+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142

Thread: 5/26 Season 9 Finale Part 2 *Spoilers*

Re: 5/26 Season 9 Finale Part 2 *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3917371;
    When I think of "nails on a chalkboard" I think of a screeching, high-pitched sound. Ruben was called the "Velvet Teddy Bear" because of his smooth, low, gentle tones. It's one of things I love about his singing. And, personality is in the eye of the beholder. I thought his quiet demeanor was adorable.
    --
    Nails on a chalkboard is subjective I guess. I don't find R&B in general "smooth" or "velvety" because of all the runs. It just grates on me. I didn't dislike Ruben, but I just couldn't listen to him sing.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

I think Gladys Knight is the one who called Reuben the "Velvet Teddy bear when she was a guest judge. If Gladys Knight doesn't know true talent then Nobody does. YMMV
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by libgirl2
    I say dump Kara and get Bret Michaels for a judge!
    That would be a great idea ! America is in love with him now, Idol would be smart to get him on the judging panel for next season.

Bret Michaels was a judge on Nashville Star (a country music show similar to AI) prior to his Rock of Love days .

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat;3916230;
    That would be a great idea ! America is in love with him now, Idol would be smart to get him on the judging panel for next season.

Bret Michaels was a judge on Nashville Star (a country music show similar to AI) prior to his Rock of Love days .

Great idea!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3917576;
    I think Gladys Knight is the one who called Reuben the "Velvet Teddy bear when she was a guest judge. If Gladys Knight doesn't know true talent then Nobody does. YMMV
    Its still subjective. People like what they like, regardless of who says what about that person. I never said he didn't have talent, just that I couldn't stand to listen to him.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

This Finale Was All About The Ladies

Yes last night was indeed all about the ladies (thank you Idol producers) but first I want to congratulate Lee and Crystal, and more important, Simon Cowell.

Lee and Crystal: Congratulations to Lee Dewyze. He wanted it and he got it. Left to me, Crystal would have won but America decided otherwise. After assuming the undisputed front-runner status; e.g., People Get Ready, Crystal dedicated most of her time to undoing that result via mediocre song choices and even more mediocre stage performances. I thought for a moment during the final show she’d changed her mind but she didn’t seem at all upset with the result so I’ll assume my first impression was right; she never really wanted this title and all the responsibilities and obligations it brings. It’s a good night and a good result when everyone gets exactly what they wanted. Honestly, I’m not infatuated musically with either of them but both are good kids, so I wish them nothing but the best.

Simon Cowell: As Joe Cocker said, Simon is a smart man; perhaps the only man with the power to change music for the better. Not sure Simon wants anything to do with all that but I agree with Joe. Perhaps Simon saw it coming; saw the writing on the wall and knew it was time. Or perhaps he really is “ready to move on” and just wants something new. This dude can spot pop talent in his sleep. He is just that good. He gets major props from me. I never really watched or enjoyed reality television before Idol. And it was Simon who created this ground-breaking program; it was his creative intelligence, business acumen, and pioneering vision that nurtured it and transformed it into a prime time ratings juggernaut. I will forever be grateful to him for seven seasons of wonderful television programming (didn’t care much for seasons two and season nine was well below par; the rest were great). All of us, we Idol fanatics, owe Simon a huge debt of gratitude for the wonderful gift he gave to us for so many years.

Let’s talk about the ladies on the AI stage last night:
    Carrie Underwood: Little Carrie has grown up. If you leave off the group songs (Andrew was noticeably off-key as usual) this was the best Idol Finale of them all. The guest singers turned in some stunning and very entertaining performances. It is obvious Carrie Underwood is now a fully developed stage performer and entertainer. Not a Kara fan (she certainly did Kris Allen no favor with No Boundaries) and I don’t think much of her Undo It lyric either, but Carrie presented them brilliantly. Her energetic and sexy stage presence, coupled with a hard-driving, R&B, toe-tapping rhythm combined to create a visually stunning experience. Little Carrie’s come a long way since Idol. She’s very much a sex symbol these days. I visit a lot of sports forums and she is the preferred Avatar by far. And if beauty, sex appeal, adoration, star quality, and success aren’t enough, she learned to dance; move, strut, and rock that body. She is one of my favorite Idols. I like her immensely and I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful performance.

Janet Jackson: I’ll need to be careful here but those who know and admire Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj will know what I mean. That aside, Janet is the only person on earth to sing, dance, move, and speak exactly like Michael. There were parts of Nothing that channeled every MJ idiosyncrasy known to man. Of course, that all changed with the raunchy Nasty Boys performance. Nothing is a message song; Nasty Boys is not; just fun. Janet Jackson is a fantastic performer and even at forty plus, she (like other over-forty lovelies: Salma Hayek, Elle Macpherson, Jennifer Aniston, Toni Braxton, Monica Belluci, and Halle Berry) is one of the sexiest women on the planet. She looked great on the AI stage last night and Nasty Boys, like Undo It, was a sexy and visually stunning performance. Yet another very entertaining performance from this wonderful season-ending Finale.

Paula Abdul: Beautiful, warm, sexy, friendly, funny, sweet, and engaging; it was great to see her again. I didn’t mean for it to happen; was dead set against it, but I fell in love with Ellen. May be it’s the bleeding liberal in me. I don’t know. She loves women and likes men; those are great qualities in my world. Plus, she's funny as hell. But Paula remains my favorite judge and that’s never going to change. I don’t care if she pops pills; if she momentarily slips into time wraps; I don’t care about the table dancing and crying. I enjoyed all of it. She is a cherished treasure with beautiful soul. Idol will never be the same without her. She also looked great last night.

Cristina Aguilera: Carrie and Janet lit up the AI stage but it was Cristina’s agonizing You Lost Me that stole the show and touched my soul. This was an artistic triumph. Season nine contestants would do well to watch this performance over and over; to learn how to connecting with a lyric (even if not well written). It was obvious Cristina believed and lived every word. Her pain was real, palpable, and gut-wrenching. This was an intensely emotional and personal performance that was delivered with exquisite vocal control, controlled power, and masterful passion and phrasing. In many ways it reminded me of a symphonic pop opera. One of the best guest performances I’ve ever seen on the AI stage, from a wonderful singer and a real artist. Yet another truly great performance from the season nine Finale.

Katie Stevens: The top twenty four took the stage several times last night but only one of them stood out: Katie Stevens. It pains me to say it (not a Kara fan) but she saw in Katie at first glance something that took me months to realize. This kid’s got it. She was little more than an extra last night (the night belonged to Lee and Crystal) but even in short relief of the the top two starters, she out shone them all. When the spotlight found her, my first thought was Demi Lovato; same look, same persona; same vibe. What a transformation. For the first time this season, Katie looked like a vibrant, confident, young contemporary teen pop idol. I still believe Aaron Kelly is the sure bet; a country music superstar in the making, but if season nine produces a pop star, bet on Katie. Simon and Kara argued all season (R&B or country). Time will tell but at this point, I think both got it all wrong. Katie’s future is pop music.

Here's My Annual List of Best Performances for Season Nine.

Best Performances of Season Nine (a short list; not much to pick from):

Idol Contestants
    1. Jealous Guy-----Casey James
    2. This Woman’s Work-----Michael Lynche
    3. The Boxer-----Lee Dewyze
    4. People Get Ready-----Crystal Bowersox
    5. Long As I Can See The Light-----Crystal Bowersox
    6. Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman ------Casey James (guitar solo; not the singing)

Best Guest Performances
    1. Imagine-----David Archuleta
    2. You Lost Me---Christina Aguilera
    3. Scars-----Allison Iraheta
    4. Nothing/Nasty Boys-----Janet Jackson
    5. Undo It-----Carrie Underwood

Not a lot of fun times this year but I'm keeping the faith, so see you guys next season.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 05-30-2010 at 03:33 AM.

FORT Fogey

I've heard so many times that Idol is Cowell's show, but when I look it up, from what I read, Simon Fuller is the creative genius behind the Idol franchise. I don't know who's really responsible, but it certaily has been pure entertainment for three months every year! And much of the credit for the success over the years has been due to Simon Cowell, although, I personally have felt that he wasn't there in spirit, so to speak, for eather of the past two seasons (8 & 9). I felt he detracted from the show last year and didn't contribute much positive to it this year. But, when Simon was at his best or his worst, I still looked forward to the show; bad Simon or no Simon, with or without Ellen or Kara (though I think we're stuck with both for a few years), I'll probably watch because it's just good, clean fun.
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 05-30-2010 at 09:19 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3915758;
    Biggest star to come out of this season will still be Siobhan. Give it 5 yrs. & check back with me & I'll tell you " I told you so."
    I think/hope you may be right. I also think the Bret Michaels duo didn't do anything bad for Casey. With his good looks and musicianship, I think he may be around for awhile.

All the others will take their winnings and they'll have a better head start in life than 95% of the population. I have stopped feeling sorry for the top 2 should they not make it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;3918318;
    ... And it was Simon who created this ground-breaking program; it was his creative intelligence, business acumen, and pioneering vision that nurtured it and transformed it into a prime time ratings juggernaut...
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3918423;
    I've heard so many times that Idol is Cowell's show, but when I look it up, from what I read, Simon Fuller is the creative genius behind the Idol franchise ...
    Correct. Pop Idol in the UK was Simon Fuller's original show for which he hired Simon Cowell as a judge, who was unknown to the public. He then created American Idol and brought Simon Cowell over to the Fox show. Cowell was strictly on-camera "talent" and not a producer up to Season 5. After that season Simon negotiated his current (just expired, actually) contract and at the same time, got a deal for his company SYCO to handle distribution of the performances on iTunes. In that sense, he might be considered, not a producer, but a 19E partner sharing a portion of the profits. That gave him some indirect influence on the show - but he has never directly been a producer. However the partnership plus his huge visibility plus the ongoing negotiations for a new contract gave him the power to make "suggestions" that had to be seriously considered.

But Idol is, and always will be Simon Fuller's show. Just as X-Factor is Simon Cowell's show. In the end, I think Cowell just didn't need to put up with the compromises of working on someone else's show.

+ Reply to Thread