Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ellen Quits American Idol

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Ellen Quits American Idol

Ellen is stepping down as a judge!

Ellen DeGeneres leaves 'American Idol'
    by Lynette Rice
    Categories: American Idol, Deals, News, Television

Fox announced today that Ellen DeGeneres has decided to step down from her role as as judge on American Idol. DeGeneres joined the panel in its ninth season. The network released this statement today: “A couple months ago, I let Fox and the American Idol producers know that this didn’t feel like the right fit for me,” said DeGeneres. “I told them I wouldn’t leave them in a bind and that I would hold off on doing anything until they were able to figure out where they wanted to take the panel next. It was a difficult decision to make, but my work schedule became more than I bargained for. I also realized this season that while I love discovering, supporting and nurturing young talent, it was hard for me to judge people and sometimes hurt their feelings. I loved the experience working on IDOL and I am very grateful for the year I had. I am a huge fan of the show and will continue to be.”

Fox released a statement of its own: “We love Ellen and understand and support her decision to bow out of IDOL,” said Peter Rice, Chairman of Entertainment, Fox Networks Group. “We were fortunate to receive the humor, energy and love for talent that she brought to the show.”

Ellen DeGeneres leaves 'American Idol' | EW.com
    Wake up and be awesome

Re: Ellen Quits American Idol

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. As a matter of fact, I'm glad to see her go.

Wow- thanks for the heads up! I have to say I am very surprised to hear Ellen left Idol. I read yesterday that the producers were meeting with Jessica Simpson. I wonder if she will be Ellen's replacement?

They just need to go back to three judges. 4 is too much.

As much as I love Ellen, it wasn't a good fit. I had high hopes for her too.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Oh, no. She was the only remaining judge that I liked. But I agree, she never seemed comfortable there. It's a sinking ship anyway, IMO.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

FORT Fogey

As soon as I heard that Nigel Lythgoe was returning as 19E executive producer, I figured that we were in for more changes at the judges table. Nigel has been very vocal about wanting to go back to a three judge panel and he has voiced the opinion that the entire panel should be replaced.

And as Ellen herself realizes, she just didn't find a niche on the panel. Other than some occasional wit, she was pretty much redundant. I mean, when Kara becomes the most intelligent voice at the table - something is wrong.

As for Jessica Simpson - give me a break!

FORT Fan

Good move on Ellen's part. It wasn't working for her and she is smart to realize that quickly.

FORT Fogey

The latest report is that Fox closed a deal this week with Jennifer Lopez, and that was the catalyst for making Ellen's departure public.

JENNIFER LOPEZ IS NEW IDOL JUDGE! Replaces Exiting Ellen DeGeneres Who Told Fox: "It's Not Been Fun"

We've just learned the backstory of how Ellen DeGeneres bowed out of American Idol and who will be its new judge taking her place. It's Jennifer Lopez, who's singing and acting career has been on the skids after her recent movie failed at the box office in the spring and she was dropped by her record company Sony Music Epic Records this past winter. We hear her manager Benny Medina (whom she once fired) orchestrated the meeting with the American Idol producers a month ago, and negotiations have been ongoing ever since. We've learned a deal was closed earlier this week under the utmost secrecy.

Still to be decided is who will replace Simon Cowell. Everyone associated with the show wants Elton John, but we hear he's asking for too much money and has too many touring commitments he can't get out of. Tonight, unconfirmed reports say Idol has offered Cowell's judge seat to Steven Tyler.

If that rumor is true, I think Lopez is a great idea. Hopefully her addition will bring in more Latin singers (I'm still a little bitter over Jose Munoz going so early). Ellen leaving because she didn't think she was a good fit and was too busy? Really? (sarcasm) and it had nothing to do with us, the viewers, not liking her and thinking she was an idiot who could only say "great"?

Now if only they'd ditch Kara and Randy as well, I like that Nigel has said he wants to replace the whole panel. In my opinion it is the best route to take because otherwise there will be comparisons to Simon and one can almost guarantee that the new judge will be found lacking. By starting fresh, it will make it the comparisons harder and will give the show some vitality and excitement that it is currently missing.

And....I doubt that little-Miss-are-they-looking-at-me? Kara will be happy having a bonafide diva sitting next to her because they will most definitely be looking at Jennifer and not her.

Oooo Tyler and Lopez.....I may actually watch next season if they are the judges. Hmmm....so which is going to get booted? Randy or Kara? Since Nigel has said he wants a 3-judge panel?
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fan

The judges would be 41, 54, and 62 if true and cougar gets the boot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast