+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ellen Quits American Idol

FORT Fogey

Re: Ellen Quits American Idol

Kara is the easiest judge to lose because her contract is year to year. She has yet to be renewed for Season Ten. (At least no announcement has been made.)

They could drop Randy, but they would probably still have to pay out the rest of his multi-year contract. Still, that's chump change compared to what they are saving this year by not having to pay Simon Cowell his $10 mil / year fee. Buying off Randy would be money well spent, from my point of view.

To misquote Shakespeare:

"The first thing we do is kill off the judges."
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 07-30-2010 at 05:36 AM.

TMZ is reporting that Kara's been fired, and that J Lo and Steven Tyler will be the new judges

I don't know if it could be classified as being fired, since Kara was on a 1 year deal. Not renewed is probably a better term. Whatever, they haven't gotten rid of Randy yet, which is the first thing they should have done.

FORT Fogey

Wow that is a huge stir up. I did notice that when Ellen was not camera ready --in a background shot or not thinking the camera was on her---she wasn't smiling, ever. When made aware of the camera, she put on her big smle, so I did think all year that she wasn't comfortable on the panel. Jennifer Lopez could be OK. Steven Tyler, not so much. With the talk of Brett M's coming on as a judge, maybe they did want a rocker and Tyler is their choice?? Hope..hope...hope Kara is also gone.

They should have Harry Conick Jr. be a judge. I really don't think Ellen was comfortable.

FORT Fogey

Now that I pondered this, I wonder about the conflicting ellen stories. She did say at one time that she would have a say in the Simon replacement, so I wonder if her "removal" was not a resignation but part of the whole Nigel clean-out. Maybe she was given the chance to say it was her idea. I know they want a big personality to replace simon's big shadow.....but with the front man for a rock band, plus an outrageous one at that, it just seems like there would be a huge attention grab by Tyler at the expense of the kids.

FORT Fan

I don't think I am going to like J.Lo. She is pretty and all. But the nasal voice is a turnoff.

Can't blame Ellen for jumping off the sinking ship.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I think Ellen wasn't happy on this show. She's such a fan of the show it was probably difficult to make the transistion. Also she does like to be supportive and upbeat and being a judge on AI isn't the best way to do that. I don't think she ever found her spot to relax and feel comfortable. And perhaps there's a ton of stuff going on behind the scenes it was just easier to bow out now gracefully.

I'd be thrilled with the news of Kara not returning. IMO she's never added anything of value to the judges panel.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;4014843;
    Can't blame Ellen for jumping off the sinking ship.
    I agree..Ellen is a smart lady she knows when to bail!

I think with Simon leaving, it is wise to start with fresh judges...I still agree with the above poster and say Harry Conick Jr would be a great replacement he is always well received when on the show by both fans & contestants!

I think of JoLo as an actress not a recording artist. Although she could be useful in those who are there to "cross over" (you know..the "pretty ones") A JoLo fit seems like Randy pushed it to me ...I don't see people tuning in to see what JoLo has to say..sorry

I believe that if the show wants to boost their viewing audience ..they should try to lure Bret Michaels not Steven Tyler..Brett Michaels is riding a HUGE wave of wide audience appeal.

Then again, this could all be for nothing more than a final swan song as I think the show has run its course (at least with the format as it is)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast