+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
Results 171 to 180 of 180

Thread: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

  1. #171
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,625

    Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

    The reason I don't go to most concerts unless I know the singer has the chops to sing live. Omg some of these concerts you spend your money only to have the Artist sing like crap live. I mean really that is why I prefer Old School R&B and Soul singers most grew up singing in church and know how to sing live.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  2. #172
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

    I think you might be right, TopCat, in that Lee did a version of "Hallelujah" that got him votes and into the finals. But for people who take "Hallelujah" seriously, Jason Castro did a quiet but powerful version, truncated and all.

    Your comment about Tim's version of the song is perceptive. I couldn't put my finger on why he failed with the song, but you nailed it. He did a religious version of a song that is definitely not an ode to God.

    ---
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-20-2010 at 07:06 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

  3. #173
    BTW
    BTW is offline
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    518

    Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3909416;
    I think you might be right, TopCat, in that Lee did a version of "Hallelujah" that got him votes and into the finals. But for people who take "Hallelujah" seriously, Jason Castro did a quiet but powerful version, truncated and all.

    Your comment about Tim's version of the song is perceptive. I couldn't put my finger on why he failed with the song, but you nailed it. He did a religious version of a song that is definitely not an ode to God.

    ---
    ---
    I recall being very impressed when Jason Castro sang Hallelujah. Out of curiosity, I went to listen to it again. Still like it. I do like Lee, but don't think he did the best job on this song.

  4. #174
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mid-South
    Posts
    942

    Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

    I don't know anything about the format for next week and can't remember exactly how it went last year - how many songs, etc., but given the way things have been going, I fully expect Lee to pull out all the stops and set his own hair on fire during one of his performances.

  5. #175
    FORT Fanatic laceygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    485

    Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

    If last week was the finale, Lee would have won American Idol. So they both better step it up this week. Especially Crystal, I think the last couple weeks she has not been as amazing as she could of been. Leave the harmonica and the b$$g type thing off the stage and she should be okay. Actually I believe its anyones game to win. So they better bring it.

  6. #176
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3909703;
    I don't know anything about the format for next week and can't remember exactly how it went last year - how many songs, etc., but given the way things have been going, I fully expect Lee to pull out all the stops and set his own hair on fire during one of his performances.


    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

  7. #177
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC USA
    Posts
    3,759

    Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3909703;
    I don't know anything about the format for next week and can't remember exactly how it went last year - how many songs, etc., but given the way things have been going, I fully expect Lee to pull out all the stops and set his own hair on fire during one of his performances.
    The way the finale has been run the last few years has been that the contestants sing three songs:
    • Contestant's Choice - This is almost always a repeat performance, although David Cook did a new song.
    • Producer's Choice - Clive Davis used to select a song, but last year Simon Fuller made the selection.
    • Coronation Song - They each sing the sappy single that will be released after the show.

    Some people have raised the question that maybe this year Lee and Crystal should each be allowed to sing one of their own compositions, since they both write and already have a body of work from which to choose. But there hasn't been any indication from the producers that they would be willing to do that.

    The Coronoation Song has also raised a lot of criticism, especially since last year when No Boundaries sounded lousy no matter who sang it. After the great performances from Kris and Adam that came before, the show stumbled to a close with the worst thing either had put on stage all season. But I'm not holding my breath for that to change, either. Although they have been unusually quiet about what that song is going to be.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 05-21-2010 at 11:00 AM.

  8. #178
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3908903;
    Did anyone hear Lee's comment to a hometown fan when he said something like "I'm going to try to win it!" It really struck me in a negative way. I can't quite put my finger on it. I mean, he's supposed to be this humble guy, but that comment sounded way too competitive. Sort of like "I'm going to crush my opponent next week!"
    I heard the comment, and thought the use of the word "try" indicated he's not all that confident and was making a humble comment.

    Further, I think any of us can interpret anything they say as positive or negative, depending on who we favor.

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3909269;
    So auto tune is to voices what photo shop is to bodies and faces?
    Or what Auto Pilot is to those guys sitting in the cockpit ?

    TopCat You are spot on about the Lyrics in Lee's Hallelujah. It's hard to connect with only two verses.

    I went and listened to the Studio Version, and maybe they used that Auto Tune thing ,... but Lee's version is beautiful.
    Last edited by echo226; 05-21-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  9. #179
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl;3909708;
    If last week was the finale, Lee would have won American Idol. So they both better step it up this week. Especially Crystal, I think the last couple weeks she has not been as amazing as she could of been. Leave the harmonica and the b$$g type thing off the stage and she should be okay. Actually I believe its anyones game to win. So they better bring it.
    Crystal won the coin toss and will have the second slot which is an advantage.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  10. #180
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,858

    Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3909836;
    The way the finale has been run the last few years has been that the contestants sing three songs:
    • Contestant's Choice - This is almost always a repeat performance, although David Cook did a new song.
    • Producer's Choice - Clive Davis used to select a song, but last year Simon Fuller made the selection.
    • Coronation Song - They each sing the sappy single that will be released after the show.

    Some people have raised the question that maybe this year Lee and Crystal should each be allowed to sing one of their own compositions, since they both write and already have a body of work from which to choose. But there hasn't been any indication from the producers that they would be willing to do that.

    The Coronoation Song has also raised a lot of criticism, especially since last year when No Boundaries sounded lousy no matter who sang it. After the great performances from Kris and Adam that came before, the show stumbled to a close with the worst thing either had put on stage all season. But I'm not holding my breath for that to change, either. Although they have been unusually quiet about what that song is going to be.
    I would much rather have an original contestant's song the a "No Boundaries" coronation song.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.