+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Still No Judges for AI

Re: Still No Judges for AI

I don't know if they were considering Nigel Lithgoe, but he is now off the market. He will take over Larry King Live in January when Larry retires.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4057505;
    I don't know if they were considering Nigel Lithgoe, but he is now off the market. He will take over Larry King Live in January when Larry retires.
    I thought it was Piers Morgan replacing him? This is according to the CNN website and an announcement they made on it.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

When did this happen? They just announced yesterday that Piers Morgan was taking over for Larry King.

FORT Fogey

Nigel is the producer so he probably wasn't considering himself as a potential AI judge. Piers is the King replacement.,

MY SOOOO BAD...It is Piers Morgan and NOT Nigel Lithgoe who is replacing Larry King. ARGHHH!!!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;4057305;
    the kids have always auditioned in front of producers during the first round. The judges don't normally roll into the cities for the finals until later this month, so this producer /judge thing is nothing new They do have to get going on the real judge issue NOW because there is no good buzz about this.

Nobody is impressed with how it is going and it will only hurt the show further. Where are your brains Nigel?

I thought of that, too. I've read articles in the past about the auditioning process. Basically you start in groups of 3 or 4 in front of a producer, and only if you're selected there are you allowed to move on to the judges. Those stadium shots you see during the audition shows are just the cattle call round when you go before the producers. (The author of the article I read said very few people made it to the next round, and most of those were people who were clearly not serious, i.e. people in costume. She said the stadium booed every time one of these people came out with a golden ticket.)

Anyway, back to GMA. The announcer said "They're still holding auditions, but with producers sitting at the table instead of the iconic judges." She said this at the very end of the piece, clearly implying that she was talking about the round where the contestants are supposed to be in front of Simon and co. I'm not saying she's right. Who knows? This may all be a publicity stunt. That's just how GMA framed the piece, though.

Oh, I should clarify something. They didn't actually interview Tyler live. They showed a clip of him telling a reporter that he hadn't been asked and probably wouldn't do it. For all we know, things might have changed since that clip and AI is keeping it under wraps. This will be fascinating to see how this unfolds over the next few months.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

I am not putting a whole lot of faith in the GMA piece. AI gives the impression that from the start everybody appears before the judges. It isn't until we began to hear about the process from people who have been through it, did we realize the truth and if you don't go to AI boards, you still would not know that. I don't think there has ever been a shot on television of the line of kids each singing a couple of notes in front of a table of associate producers.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I think Shania Twain would be a great judge. I loved watching her segment as guest judge last season. Her appearance as one of the weekly 'coaches' kind of rounded that out as well. She'd be a great female replacement judge.

If J-Stuck-on-herself (Jennifer Lopez) is the replacement, then I won't be watching. I've no interest in hearing anything she has to say. What's she going to instruct these kids on doing, how to become the biggest diva?

Steven Tyler might be fun, a bit of a wild card, and don't they need someone like that after Simon's departure? I'm still out on how good he'd be but I wouldn't have a problem watching him if he was chosen.

Harmony, I think you made a good point and your theory makes a lot of sense. I bet they've already got the judges in place...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I wish they would've considered Neil Patrick Harris. He was really sharp as a guest judge.

FORT Fogey

I think Neil Patrick and Shania would be great additions. Each showed their value while doing the auditions. I also lke that Shania has the country background and Neil Patrick has done some big stage numbers while EMCEEing award shows....sort of Broadway-like. The fact the Simon knew nothing about either genre was always annoying to me. He would just dismiss any song from either category becasue all he looked for was the POP money star. These two would give AI somethng different.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast