+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Lee vs. Crystal Matchup

FORT Fogey

The Lee vs. Crystal Matchup

While it's not exactly Adam vs. Kris or David vs. David, I have to admit that this pairing is coming out a lot closer than I would have imagined a couple of weeks ago. (Conspiracy theorists may say that is by design.)

So how do you think this is going to shake out? How do you want it to end?

Here's my handicapping:

Lee Dewyze
    Pro
    :
    • He's got the raspy John Mayer / Bruce Springsteen vocal quality
    • Cute guy with a guitar
    • Come-from-behind, most-improved, underdog story arc
    • Sensitive guy; he cries

Con:
    • Some people HATE his voice; this limits his potential to woo large numbers of casual voters (See Lambert, Adam)
    • Little facial expression; personality; excitement
    • Detractors perceive "pimping" from producers; could produce backlash (See Archuleta, David)

Crystal Bowersox
    Pro:
    • Strong blues/rock Bonnie Raitt type voice; more of an "Idol" voice than Lee
    • Consistently excellent performances throughout the season
    • Even if they aren't wild about her, most people like her voice
    • After Lee's Hallelujah, she may be stealing a bit of the "underdog" role.

Con:
    • Some people are turned off by the way she looks; dreads, piercings, etc.
    • Some people are turned off by her attitude: entitled, not invested in Idol
    • Her best performances were earlier in the season; she peaked too soon
    • Detractors perceive "pimping" from judges throughout season

Who do you think is going to take the prize on Wednesday?

Re: The Lee vs. Crystal Matchup

Who do YOU think is going to win?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3910680;
    Who do YOU think is going to win?
    Rats! I thought I was going to get away without answering that question!

Lee has fans and Crystal has fans. I think the contest will be decided by the casual voters - which means that the performances Tuesday night will play a large part.

But, the next largest consideration, I think, is what happens with the negative factors. Who has the easier task? Lee convincing non-fans that he can really sing, or Crystal persuading non-fans that she is likable?

I think Crystal's obstacle may be easier to overcome with a killer performance. But then, we're back to speculating what will happen on Tuesday.

FORT Fan

We know the winner will get a million dollars. But what does the Runner Up get? A hefty sum at least, I hope.

Crystal has not given a killer performance in weeks and has been coming off as if she thinks she has it in the bag for a while now while Lee has maintained his golly-gee you like me, you really like me persona.

At the beginning of the season I would have said Crystal hands down, now I'm not so sure. I don't like many things about both of them and think they both are about as phony as they come and are both very skilled at playing to the voting audience but I also think there are things to like about both of them.

*shrugs* do I care which wins? Not at all since I won't be buying anything from either one of them, I've lost any interest in them a few weeks ago.

I think Lee will win. I don't think Crystal will be able to overcome the negative attitude that many are "seeing". For the reasons you stated plus (peaked too early, Lee is cuter, etc), Simon seems to be solidly in his corner and I think that may carry some weight with the voters.

I did find the musical genres of the final three interesting because they are almost interchangeable in what slot they can be stuck into.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I think Lee will win. It was obvious a couple of weeks ago when it was said for the 2nd time that "I could hear you on the radio" Lee is more radio-friendly, and that is what Idol is looking for.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I think Lee will win, not that it matters one little bit. One is a male coffee shop crooner with a guitar the other one is a female coffee shop crooner with a guitar. Toss a coin!!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by felix;3910703;
    We know the winner will get a million dollars. But what does the Runner Up get? A hefty sum at least, I hope.
    As far as I know, there is no cash prize for Idol. I think you may be remembering articles that mention that an Idol winner often earns about a million in their first year after the show. But that's adding up payment for services rendered (the show, the tour, media appearances) plus royalties and advances on recording projects. There is a discussion in the AI Media thread that quotes a NY Times article with details from the contract.

I know that both Cook and Archuleta earned well over that much money their first year (I think Cook earned closer to 2 million). I would imagine that Adam and Kris are currently on a similar path.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I'd love to see Crystal win but I'm afraid it'll be an uphill battle as Lee may seem more likeable (regardless of his many off-key performances). Bottom line, America is fickle so it's anyone's game. Hopefully, they both bring their A game and have the perfect songs lined up. I'd love to see a competition like last year's where both were fantastic and it was anyone's game.

Regardless of who wins, I can't wait to hear their first singles and see where they're going in their musical choices. I'm sure I'll be buying singles (at least) from both of them.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Fan

Lee will win because he's a good looking male and text messaging has given the attractive guy an overwhelming edge in voting demographics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast