+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Lee vs. Crystal Matchup

Re: The Lee vs. Crystal Matchup

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3916249;
    Everyone who adores her singing, likes her personality just fine.
    ==
    Not everyone.

While I didn't think her singing was outstanding, Crystal has a much better voice than Lee and I didn't find her singing bad just unexciting and boring. AT the very least, she was rarely out of tune unlike Lee. What I had a problem with was her arrogance, the way she constantly had to open her trap to mouth back at the judges was a huge eyeroll and the last straw was her obnoxious sucking up to Simon on F2 night. That stuff could have been done in private just fine so I found the move manipulative.

That said, I never had any intention to vote and didn't. Crystal may have an off-putting personality but while Lee is bland and likable enough they're both equally boring and pedestrian. Neither was worth a vote.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I didn't even bother to vote in the prediction game yesterday, as there was no doubt in my mind that Lee was going to win.
    This is a popularity contest, pure and simple.
    People liked Lee's rags to riches story and his "aw, shucks" type of attitude. They also thought he was good looking.
    They saw Crystal as a dirty little hippie chick in need of a bath, new teeth, more growth, less "attitude", better fashion sense, a better hairstyle and more humility. They also felt that she threw temper tantrums and really did not "want to win" AI.
    Well, she didn't win , and it looks like a lot of people got their wish.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

The best vocals one, pure and simple. No matter how you want to slice and dice it. Lee got better and better each and every performance. America saw this growth, and it was impressive. He's a humble sweet kid, too. That certainly doesn't hurt.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3916733;
    The best vocals one, pure and simple. No matter how you want to slice and dice it. Lee got better and better each and every performance. America saw this growth, and it was impressive. He's a humble sweet kid, too. That certainly doesn't hurt.
    I appreciate his growth on the show. It is a growth for where he started. But if you take away the grand arrangements and bagpiper gimmickry there really wasn't much growth vocally. Lee's confidence level had growth, but the vocal ability not so much. Probably it never will grow. He is 24 years old. If he is not a good technician by now, I don't think he will ever be.

FORT Fogey

Congrats to both Lee and Crystal on fighting through a strange season all the way to the end! Although I didn't vote for Lee and was surprised by his ultimate win, I have to say that I really liked the guy early on, so I know he appeals to people and has lots of potential. (And congrats to his fans who saw him through to victory!) Crystal, too, for whatever shortcomings people may find in her, is very talented and obviously more committed to this whole process than many thought. I'm certain that both will be very successful, as have, I think, all previous Top 2 - while some would argue that it's album sales, others that it's about selling out stadiums, etc., I think it's just getting out there and being able to earn a living at what you love, and earning fans and support all along the way.

It's been a fun - and weird - season, and whatever next year brings,...well, at least it will be different! And experiencing it here, in spite of all the disagreements, occasional outrage, and inexplicable love for some of these crazy contestants, makes all the more enjoyable. Thank you, FORT staff, for making this a great place to enjoy the spectacle!
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 05-28-2010 at 08:00 AM.

I personally like Lee's voice better, it's different and will only get better imo. I do like Crystal but her singing voice is no different than other's. While Lee's voice has so much potential.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLuv;3916873;
    I appreciate his growth on the show. It is a growth for where he started. But if you take away the grand arrangements and bagpiper gimmickry there really wasn't much growth vocally. Lee's confidence level had growth, but the vocal ability not so much. Probably it never will grow. He is 24 years old. If he is not a good technician by now, I don't think he will ever be.
    I disagree. I heard Lee improve each and every performance, vocally.
    Crystal was good vocally, but she has one style, that Janis Joplin type style. Lee is still "workable" with his vocals. This is what Idol wanted.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3917001;
    I disagree. I heard Lee improve each and every performance, vocally.
    Crystal was good vocally, but she has one style, that Janis Joplin type style. Lee is still "workable" with his vocals. This is what Idol wanted.
    Actually, Lee did not improve vocally over the season, he got worse. In the early weeks, he was reasonably in tune and somewhat intimate with the lyrics. And I loved his voice. But by the middle of the season, he was so consistently off-key that I covered my ears, wincing. And Lee also shouted his way through songs whose lyrics required more sensitivity.

Crystal, on the other hand, has a brilliant voice and can interpret any song with intelligence and heart.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3917029;
    Actually, Lee did not improve vocally over the season, he got worse. In the early weeks, he was reasonably in tune and somewhat intimate with the lyrics. And I loved his voice. But by the middle of the season, he was so consistently off-key that I covered my ears, wincing. And Lee also shouted his way through songs whose lyrics required more sensitivity.
    And Crystal, on the other hand, has a brilliant voice and can interpret any song with intelligence and heart.
    --
    --
    It's funny, because that is exactly what my dh and I both said about Crystal. Got TIRED of her turning the end of songs into yelling and wailing. To each his own, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3916400;
    Not everyone.

What I had a problem with was Crystal's arrogance, the way she constantly had to open her trap to mouth back at the judges was a huge eyeroll and the last straw was her obnoxious sucking up to Simon on F2 night. That stuff could have been done in private just fine so I found the move manipulative.
    To each his own. I think Crystal was gracious with the judges and made thoughtful responses to their comments. She also seems like a warm, caring individual. I found her confidence inspiring.

Just curious, which contestant this year do you think had the best personality? Who reacted to the judges in the most appropriate way, in your opinion?

===
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-28-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast