+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Lee vs. Crystal Matchup

FORT Fogey

Re: The Lee vs. Crystal Matchup

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3913257;
    I respectfully disagree with any comparison of Season 9 to Season 8...or to Season 7, for that matter. There is no comparison, and while I know Lee is very likable, he just does not possess the talent of last years Top 2. (Not to say that he can't still improve from where he is now - I'm sure he can - but he doesn't have their musical ability.)
    Well, then you don't disagree because I think this season is quite talentless as well. Its just that Lee is a poor man's David Cook. I didn't mean to imply that they were on the same level.

FORT Fogey

Standing by my previous reasoning that the casual voters would get to decide this contest, I see a Crystal win tonight. She made the better impression, which gives her a larger share of the casual votes. The fans on both sides I'm sure voted like crazy, but I think the scales are going to tip in such a way as to actually give the producers their "Girl's Year". So, even though Simon has been pushing Lee like crazy the last few weeks, he will be able to point to his original prediction for a female winner and declare victory. And they'll all live happily ever after - even Lee who I'm sure will get a record of his own arriving around Thanksgiving.

FORT Fogey

I think casual voters will have less of an impact tonight since it is the hardcore fans that will be staying up for 4 hours and power texting.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3914243;
    I think casual voters will have less of an impact tonight since it is the hardcore fans that will be staying up for 4 hours and power texting.
    Hardcore fans and power texters? Oh, that's so 2009!

Well, we'll see! No matter what we say we have a 50-50 chance of being right. And, yeah, the sooner we can get this pitiful season behind us, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3913273;
    Well, then you don't disagree because I think this season is quite talentless as well. Its just that Lee is a poor man's David Cook. I didn't mean to imply that they were on the same level.
    No comparison between Lee and David Cook. Even though I like Lee, David Cook is still my all time favorite Idol contestant, and nobody has ever matched him in my opinion.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3914247;

Well, we'll see! No matter what we say we have a 50-50 chance of being right. And, yeah, the sooner we can get this pitiful season behind us, the better.
    Yeah that!! I'm so mad that I let myself miss NCIS for this! When will I ever learn?

This has been let-down week for me on "reality" shows...first DWTS now Idol. I think I just watched my last AI show..without Simon it will never be the same. /cry

I knew Lee would win. Yes, looks do matter. This is not a singing competition, this is a popularity contest and the sooner we all realize that...the happier we will all be.

I didn't care either way which one won, Siobhan was my favorite and when she completely lost her way? I lost interest in this season. I think they let all the ones I would have had a vested interest in go early in the season or didn't even put them through (Alex, Lily, Kaitlyn, Jose, Todrick -- yes, I did list Todrick, he should have been allowed to stick around to see him grow because he had the talent, just had to figure out the TV presence).

I doubt I will watch next season unless they get somebody amazing with spot-on credentials to replace Simon (or Hasselhoff) because I'm afraid of what Kara, Randy, and Ellen will do without him guiding them. Hate or love Simon, there is no denying that he KNOWS what makes a star. He will be missed, the show won't be the same without him and I venture to guess it will be unwatchable.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3914234;
    Standing by my previous reasoning that the casual voters would get to decide this contest, I see a Crystal win tonight.
    Well, I got it wrong. The question now is, what happened? I think I have an idea. (See the link above for my assessment of the race posted at the top of the thread.)

Most of the analysis was sound. It was a tight race and each contestant had positives and negatives. The negatives were going to play a major factor. They were:
    • Crystal - some didn't like her looks and/or personality
    • Lee - Some heard a lot of off-key singing

I reasoned that in a head to head match-up, if Crystal could pull off a superior night of singing, that it would be easier to convince her critics to support a less likable good singer. Lee would have the harder time moving votes to a more likeable poorer singer.

Crystal who?
    Well, the people have spoken and it's on that last point where I think my prediction went off the rails. From the comments I have read here and across the Internet, I have come to the following preliminary conclusion:

For many people, Crystal wasn't even in the running. She didn't exist. She was not a viable alternative. They had written her off weeks ago as unlikeable, and it didn't matter what she did performance-wise, they were looking for an alternate candidate, and they found that in Lee.

There are always a lot of factors that go into making people decide who to vote for in Idol: Looks, likeability, back story, do they "need" the votes, etc. . Those "secondary" factors turn out to be much stronger in linking contestants to voters than I previously thought.

Lee's Fans
    Don't get me wrong - Lee has his positive appeal. Fans often mention that they like the raspy quality of his voice. They like his come-from-behind story, and his wounded puppy dog personality. He "needs" them in a way the very independent Crystal never would.

However, riddle me this: If we drop Lee into a contest with him and David Cook, Adam Lambert, David Archuleta, and Kris Allen - how many Lee fans would stick with him? I suspect, many would jump ship for another recent Idol finalist, if they had been given another alternative. That's is why I think the contest was decided more on Crystal's strong negatives, rather than Lee's overwhelming positives.

What do you think happened?

Hey TopCatDC, I'm not sure, but I wasn't really surprised at the outcome. I think that many of the viewers are young girls and they want someone to gush over and get all excited. You can't really do that with a girl contestant so Lee was ordained the winner by default.

I would compare it to a hypothetical show called Celebrity American Idol and some of the contestants were Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift and Brian Biever. Despite the quality of their talent, Brian would win by a landslide, because the viewer demographics favor a young boy. Next would Taylor, then Carrie. Carrie's unbelieveable voice would mean nothing to the young girls who are voting because they are caught up in the puppy love. Taylor sings about young love, so she would come in second.
    That's my take on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast