+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 5/25 Season Finale Part 1 *Spoilers*

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Re: 5/25 Season Finale Part 1 *Spoilers*

I'm not able to vote since I'm in Canada, but I would really like to vote for Crystal. She is a true artist. I hope she wins.

FORT Newbie

Funny she chose to sing Janis song. My votes now go to Lee, as Crystal just labled herself a Janis copy for me for good.
    GO LEE!

I was disappointed in Lee tonight, I think his nerves got the better of him. I'm afraid he may have handed Crystal the title, even though he's the better singer.

FORT Fogey

For the past two years, we've had nail-biting finales. Who would win? Cook had the better season, but Archuleta owned the night. Adam was the break-out star, but Kris hit back with one smart arrangement after another.

Tonight looks very different. Here's what I saw (with letter grades for each song):

Lee Dewyze B
    “The Boxer” by Simon and Garfunkle
    "Lee was a very energetic child", says his parents. Wow - that's a surprise.
    The Boxer was one of the better performances on Inspirational Week - but not the best. This reprise showed how much Lee has grown in his confidence and ease in front of the crowd. But even so, it was something of an odd choice to start so low-key when he knew he was opening the show and that he had another ballad coming up in the second slot. Why not A Little Less Conversation from the Elvis show? The Boxer was a solid number, but right off the bat he left the door open for Crystal shake things up with something less sleepy.

Crystal Bowersox A -
    “Me And Bobby McGhee” by Kris Kristofferson
    First, Crystal looked great in that coat-dress and funky beads. Very hip, yet put together. And Crystal did great with this song, as she did originally when she was the only thing worth watching during Teen Idol Billboard #1 Hits Week. This song feels completely authentic on her. And the fact that it ends with the raucous chorus raises her performance level well above Lee's.

Lee DeWyze B+
    “Everybody Hurts” by REM
    Love the tan leather jacket, but the untucked white tee shirt hanging out looks dopey from the back. This songs kicks it up a level for Lee. He's got a chorus behind him; he's a lot more passionate here. Unfortunately, the song has a lot of held notes, and Lee just doesn't sound so good in those parts. In other songs he has opted to do some vocal rifs instead of sustaining a long note, but here he does the song as written and wavers around a bit at the end.

Crystal Bowersox A
    “Black Velvet” by Alannah Myles
    Crystal wisely puts aside the guitar, and gives us the R&B chanteuse in a black ruffled satin dress and high heels. As she come down the stairs, singing, we sense she's not quite sure about all this - maybe the stairs plus the heels was one upgrade too many. But she rips into the song with gusto. We some great bluesy fuzz guitar alongside her own vocal riffs. This is definitely a highlight.

Lee DeWyze B+
    “Beautiful Day” by U2
    Jeans? Again? Seriously, Lee, these look like rehearsal clothes. This is a nice cover, but really, nothing all that special here. Lee does, handle those high held notes better here than on Everybody Hurts. I'll tell you what bugs me a bit, and maybe I've just got the U2 original on the brain, but there is a real heaviness here in Lee's version, like he's weighted down somehow. I think that just might be Lee's melancholy personality - but it's not a good fit for this song which should be, somehow, more buoyant. The song should fly, but with Lee it's very grounded.

Crystal Bowersox A
    “Up To the Mountain” by Patti Griffin
    Beautiful lighting design on this, bathing Crystal in a golden back halo, (and who is wearing diamonds!) And Lee's Hallejujah chorus from last week joins Crystal on stage. How about this song choice - it's either very dumb picking a less known song because people may not vote for her, or it's very smart because as a first single it will become associated Crystal. Regardless, it's a somewhat quiet, but intense gospel-like song. This will probably split the audience. Some will find the beauty and layers in it. Others will be bored and tune out. Kind of a gutsy choice to go out on.

Crystal just sand her first song on the West coast. I hated it. It was so just typically her being on auto pilot. Lame. It was also a bit screechy, if I'm being honest. I would become very bored if I had to hear her sing over and over all in a row. (As in, on a cd.)

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hypnoboy;3914054;
    Crystal just sand her first song on the West coast. I hated it. It was so just typically her being on auto pilot. Lame. It was also a bit screechy, if I'm being honest. I would become very bored if I had to hear her sing over and over all in a row. (As in, on a cd.)
    totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by abbiebrock;3914040;
    Funny she chose to sing Janis song. My votes now go to Lee, as Crystal just labled herself a Janis copy for me for good.
    GO LEE!
    Exactly. Dead on comment.

Oh Abbie... we're Idol Soul Mates!!

Crystal, second song. El-Stinko. She tried to save it with some long, high notes, but as a Canadian who knew that song WAY before it ever hit the States done by Alannah Myles, that was just awful. It was like they tried to make it a hard rock song. There was no more soul. Go back and listen to the original if you don't agree. Oh, and she was so physically unbalanced at the start that I thought she might fall down the stairs. Yikes. She's not impressing me tonight at all.

FORT Fogey

The Boxer and Everybody hurts were both really weak. Bobby McGee was odd for me and Black Velvet was a shrieking mess! I cannot wait for tomorrow when this competition ends! On to season 10!

+ Reply to Thread