+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 5/25 Season Finale Part 1 *Spoilers*

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: 5/25 Season Finale Part 1 *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3914870;
    Question. What the heck happened to Crystal during her entrance last night? That was strange.
    So funny you asked this as Ryan Seacrest *just* asked Crystal the same question about 20 minutes ago on his show. Apparently, during rehearsals, they were told to walk to a certain point and then once they'd gotten there, they'd be told to run the remainder. During the show, Crystal said she had so many people yelling at her that she walked past the marking then went back but then more people were yelling and she got confused as to whether she should run or not. She said it was complete mayhem.

It was a good interview with the both Crystal and Lee.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3914869;
    As for any of them being "in touch" or "out of touch" with lyrics, how do we know that? Not every song means the same to every person who hears it, or even to the person who wrote it. Just because a person looks like they're "getting it" doesn't mean they're anything other than good actors.

Acting is exactly the point. The great singers use a kind of vocal acting skill to seem like they are feeling the sentiment of a song. If you hear Jeff Buckley or Rufus Wainwright sing "Hallelujah," they evoke (like good actors) the pain, poignancy and irony of that song. When Lee sang it, it was like he was at a parade with gospel music, completely out of sync with the lyrics. His "Boxer" version is properly somber, but again, he does not project the feeling of overriding loneliness or the pain in the song. Listen to Simon and Garfunkle's version of "The Boxer" again. That's a powerful presentation of the lyrics.

---
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-26-2010 at 04:01 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3914905;
    Acting is exactly the point. The great singers use a kind of vocal acting skill to seem like they are feeling the sentiment of a song. If you hear Jeff Buckley or Rufus Wainwright sing "Hallelujah," they evoke (like good actors) the pain, poignancy and irony of that song. When Lee sang it, it was like he was at a parade with gospel music, completely out of sync with the lyrics. His "Boxer" version is properly somber, but again, he does not present the feeling of loneliness and or the pain of poverty as the Simon and Garfunkle version did.

---
    ---
    Yes, exactly! Vocal ability matters a lot to me in this competition. I think emoting is a big part of that. That is really what I liked about Jordin Sparks. She was very impressive in that regard. I don't think there were a lot of contestants with this ability this season. I think Didi had too much of it and Casey, Lee, and Crystal didn't have enough of it. It doesn't matter how much they feel they connect with the song, it is how it comes across. Mike was good at it. Andrew? nope! Aaron was proficient. Siobhan? Not for me.
    I don't think all songs call for emoting but you have to be able to do it! It is almost as important as singing on key.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3914468;
    Question for you. You're not the only one to say this, but I haven't noticed it so I have a technical question about this statement. You say he is off-key. Is he generally sharp or flat on his notes. The reason I ask is because I know from experience that I tend to hear people who are flat, but don't notice it if they are sharp. For some reason apparently sharp doesn't sound discordent to me like flat does. When he was singing his first song last night my daughter commented that he was off-tune, yet I wasn't thinking it at that time at all. She must be more gifted in that area than I.
    He's FLAT!!! Very flat, and consistently so!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3914613;
    No, no hating on the reporter. Just sad that what he was saying is true -- and I hate that people are so superficial when it comes to things like this; that they'd rather choose someone who can't sing in tune consistantly rather than pick the single mom whose back is covered in tattoos and wears her hair in dreads. That whole realization just makes me sad.
    Yeah, I don't look at people on my radio or cd player anyway. Couldn't care less if Crystal, or anyone else, were purple and had six eyeballs.

Well I don't have a problem listening or looking at either one of them.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I was very surprised that Lee came out so dull and lifeless. Crystal was spot on! I have liked them both, but was hoping for a Crystal win and that she would do well. She mopped the floor with Lee! I even voted last night. Only got a few busy signals. Is that good or bad these days?

I do think the show felt rushed and disjointed. Very odd for the final night for judging these two singers.

FORT Fogey

Just realized that the show tonight starts at 7:00 Central rather than the usual 8:00. Hope everyone is aware of the early start or has DVR set!

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3915230;
    Just realized that the show tonight starts at 7:00 Central rather than the usual 8:00. Hope everyone is aware of the early start or has DVR set!
    This isn't unusual, but it's also supposed to run over. My affiliate station at the ending set at 10:07.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Newbie

I think this show is looking for a recording artist. The downloads from I-tunes don't reflect what's been said here (negatives) about either Lee or Crystal. The live performances may, but they are very different from what goes on in the recording studio. Yes, I know they can do lots of fixes in the studio, but my point is that a great album, subjectively speaking of course, with the right promotion and radio play can make a successful career. And I think Lee's performing skills will improve during the Idol Tour where he won't be competing for the big prize, but just making music which he loves.

+ Reply to Thread