+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

Re: 5/19 Results show *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3909244;
    Thanks, I kind of thought that is what it is. I guarantee you everyone uses it.
    Well, Auto Tune hasn't been around that long, so certainly the great veteran rockers had to perform with their own talents pitch-wise, until only recently.
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3909261;
    Well, Auto Tune hasn't been around that long, so certainly the great veteran rockers had to perform with their own talents pitch-wise, until only recently.
    ---
    So auto tune is to voices what photo shop is to bodies and faces?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3909198;
    That's my point. I think Lee has a great, gravely rocker voice, but his phrasing lacks grit and emotion. He isn't connected to the lyrics of his songs the way the great rockers are. To me, Lee is all voice and no heart. The best rockers might have small vocal ranges and rough voices, but they do sing in tune.

Auto Tune is an electronic device that can make a singer sound in tune when they are recording CDs. This will be a requirement for Lee, cuz he won't be able to sell records singing off-key.---
    Auto Tune can also be used during LIVE performances.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3909244;
    Thanks, I kind of thought that is what it is. I guarantee you everyone uses it.
    Sorry, but that is absolutely not true. Very few professional singers actually need it. No one from Idol has ever needed it, they can all pretty much stay in tune & on pitch. At least those that make it deep into the competition can.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3909291;
    Auto Tune can also be used during LIVE performances.
    Wow, then Lee will never have to be in tune again after AI. He's home free on that score.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3909294;
    Sorry, but that is absolutely not true. Very few professional singers actually need it. No one from Idol has ever needed it, they can all pretty much stay in tune & on pitch. At least those that make it deep into the competition can.
    I think enough people use it though. How many times do you hear someone sing live and say "wow that doesn't sound like them". Idol doesn't use it so we get to hear all the clunker notes
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv;3909226;
    Honestly, I've always heard that song as a match of a simple melody on a singer's voice along with simple instrumentation. I didn't really like the "big" version of it Lee did, but I can't decide if that's just me reacting with "change = bad" or if I really don't like it that way. I was going to go back and listen to it again after watching Glee, but ... well ... NPH and Matthew Morrison on one duet followed by Idina Menzel and Lea Michelle on another kind of distracted me from AI music for a while...
    I wondered the same thing about my initial reaction, but when I went back and watched again, it confirmed for me that Lee's performance and interpretation really lost the meaning of the lyrics. Not the first time he's done that, in my opinion. There seems to be s a disconnect with him between what the lyrics mean and what he's singing.

You can clearly tell when someone is using Autotune. I can't think of anyone with any vocal prowess that needs autotune. sorry
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3909377;
    You can clearly tell when someone is using Autotune. I can't think of anyone with any vocal prowess that needs autotune. sorry
    I've heard about Reba using autotune in her performances. Who knows if that's true or not though

Just like last season, I like both of the final 2 and will be happy with either winning. Looking forward to the finale!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3909371;
    I wondered the same thing about my initial reaction, but when I went back and watched again, it confirmed for me that Lee's performance and interpretation really lost the meaning of the lyrics. Not the first time he's done that, in my opinion. There seems to be s a disconnect with him between what the lyrics mean and what he's singing.
    Totally agree about the lyric disconnect BUT I thought the musical arrangement was exactly what was needed to make an impression in the 90 second Idol time slot. They played up the dynamics and built it up in layers to a satisfying musical climax. For the first time on the show the song had a beginning, middle, and end. Although, he could have been singing "La, la, la" as easily as singing the lyrics, since he did nothing with them.

The problem with previous versions on the show is that you don't have the time to let the lyric tell its story and develop in such a short time. So while Jason and Tim might have been true to the spirit of the song, by truncating it they've blunted its effect and left the song meaningless. (Tim actually presented it as if it was a religious song, which couldn't be further from the truth.)

So either way they are turning the song into hash, but at least in the Lee/Cowell version you feel like you've been somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3909377;
    Very true for live performances. However recordings are a different story. You can easily repair notes in a recording without anyone catching on.

+ Reply to Thread