+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's Official: Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler Join Randy Jackson

It's Official: Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler Join Randy Jackson

September 22, 2010 | 11:54 am PT
    Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler Join Randy Jackson
    Golden Globe-nominated actress, platinum-selling recording artist, movie producer and entrepreneur Jennifer Lopez and multiple Grammy Award-winning singer and songwriter, and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Steven Tyler, the frontman of Aerosmith – the best-selling American rock band of all time – have joined AMERICAN IDOL as judges. Lopez and Tyler will join returning IDOL judge Randy Jackson for the 10th anniversary season, which premieres January 2011 on FOX.
    Rest of article here

Video of Press Conference

Re: It's Official: Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler Join Randy Jackson

Well, I did say I would admit I was wrong, so what can I say? I was wrong.

I will also add that for the first time in a long time I will not be watching AI. Nothing about either Tyler or JLo particularly appeals to me.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

I will watch it for the kids which is why I always watch it, but I will continue to mute the sound as I always did when any of the judges spoke.

FORT Fogey

In general, I applaud all efforts to shake up this show that was quickly going stale. Specifics:
    • Randy Jackson: Bleah. My least favorite judge. Oh well, I guess it's good that someone on the panel knows the drill and can show the new guys the ropes.
    • Jennifer Lopez: She might be good. I'm willing to give her a chance.
    • Steven Tyler: WTF? He's never struck me as particularly... articulate. Maybe he's the new "Crazy Paula"?
    • No Guest Mentors: Bravo! The show's about the kids and all the mentor screen time took us away from the contestants. Good riddance.
    • Permanent Mentor - Jimmy Lovine: Wow! The chairman of Interscope-Geffen-A&M is going to mentor the kids every week. He will be able to gradually develop them the way a label would. Much better than getting random "advice" from Miley Cyrus.
    • No Theme Weeks / Contestants Always Perform Their Genre: Actually, I liked the way the themes challenged contestants and showed their versatility and/or their musical intelligence. At least until last season in which every contestant floundered outside their own style and no one tried to radically reshape a song.

The one thing that concerns me from the press conference is the overall sense that, in order to be a success, Idol should be producing a Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson level star every year. If that is the goal, then they need to drop the audience voting and let an expert panel pick the winner.

I've never considered post-Idol success as the goal. I think people vote on how they perceive the contestants during the competition. Someone might potentially be the next Justin Beiber, but if they flub their song then they risk going home.

Either Idol is primarily a reality TV "singing competition", or it's a pop star factory. But one will have to yield to the other. (Unless the producers intend to "guide" the competition results toward their preferred multi-platinum winner. But they have fallen on their face when they've attempted such shenanigans in the past.)

Key unanswered question: Who is coming in to replace Ricky Minor & Company?
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 09-22-2010 at 05:15 PM.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;4066848;
    Either Idol is primarily a reality TV "singing competition", or it's a pop star factory. But one will have to yield to the other. (Unless the producers intend to "guide" the competition results toward their preferred multi-platinum winner. But they have fallen on their face when they've attempted such shenanigans in the past.)

I think that dichotomy has troubled the show from the beginning, though it's not seemed to hurt the ratings.

As for the band, I say get the guys from Rockstar INXS(I think that was the name of the show). But that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;4066848;
    In general, I applaud all efforts to shake up this show that was quickly going stale. Specifics:
    • Randy Jackson: Bleah. My least favorite judge. Oh well, I guess it's good that someone on the panel knows the drill and can show the new guys the ropes.
    • Jennifer Lopez: She might be good. I'm willing to give her a chance.
    • Steven Tyler: WTF? He's never struck me as particularly... articulate. Maybe he's the new "Crazy Paula"?
    • No Guest Mentors: Bravo! The show's about the kids and all the mentor screen time took us away from the contestants. Good riddance.
    • Permanent Mentor - Jimmy Lovine: Wow! The chairman of Interscope-Geffen-A&M is going to mentor the kids every week. He will be able to gradually develop them the way a label would. Much better than getting random "advice" from Miley Cyrus.
    I wonder if they're trying to emulate Simon Cowell's show The X-Factor? (see my other thread)

7. No Theme Weeks / Contestants Always Perform Their Genre: Actually, I liked the way the themes challenged contestants and showed their versatility and/or their musical intelligence. At least until last season in which every contestant floundered outside their own style and no one tried to radically reshape a song.
I'm with you. I liked the different genres because it forced the contestants to get creative and out of their comfort zones. The best contestants rose to the challenge and fused the genre with their own type of music--think Daughtry, Adam Lambert, and David Cook.

This season, if they get a batch of mediocre contestants, then heaven help the show. It could turn into one long, boring concert...

The one thing that concerns me from the press conference is the overall sense that, in order to be a success, Idol should be producing a Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson level star every year. If that is the goal, then they need to drop the audience voting and let an expert panel pick the winner.

I've never considered post-Idol success as the goal. I think people vote on how they perceive the contestants during the competition. Someone might potentially be the next Justin Beiber, but if they flub their song then they risk going home.

Interesting observation. The progenitor of Idol in the UK, "Pop Idol," died after a few seasons. My husband is British and he says that while they did have a couple of big stars for a while, he can't even remember those singers' names now.

I think the success of Clarkson/Underwood/Daughtry raised unrealistic expectations in the viewing audience. Now they expect to have that kind of star break out every season, and so naturally, they're disappointed. I think given this kind of pressure, the show should focus on grooming pop stars.
Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred;4066837;
    Nothing about either Tyler or JLo particularly appeals to me.

DITTO!

I will watch the auditions to see if anyone catches my eye (or rather, ear).

Not sure how the "sing your own genre" thing is gonna go. What if you are good at more than one genre? How will we know if there is a "cross over artist" in the bunch if they are to be pigeonhold from the get-go?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Actually, JLo makes perfect sense to me. She's had numerous hit records and she has quite the stage presence and she's articulate. At least she will be until she drinks whatever they serve in those Coke cups... I also don't think she'll be afraid to hurt feelings if she needs to. Steven Tyler...interesting choice. Not sure how that will pan out, but I'm keeping an open mind.

I'm not sure how I'll like the genre thing, but there were some themes that drove me nuts. Mostly because the style of music they were forced to sing is no longer relevant today.

No HCJ? They should reserve the right to bring him on again. He was fantastic.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4070215;
    Actually, JLo makes perfect sense to me. She's had numerous hit records and she has quite the stage presence and she's articulate. At least she will be until she drinks whatever they serve in those Coke cups... I also don't think she'll be afraid to hurt feelings if she needs to. Steven Tyler...interesting choice. Not sure how that will pan out, but I'm keeping an open mind.

I'm not sure how I'll like the genre thing, but there were some themes that drove me nuts. Mostly because the style of music they were forced to sing is no longer relevant today.

No HCJ? They should reserve the right to bring him on again. He was fantastic.
    They have yet to name the replacement musical director. Connick leads a great band. Perhaps, he would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4070038;
    DITTO!

I will watch the auditions to see if anyone catches my eye (or rather, ear).

[snip]
    I think I'll skip the auditions and just wait until the live shows begin. I know I said I wouldn't watch in another thread, but I'll give it a go just to see how the changes work out.

• + Reply to Thread