View Poll Results: Who should be the next Idol judge?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bret Michaels

39 59.09%
  • Elton John

1 1.52%
  • Cher

3 4.55%
  • Justin Bieber - He's a musical genius

0 0%
  • Bring back Paula

3 4.55%
  • Ryan - Let Ryan judge and Ellen host the show

0 0%
  • No one, cancel this thing already

13 19.70%
  • A N Other

7 10.61%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Should Replace Simon?

FORT Fogey

Re: Who Should Replace Simon?

Have you guys seen Rock of Love? How about Celebrity Apprentice? Bret is not focused enough to be a judge on Idol!

I really like Ellen DeGeneres but don't think she brought much to the show this year. So, I would say go back to three judges - keep Randy, keep Kara, add Neil Patrick Harris. He isn't a "huge musical star" like Harry Connick, Jr. OR Bret Michaels and he is just acerbic enough to put a little vinegar into his comments when needed.

I was the only one who voted (so far) for Elton John in the poll. I think if he was in the right mood, he could make the panel VERY interesting. Seems like he might throw a good hissy fit every once in awhile.

If you want some "sexual" tension and not just judges dissing on each other, stick John Mayer up there with any female besides Ellen. He thinks he's all that, let's see him try to work some magic on some ladies that will shoot him down quick. :nono
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3921169;
    I really like Ellen DeGeneres but don't think she brought much to the show this year. So, I would say go back to three judges - keep Randy, keep Kara, add Neil Patrick Harris. He isn't a "huge musical star" like Harry Connick, Jr. OR Bret Michaels and he is just acerbic enough to put a little vinegar into his comments when needed.

I was the only one who voted (so far) for Elton John in the poll. I think if he was in the right mood, he could make the panel VERY interesting. Seems like he might throw a good hissy fit every once in awhile.

If you want some "sexual" tension and not just judges dissing on each other, stick John Mayer up there with any female besides Ellen. He thinks he's all that, let's see him try to work some magic on some ladies that will shoot him down quick. :nono
    I thought Elton John turned it down already. I didn't think he was in the running any longer. I haven't heard any rumors about NPH or HCJr. so maybe they aren't in the running either. Or maybe they just know how to keep quiet.
    I would not want John Mayer to appear on this show at all. I'd be afraid that "Little David Duke" might make an appearance. But maybe the panel would benefit from having a has-been in the third or fourth seat.

I didn't know Elton John had already turned this down....are there any leaks about who the job has been offered to and who has or has not indicated interest?

I think Harry Connick Jr. would also be quite good...he has enough of a biting sense of humor that could probably piss off Kara pretty good every once in awhile. Let's face it, we don't want three boring judges...we NEED some fussing and fighting down there, we NEED a little train wreck in judgeland every once in awhile to keep us watching. we need somebody like Paula.

Can't believe I just said that!!!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

FORT Fogey

Bret is being considered. Howard Stern was not being considered. I think he floated his name around for a while. Elton said he didn't want to do it, I think.

Remember when the show first began, Randy and Paula were "appalled" and "angered" by Simon's comments? We need someone who can do that! Someone who can shock us! Harry!

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3921225;
    Remember when the show first began, Randy and Paula were "appalled" and "angered" by Simon's comments? We need someone who can do that! Someone who can shock us! Harry!
    As easy as he is on the eyes, I don't see him being shocking or appalling.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I don' think that any established star is going to be foolish enough to take Simon's chair. They know what's going to happen - every fan of the show will resent them for replacing their favorite judge. They will be the "step-Simon". Every snark-shooting critic will have their pens ready to document the hubris of so-and-so thinking that they are as good as Cowell. It's the Deborah Norville Syndrome*.

The best bet is to replace the whole table, so no one is "Simon". Other than that, it is going to have to be someone who has nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking the gamble. Which is why I think it will have to be a non-celebrity who can risk going down in history as "the person who tried (and failed) to replace Simon Cowell".

* In 1990 the beloved Jane Pauley left the Today Show on NBC and was replaced by Deborah Norville. The public didn't take to Norville and the Today Show slid to second place in it's time slot for the first time in memory. In early 1991 Deborah went on maternity leave and Katie Couric stepped in to her place. Deborah never returned.

Excellent point about Deborah Norville...but if the new judge is not snarky or Simon-like, I think people won't compare and not like them.
    Ain't Love Grand!

NEIL PATRICK HARRIS!!!! He was amazing as a guest judge, quick, snappy & witty and dead-on observations since he does have some musical background. Voting for Neil here!!!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3921192;
    I think Harry Connick Jr. would also be quite good...

Yes, yes yes! Idol gods I beg of thee, give us Harry Connick Jr! Have been a fan of his for years. He's mega-talented, knows his stuff and isn't afraid to tell it like it is when need be.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast