+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 5/25 Season Finale Part 1 *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/25 Season Finale Part 1 *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLuv;3914172;
    Crystal tore up the roof with her vocal prowess.

Lee peed all over the floor with his vocal prowess.
    Thank you for this! It is just the laugh I needed to start off this day!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I just heard the most depressing interview on my local radio station -- they were talking to some USA reporter who was at the finale last night and they were discussing Crystal versus Lee.

He said that Crystal had sung better but that her dreads and her being chunky might be a turn off for some people.

Then he said that the fact that Lee can't stay in tune might turn off people from him.

I could be wrong but isn't that the point of A SINGING CONTEST??? That is EXACTLY why I can't stand Lee and think while he has his moments where he's utterly fantastic, he has just as many where his out of tune singing is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It just sucks that people might have chosen him over Crystal for purely superficial reasons.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Sitting at my computer waiting for all the summer shows!

Hi all, I am sure this has been discussed but I have question. Are there any statistics concerning whether singing first or second in the finale makes a difference? Crystal chose to sing second. Do we know percentages of winners that sang first versus second? I have tried to do an online search but cant find anything.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3914299;
    I just heard the most depressing interview on my local radio station -- they were talking to some USA reporter who was at the finale last night and they were discussing Crystal versus Lee.

He said that Crystal had sung better but that her dreads and her being chunky might be a turn off for some people.

Then he said that the fact that Lee can't stay in tune might turn off people from him.

I could be wrong but isn't that the point of A SINGING CONTEST??? That is EXACTLY why I can't stand Lee and think while he has his moments where he's utterly fantastic, he has just as many where his out of tune singing is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It just sucks that people might have chosen him over Crystal for purely superficial reasons.
    Although I voted for crystal (I think she is the better and more consistant one left), Ishe does not have what the general populus is looking for, nothing "marketable". Lee has the "marketable" factor...Kara was right when she said Lee was "commerical", decent enough voice, likeable, good looking enough...that is unfortunately part and parcle of what the voting is about. It is a sound, a look, that everyone is use too. Lee will win. Crystal deserves the win because she was tru to herself, did not "give in" to the stylists, or nay sayers about her teeth, or her hair (although these will ultimately be her downfall)...unfortunatley when you are in the "industry" looks DO matter, and Crystal seems to not want to conceded on that matter.

As stated above I think Lee will win, and Crystal will get a life changing event even coming in as number 2..I think Crystal will be content with #2, she will still get recognition and "better gigs" without some of the "hoopla" that she seems to be leary of. Lee on the other hand has nothing to loose by getting swallowed into the jaws of the industry, he doesn't seem to know who he is so they will be able to mold him like putty (and introduce him to the "auto tuner") he has the look that is current and will fade as soon as the public tires of his "type".

Heres to Crystal!... although I wasn't a fan of your first two song choices..."You rocked it out!".."You were up for the challenge of the final"..and you were by far the better of the final two contestants .

Lee will win. Its sad to say but looks do matter when it comes to voting... And Crystal has a look along with the dreads, and that lightpost or whatever that thing is that she sings with, that the modern middle America probably wont vote for....She is amazing, but Lee will win American Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl;3914319;
    Lee will win. Its sad to say but looks do matter when it comes to voting... And Crystal has a look along with the dreads, and that lightpost or whatever that thing is that she sings with, that the modern middle America probably wont vote for....She is amazing, but Lee will win American Idol.
    I like them both adn like Lee a bit more sing he is my hometown guy! I think he might just win this. Crystal was outstanding, she is mad talented... I just wonder if the majority of the people who watch this show are ready for someone like her. I would listen to her, but does she have widespread marketability as Lee does? I don't know.

I hated both of Simon Fuller's picks for them. This was the best he could do? The should have let Simon Cowell choose, he does better.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3914299;
    ...He said that Crystal had sung better but that her dreads and her being chunky might be a turn off for some people. Then he said that the fact that Lee can't stay in tune might turn off people from him...
    Don't hate on your reporter; s/he is just reporting what's out there. I said pretty much the same thing the other day in the Crystal / Lee Matchup thread. Also, yesterday we started discussing the disconnect of hearing the Crystal diss coming from women who would never in a million years want to themselves be judged by that standard (over in the Crystal Thread). Feel free to chime in to those discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by ncarolinanana;3914301;
    Hi all, I am sure this has been discussed but I have question. Are there any statistics concerning whether singing first or second in the finale makes a difference? Crystal chose to sing second. Do we know percentages of winners that sang first versus second? I have tried to do an online search but cant find anything.
    Why, yes! I was curious about that myself and happen to have those statistics at my fingertips (thanks to What Not to Sing for their meticulous record keeping!)

In 8 seasons, the person who has sung second has won 6 times. Impressive! But is the reason they won BECAUSE they sang second? ("Correlation does not imply causation", if I remember my college statistics class correctly.)

So, some more figures (performance scores are based on WNTS research and available in the database on their site):
    • Contestants who performed second and won (remember, there are six total), but also outperformed their competition at the finale: 3 (Kelly, Fantasia, and Taylor) So, these people had a good reason to win anyway.
    • Contestants who performed second and won, but outperformed their competition over the season as a whole: 4 (Kelly, Fantasia, Taylor, Jordin) These people also may have won anyway if people voted on who they liked over the whole season instead of just the finale performances.
    • Contestants who performed second and won, but tied the competition in the finale (there was no clear performance winner): 1 (Jordin)
    • Contestants who performed second and won, and did NOT outperform the competition at the finale and did not score higher in the season as a whole: 2 (Carrie, Kris)

Those last two may be the strongest argument for going last in the finale, but I'm sure that I would be whacked by a certain Arkansas native (hopefully Razorbacker is still asleep) for even positing that Carrie and Kris won because they performed second on the last show. Everyone who lived through those two seasons knows that there was a strong competition and a whole lot of factors going on.

So, I guess if I won the coin toss, I would probably choose to go second. But if I won, I don't think I'd want to have to attribute my success to that factor.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 05-26-2010 at 09:07 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl;3914319;
    Lee will win. Its sad to say but looks do matter when it comes to voting... And Crystal has a look along with the dreads....
    You're not suggesting anything that I haven't heard before, but as I recall, Jason Castro had a head full of dreads in Season 7, and I never heard about "dirty hair"; just a lot about his "dreamy blue eyes".

Double standard?

Sitting at my computer waiting for all the summer shows!

Thanks so much TopCatDC!!!! It was driving me crazy trying to find the stats. I totally agree that I wouldnt like to think I won just because I went second, but there is something to be said for being the last performance of the night...its what people remember the best! And 6/8 winners being the second singer in the finale might just be more than coincidence. I knew someone here would have my answer, FORTs know EVERYTHING!!!! Thanks again!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3914334;
    You're not suggesting anything that I haven't heard before, but as I recall, Jason Castro had a head full of dreads in Season 7, and I never heard about "dirty hair"; just a lot about his "dreamy blue eyes".

Double standard?
    Perhaps, it also shows that alot of the AI viewers are women. Amongst my friends, not one guy is watching the show.... some even mock it. Most of my female friends do and have in the past.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread