either season 7 or 8, they had a couple of female contestants who had had prior contracts. For one, the label was a minor one that went out of business. For the other, the label never did anything with her and then just dropped her. That's hardly the contestants' fault, is it? OTOH, they were good enough to get noticed and signed in the first place, so does that violate the spirit of AI, in that they were not pure, raw talent? I don't know...

FORT Fogey

I don't think contestants are considered "plants" just because they had previous deals. It is the connections that mattered. Didi was the plantiest plant I have ever seen. She had rather strong connections to the guys Kara DioGuardi writes half of her hits with. AND she gave a bunch of promotion to Kara's music by singing her songs on the show. She was the last straw for me. Lauren is rather suspicious. At this point, she is just a producer favorite though. That is not as bad as a plant.
    I like that we have themes. Last year, nobody stuck with the theme anyway. If it was gospel week, they still managed to find a way to make it pop/folk or whatever that mess they tried to shove down our throats last year was. Themes don't really matter since we have the guest producers now.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    I like that we have themes. Last year, nobody stuck with the theme anyway. If it was gospel week, they still managed to find a way to make it pop/folk or whatever that mess they tried to shove down our throats last year was. Themes don't really matter since we have the guest producers now.
    That's not how I saw theme weeks. I liked that they were given a theme with which to work - and put their personalized spin on it. When Mariah Carey was on during David Cook's season and they all had to choose one of her songs, DC knocked it out of the park with Always Be My Baby. His version was a thousand times better than hers. Or when they all had to do Dolly Parton songs during country week, his Little Sparrow was not sung country. When done right, it's fascinating to see them take a genre and put their stamp on it. Daughtry did the same thing with I Walk the Line. I know there are more examples, but I can't think off the top of my head right now.

ETA: I thought I read somewhere that they're doing Motown this week.
    Last edited by LuvThisStuf!; 03-21-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf! View Post
    That's not how I saw theme weeks. I liked that they were given a theme with which to work - and put their personalized spin on it. When Mariah Carey was on during David Cook's season and they all had to choose one of her songs, DC knocked it out of the park with Always Be My Baby. His version was a thousand times better than hers. Or when they all had to do Dolly Parton songs during country week, his Little Sparrow was not sung country. When done right, it's fascinating to see them take a genre and put their stamp on it. Daughtry did the same thing with I Walk the Line. I know there are more examples, but I can't think off the top of my head right now.
    I totally agree with you. My hubby is a big Parton fan, but he loved DC's version of "Little Sparrow" so much that he downloaded it and made it his ringtone for me. For other examples, try just about everything Adam Lambert did.

ETA: I thought I read somewhere that they're doing Motown this week.
    Somebody said that here, too. I'm kind of dreading it. Jacob will have a blast, Scotty will probably be ok with his deep voice, but can you see James doing Motown?

+ Reply to Thread