+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Lee vs. Crystal Matchup

FORT Fogey

Re: The Lee vs. Crystal Matchup

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3915938;
    Hey TopCatDC, I'm not sure, but I wasn't really surprised at the outcome. I think that many of the viewers are young girls and they want someone to gush over and get all excited. You can't really do that with a girl contestant so Lee was ordained the winner by default...
    You make a good point about the tastes of teenage girls.

However one of the very few things we know for sure about Idol is who watches the program. The ratings are broken down into age groups for advertisers. Idol has very low under 18 numbers. Every year the show has been on the air, the audience has skewed older and older. In short, teenagers don't watch Idol, their parents do.

However some do watch and some do vote. But they are far, far outnumbered by their parents.

My guess is that we are not looking at the decisions of a lot of teen girls here. I don't think that we can avoid the actual primary demographic of the show, which is adult women.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3915961;
    You make a good point about the tastes of teenage girls.

However one of the very few things we know for sure about Idol is who watches the program. The ratings are broken down into age groups for advertisers. Idol has very low under 18 numbers. Every year the show has been on the air, the audience has skewed older and older. In short, teenagers don't watch Idol, their parents do.

However some do watch and some do vote. But they are far, far outnumbered by their parents.

My guess is that we are not looking at the decisions of a lot of teen girls here. I don't think that we can avoid the actual primary demographic of the show, which is adult women.
    How do you know the age of the majority of viewers? Is it published? I'm not disagreeing, just curious. The reason I find that strange is that I find it difficult to believe that adult women would spend hours voting on a singing contest that features teen and 20 year -olds. Not that there's anything wong with that, but most moms that I know are doing laundry, bathing kids, and checking homework when Idol is on. LOL

OH, CORRECTION on my post upthead, it's too late to Edit it. I think the handsome young man is named Justin, not Brian, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3915935;
    However, riddle me this: If we drop Lee into a contest with him and David Cook, Adam Lambert, David Archuleta, and Kris Allen - how many Lee fans would stick with him? I suspect, many would jump ship for another recent Idol finalist, if they had been given another alternative. That's is why I think the contest was decided more on Crystal's strong negatives, rather than Lee's overwhelming positives.

What do you think happened?
    The same could be and has been said about Crystal. When stacked up against some of the better contestants from past seasons, this final three would have been eliminated a long time ago.

What do I think happened?

Crystal is not likable, Lee is. Just because she has a rabid fan base on some forums doesn't mean the viewers at home are/were feeling her.

I wasn't but I wasn't feeling Lee or Casey either *shrugs*.

I think when faced with unlikable against sings off key at times but has a "gollygee" personality, the golly gee will win over the viewers every time (see last season as another example although I DID prefer Kris, I didn't expect him to win).

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3915979;
    ...The reason I find that strange is that I find it difficult to believe that adult women would spend hours voting on a singing contest that features teen and 20 year -olds. Not that there's anything wong with that, but most moms that I know are doing laundry, bathing kids, and checking homework when Idol is on...
    Precisely, I know this working mom is too busy to even get the chance to watch a show live much less spend time voting. I do believe it's been unequivocally proven that there is no mythical voting block (be it the cougars or the tweens with their mad texting skills).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3916004;
    What do I think happened? Crystal is not likable, Lee is.
    I think we are saying exactly the same thing. You just did it in a lot fewer words than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3916016;
    I think we are saying exactly the same thing. You just did it in a lot fewer words than I did.
    As far as Crystal not being likable. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I never liked Lee AT ALL while some adored him. In fact he was so troubled looking and distracted, that I found it annoying. Add that to problemmatic vocals and I would have not considered Lee to be in the top 6 even. I guess it's just how the viewer perceives it.

I wonder who Simon would rather pick to produce a CD for? I guess they can do wonders with Lee vocally in the studio. That will be helpful and perhaps he can grow accustomed to performring on their group tour. He'll have his friends there to encourage him and a chance to loosen up.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3916004;
    Crystal is not likable, Lee is. Just because she has a rabid fan base on some forums doesn't mean the viewers at home are/were feeling her.
    If Crystal was so "unlikeable," how did she end up being the top frontrunner for weeks (per Dialidol) and make it to the Top 2? It's inconceiveable that she would have done that well without a lot of people liking her personality.

By the way, I find Lee's continual mopey personality not particularly "likeable" either. Will he ditch the fragile "sad-sack" personna when he starts touring?
    ==
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-27-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3916088;
    If Crystal was so "unlikeable," how did she end up being the top frontrunner for weeks (per Dialidol) and make it to the Top 2? It's inconceiveable that she would have done that well without a lot of people liking her personality.

By the way, I find Lee's continual mopey personality not particularly "likeable" either. Will he ditch the fragile "sad-sack" personna when he starts touring?
    ==
    For the record, I do not like either one of them. As I said in my post in another thread, I liked others more.

Crystal is unlikeable and she wound up in the top 2 for the same reasons Lee did, because the good ones were booted early and there was nothing else left. (And I don't trust DialIdol or their results because there so many variables/factors that they do not account for, if Crystal was so hugely popular....then how did Lee win?)

I do not see any from the top 3 having any sort of big musical future, they will have small careers at best because they are either boring, utterly unlikeable, or untalented.

I'd say bring on next season because this one was that dreadful but I'm not sure I even care about next season. The last two have soured me so thoroughly on this show.

@ TopCatDC yes but you always say things so much better than I do! I wish I was half as eloquent as you are.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3916088;
    If Crystal was so "unlikeable," how did she end up being the top frontrunner for weeks (per Dialidol) and make it to the Top 2? It's inconceivable that she would have done that well without a lot of people liking her personality.
    Of course, you are right. The thing is no one "is" unlikeable - as if that was some intrinsic part of their personality. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Fact: Some people love Crystal and find her not only likable, but downright inspirational.

Fact: Some people can't stand Crystal and find her arrogant, unattractive, and/or defensive.

When there are lots of contestants from which to choose, Fact #2 doesn't hurt Crystal as long as there are lots of people in the Fact #1 group voting.

In the finale, when there are only two choices, Fact #2 comes back to bite you. If there is a significant segment of the voters who will never consider voting for you, no matter how well you perform, then you have hit a voter "glass ceiling".

I think that's what happened to Crystal. A portion of the viewers weren't even watching her (except where they could find fault). On the contrary, they couldn't take their eyes off Lee. If he succeeded, they cheered. If he faltered, they were there to prove their support by rushing to the phones.

To restate what Harmony2000 said in a different way: They wanted Lee; they didn't want Crystal. End of story.

I will repeat what someone said to me when I was going through a tough breakup:

"Sometimes the glass slipper just doesn't fit."

This isn't a referendum on Crystal, her career, or worth as a human being. Neither does it affirm that Lee is greatest entertainer ever. The vote just says what the audience wanted at this particular time.

I don't know if it comes down to personality. Although, Crystal did rub some people the wrong way and that may have played a role. For me, it was the same scenario as last season. I didn't like either but one had a voice that made me cringe and the other was just completely forgettable. So I voted for the one who was less offensive to my ears and that happened to be the dude who was always out of tune. I wasn't sure I was actually going to vote this finale. But the Bobby McGee shriekfest convinced me to pick up the phone for Lee. I just didn't want to have to hear anymore of it. That's why I voted for Kris last year too. I voted for the full 4 hours last year. I voted maybe an 2 hours or less this year. I didn't care as much.
    FIERCE avatar by antm10wordpress!
    In your face TYRA!

I just don't see any evidence of Crystal losing this contest because millions of viewers disliked her personality. Yes, there are people who say they don't like Crystal, but few or none of those people love her singing. Everyone who adores her singing, likes her personality just fine. This happens every AI season. Last year, people who loved Adam's voice and didn't like Chris's singing said Chris was aloof, not likeable. Ruben, the sweetest guy in the world, was called unlikeable over and over by Clay fans I knew. On the other hand, folks who loved Ruben's singing, loved his personality. Folks who couldn't stand Taylor's singing, said he was an arrogant show-off. Folks who loved Taylor's performing thought he was a great guy.

My point is, that you either love how someone sings or you don't. And often, once you have made your vocal choice, you see all kinds of personality flaws in your hero's competitor, whose singing you're not so crazy about.

I'll take myself as an example. I hate Lee's singing, so I really have disdain for his sad puppy-dog looks and tearful attitude. If I adored Lee's singing, I'm sure I would find his personality charming and innocent.

So, I am convinced that people voted for Lee because they preferred his voice and singing (much to my puzzlement), not that they hated Crystal the woman.
    ==
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-27-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast