+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Season Nine - Let's Look Back

Re: Season Nine - Let's Look Back

I think this season was no worse than last season. Last season was kind of blah for me, especially after Allison got booted.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

This year is boring and in any other season, the finalist would have never made it as far as they have. It's only because this season is so bereft in talent that they seem so great, they aren't. When compared to those that came before them in other seasons? They aren't good at all.

Last season was exciting! People chose sides, they battled and argued and things got heated the further the season went with those pulling for Adam and those pulling for Kris. Very few were saying "Meh, don't care which wins." Like they are this season. I miss that, at the time it was annoying me but comparing that to the almost universal disinterest there is now? I'd much rather have last season all over again.

I don't know what was so off about this season but it just didn't work, Randy booing every time Simon's name was called, Ryan's nasty barbs at Simon, the contestants constantly talking back to the judges, Kara and her nonsensical comments.....it just didn't work, none of it and the worst thing was Ellen (I was so excited to have her join the panel but she's useless and adds nothing to the dynamics of the group, actually may detract from it).

Bring on next season, let's get this over with and tuck it away forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3912889;
    I don't know what was so off about this season but it just didn't work, Randy booing every time Simon's name was called, Ryan's nasty barbs at Simon, the contestants constantly talking back to the judges, Kara and her nonsensical comments.....it just didn't work, none of it and the worst thing was Ellen (I was so excited to have her join the panel but she's useless and adds nothing to the dynamics of the group, actually may detract from it)..
    Randy has booed Simon every season. Its always been irritating.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3913076;
    I know, it's really bothering me more this season and it's ALL I hear during the intros. Randy going BOOO BOOO and it makes me grit my teeth where before I barely noticed it.

Well, I agree with those who say there isn't much excitement in terms of the competition this year. I think Crystal is wonderful, but I'm not tearing my hair out about who wins. I'll buy her album whether she wins or not.

But musically, I would have to say this is the best year ever for the show. There have never been so many talented folks to reach the AI stage: Crystal, Casey, Mike, Siobhan, Alex Lambert, Lilly Scott and Katie all brought musical strengths and personality to the mix. Crystal is the best overall talent ever on AI, with her gorgeous voice, intimate phrasing and fine instrumental skills. And I had a lot of fun watching Casey show off his guitar skills and bring his particular blue-eyed soul to the stage. Although, we said goodbye to Alex and Lilly way to soon.

As usual, the judges were terrible, giving inane comments and doing a lot of play-acting among themselves that I'm sure the producers orchestrated. Kara was terrible, as always, bobbing her head, jabbing her finger and trying to sound dramatic with her comments. They only need three judges for the chemistry of the show. I'll be much happier about watching the show next year if they replace both Kara and Simon.
    --

--
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Let's not look back. Do we have to? Alright ...

This is possibly the worst batch of idols we've had.
    There were a lot of horrible semi-finalists. Many of them were eliminated. My only problem with those who were eliminated is that they had more potential than some that were not. For example, Todrick and Jermaine were hot messes but their voices were good. They just did too much and made a good instrument sound bad. Tim was a hot mess and his voice was terrible. He couldn't keep up with the other mediocre contestants. Also, we had a lot of contestants like Crystal, Casey, Andrew, and Didi (among others) who just did not improve. I wish we could switch some of those guys out!

Mike is the most underrated by the public. I can't say that the judges underrated anyone this season. They overpraised most of them. Except Simon would find strange ways to put down Aaron and Mike and a few of the others. It seemed like he did that for no good reason. Lee was overpraised. He just isn't good. He's better now than he was before but he's been given awesome comments since the beginning.
    The theme weeks don't matter anymore because the contestants usually pick a song that is in their comfort zone or they change the song so that it fits them like a glove. What's the point of them anymore?

I've said it before: I like Randy Jackson on the judges panel. I think they need to keep him and lose the others. Even though we don't understand what he's saying half the time, he is the least biased and most honest judge we have left. Ellen has no business being on the show. She is rarely funny and is only there for cross-promotion purposes. The only good thing Kara has done is that duet with bikini girl. That still has me in stitches.
    Great talent was eliminated even before the final cut. Remember Jermaine Purifoy? HE was cut instead of Jermaine Sellers! Haeley Vaughn over Angela Martin? What were they thinking? A lot of bad decisions were made this season. I can't completely blame the judges since I think the producers had a lot to do with it. They were the ones who brought back Tim Urban...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3913173;
    ...Remember Jermaine Purifoy? HE was cut instead of Jermaine Sellers! Haeley Vaughn over Angela Martin? What were they thinking? ...
    I raise a glass in memory of Purifoy and Martin.

To think that they could have easily brought Jermaine back over Tim... how different the season might have been. Especially as Idol has a poor history of sending black men deep into the competition.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3913186;
    I raise a glass in memory of Purifoy and Martin.

To think that they could have easily brought Jermaine back over Tim... how different the season might have been. Especially as Idol has a poor history of sending black men deep into the competition.
    They could not bring Purifoy back. He was cut in rooms! He didn't make it to the final judgment! Can you believe that? I think they cut the wrong Jermaine by mistake.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3913076;
    I've been ready to "boo" Simon myself almost every week this season. Randy doesn't bother me. That's part of their shtick. And Randy seems more impartial than some of the others - if he has a favorite, he at least has the professionalism to critique and not pimp. I appreciate that.

But while I'm on the subject of judges, I'll say this about Kara. I really liked her last year and thought she was a breath of fresh (and uncharacteristically knowledgeable) air - but that must have been just by comparison to Paula, because this year she has struck me as obnoxious and annoying. Maybe it is her failed attempt to repackage herself as sexy, which just doesn't work - in appearance or in her interactions with Simon. Yuck.
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 05-25-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3913103;
    I know, it's really bothering me more this season and it's ALL I hear during the intros. Randy going BOOO BOOO and it makes me grit my teeth where before I barely noticed it.
    I've always noticed it. Its always bugged me. The same way it bugs me when they all start talking and shouting over what Simon is trying to say. I guess they think its cute or something, but it grates on me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast