+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Season Ten - News, Rumor, Speculation

FORT Fogey

Re: Season Ten - News, Rumor, Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3944776;
    And what happens to these kids after Idol? David Archuleta never finished high school. Neither did Allison. You can bet that Katie and Aaron won't either. Their tour will end in mid-September, two or three weeks into the school year. But by that time they will be pursuing record contracts, trying to "strike while the iron is hot", before they become yesterday's news.

Here's my suggestion: abolish the minimum age. Instead, require a high school diploma in order to go to the Hollywood round. If some kid wants to finish high school early so they can audition for AI early - let them knock themselves out. But don't preempt this minimum education requirement just to compete on a TV show.
    Fantasia didn't have a high school diploma. Jordin didn't have a high school diploma. We'd miss out on a lot of talent with that requirement. If the producers wanted to eliminate youngsters from competing, they would just raise the minimum age. They obviously want to attract younger contestants and younger viewers since they lowered the age minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3944656;
    Instead of Coke being a sponsor it will now be Pampers. The show will now be shown on Saturday mornings so the audience will have time to vote before bedtime. I could go on and on.
    Unk. Don't forget the judges's cups, now provided courtesy of Juicy Juice. And pimpmercials sponsored by Big Wheel.

15 seems pretty young to me.
    What was the prior requirement?

I just think the show has had a good run, but it's now more than time to retire it to TV heaven.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3946145;
    15 seems pretty young to me.
    What was the prior requirement?

I just think the show has had a good run, but it's now more than time to retire it to TV heaven.
    16. Maybe if this is the last season, they are trying to expand the talent pool and allow more singers to participate. I really don't think this changes much. Maybe younger people will start watching again. It would give the show a ratings boost if that happened.

They're going in the wrong direction - if they wanted it to be a real competition, they would have raised the age to 18. Instead, they're putting it squarely into preteen land to find a pretty boy whose singing can be corrected in a studio.

Quote Originally Posted by brierpatch;3946294;
    They're going in the wrong direction - if they wanted it to be a real competition, they would have raised the age to 18. Instead, they're putting it squarely into preteen land to find a pretty boy whose singing can be corrected in a studio.
    Last year they tried to find a new Taylor Swift...that didn't work out so well.

FORT Fogey

Pop stars are young. The idea that some would consider shutting the door to teens just shows why we aren't record executives. We also voted for the same winner 3 years in a row! Each year, the winner is less successful.
    I think there are obvious biases against gender and age. That's a shame because the males that have won this show haven't been doing so well. I think the least successful female winner is probably more successful than the most successful male. Also, the oldest winner has done the worst. I think the audience has a huge role in driving the show in the wrong direction.

FORT Fogey

I have to challenge the notion of "success" as equaling "moving units" in Walmart and iTunes.

Ke$ha, the Black Eyed Peas, The Beiber, and Katy Perry sell tons of records and meet that definition of success. But, I wouldn't vote for any of them on American Idol.

The music market is perfectly capable producing mega-selling flashes in the pan. Idol, on the other hand, should be allowing the audience to find musical talent. Not next month's magazine covers. That is my criteria - talent. If they sell, they sell. If not in the short term - these people will have careers in the long term because they have the goods to keep going, whether the current market recognizes it or not.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I do not like the idea of lowering the age. As it is, the 16 year olds usually cannot measure up. Often I think itís a shame they didnít wait another year or two.

None of us have ever been able to see all that goes on during the Hollywood rounds. But we keep seeing performances by contestants who seem to be very talented, but do not make it to the top 24 (or 36). Maybe the real problem isnít that the age range is too tight, but that theyíre so fixated on having contestants with a back story they can use that theyíre letting more talented people go. When you hear about people like Hillary Scott of Lady Antebellum not even making it past the first round, you have to wonder how well the selection process works.

Well the good news is if they lower the age and have nothing but teens on the show, we will all have the excuse we are looking for to stop watching. Maybe that's the master plan, turn this into the Teen Idol and push all us older viewers over to Simon's new venture so we can make that popular (like we did AI) and then the kids will follow us over there.

Other than that, I have no idea why they would think this is a good idea and I will definitely not be watching a season full of teens. I hate...HATE....how nasty the judges are to the kids. As a mother and as a decent human being it makes me very uncomfortable seeing an adult spewing foul comments (even if they aren't cursing they are still hurtful and hateful) towards somebody under the age of 18. No way would I subject myself to an entire season of that.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast