+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3908098;
    For any other performance in any week other than Top Three, everything you say is true.

BUT - in Top Three week Simon considers it the judges prerogative to not just provide a song to a contestant, but to essentially produce it as well. He was very clear on this last year with Lambert's cover of U2's One, and he berated Kara for not getting involved in Apologize with Kris. (Kara complained that she didn't know that was allowed.)

Last night he talked about meeting with Lee about the song, but didn't provide any specifics. He didn't have to. Everything up on stage screamed "A Simon Cowell Production". What we saw last night was not humble, singer-songwriter Lee who prefers to work with just his guitar. That was a sophisticated arrangement with strings, timpani, sets, lights, and a choir. Do you really think all that came out of Lee's head?

Thank You!

I have no proof that it was done that way, but that's how I saw it as well.

And on the flip side . . . . . if Lee is to be "blamed" for the production, shouldn't we also be commenting on the LACK of accoutrements during the other performances?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fan

If it indeed was Simon who did the fancy arrangement for Lee, I would call it partiality. The other two contestants should protest.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLuv;3908157;
    If it indeed was Simon who did the fancy arrangement for Lee, I would call it partiality. The other two contestants should protest.
    Perhaps they should . . . but their protest would be with Kara, Ellen and Randy. Not with Lee.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3908164;
    Perhaps they should . . . but their protest would be with Kara, Ellen and Randy. Not with Lee.

Took the words right out of my mouth
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3908098;
    For any other performance in any week other than Top Three, everything you say is true.

Last night Simon talked about meeting with Lee about the song, but didn't provide any specifics. He didn't have to. Everything up on stage screamed "A Simon Cowell Production". What we saw last night was not humble, singer-songwriter Lee who prefers to work with just his guitar. That was a sophisticated arrangement with strings, timpani, sets, lights, and a choir. Do you really think all that came out of Lee's head?

I dunno. I'm not convinced that Lee had nothing to do with the over-done production of the song, given his penchant for bagpipes in a previous performance. Regardless who is to blame for the production, Lee's vocal rendition of the song was tone deaf to the meaning of the lyrics. This is a poignant, literate and heart-breaking song, and Lee smashed through it like a mack truck.
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-19-2010 at 04:57 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3908132;
    I can't help but think back to the season with Carrie and Bo. These complaints, and many others that people have been making about Lee, were made about Carrie. Carrie had no stage presence. Carrie couldn't interpret songs. I remember she committed the heinous act of smiling throughout Scarborough Fair, or some such song.
    You are right, the complaints are similar. And Carrie did improve in those areas after she won. But I'm not so sure Lee will do the same. Carrie had a raw talent in her vocal and emotional range that Lee lacks.

I'd take Lee's attitude to Crystal's blase "I'm me and I don't give a damn what you want me to be" outlook. At least he tries to grow. At least he tries to change things up.
    I disagree with you about Crystal. She clearly does care about her work on AI, given how far she has stretched beyond her comfort zone in music and dress. She has been gracious, intelligent and totally professional during her stint on this show. On the other hand, Lee's attitude, "I beg you to love me, sniff, sniff, weep, weep" is not attractive nor particularly professional.
    --
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-19-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3908190;
    You are right, the complaints are similar. And Carrie did improve in those areas after she won. But I'm not so sure Lee will do the same. Carrie had a raw talent in her vocal and emotional range that Lee lacks.

I disagree with you about Crystal. She clearly does care about her work on AI, given how far she has stretched beyond her comfort zone in music and dress. She has been gracious, intelligent and totally professional during her stint on this show. On the other hand, Lee's attitude, "I beg you to love me, sniff, sniff, weep, weep" is not attractive nor particularly professional.
    --
    --
    I've never seen that behavior from Lee. And I do think he can grow in his performance skills, which he has already proved. As for his voice, I love it, just the way it is now. I also love Crystal, but I haven't seen the growth in her I've seen in Lee. The reason being that she was already comfortable with the performer she is and didn't have to change that much. If either of those two wins, I'll be happy.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3908190;
    I disagree with you about Crystal. She clearly does care about her work on AI, given how far she has stretched beyond her comfort zone in music and dress. She has been gracious, intelligent and totally professional during her stint on this show. --
    --
    I agree. When the Toledo TV station hosts were looking to hear some dirt on Ryan from Crystal, she pre-emptively and firmly defended Ryan. Crystal scored major points with me on diplomacy and etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3908208;
    I've never seen that behavior from Lee. And I do think he can grow in his performance skills, which he has already proved. As for his voice, I love it, just the way it is now. I also love Crystal, but I haven't seen the growth in her I've seen in Lee. The reason being that she was already comfortable with the performer she is and didn't have to change that much. If either of those two wins, I'll be happy.
    I agree with you. Of the three contestants left, I see Lee as having grown the most. His last several performances have been really good. If we were to judge from last nights performances alone, I think Lee won hands down. JMO.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I was just going through old videos and found last season's "Adam only" tape. Talk about creating a "moment"!!! He had one almost every week. Nobody this year has had a single moment anywhere close to "Mad World".
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread