+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

Re: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3907951;
    From tvguide:

Travis Garland performs; Justin Bieber performs; after one contestant is eliminated, the top two finalists are revealed.
    That's IT?! Sheesh. Did they use up all the good singers on the Idol Gives Back show?

Ah, well. Go Crystal. Or Lee. Whatever.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3907980;
    I think his hometown visit gave him a "boost" he had more confidence (which has been lacking) than ever before. He obviously needed a glimpse of what the public was seeing and feeling. I think seeing the "public" reaction to him on that homtown visit (and in the audience last night) has given him "life"
    I can't believe I left an important word out in my post:
    I think the pitchy thing has to do with inability to HEAR well in that environment, and really, Crystal has more stage experience and she does it too.
    I do agree that the hometown visit gave him a tremendous boost. There were more than 30,000 people at Arlington Park.

As for his growth, etc. I'm still shocked that at first, I thought he was poor representation of local talent.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3907994;
    All I could think of during Halleluia was - isn't it the final that they get gospel choir back-ups, and why did he get them this week and no one else? I can't believe it was only because they didn't think of/ask for it?

And Crystal is still my fave, but Lee grew on me a lot last night. If Crystal had left the harmonica home for the first song it would have been much better - it was in her way, distracting to the audience though nice to hear - it could have been played in the background and not live by her.
    I agree about Crystal and her harmonica. It detracted from her performance, but I think it may have been about proving that she hadn't changed and was still "true" to herself. She seems out to prove that she isn't being changed by Hollywood, which is good, but at the same time it seems to have impacted her ability to grow during the season.

There was a gospel choir for someone earlier in the season, so I think they just have to either ask for it or have it thrust upon them by producers. I think it was Big Mike and there were only 4, not 6, gospel singers, but it might have been Crystal. I remember the choir, but not the singer.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;3908021;
    I can't believe I left an important word out in my post:

I do agree that the hometown visit gave him a tremendous boost. There were more than 30,000 people at Arlington Park.

As for his growth, etc. I'm still shocked that at first, I thought he was poor representation of local talent.
    I live nearby and there were planes circulating around Arlington with banners.......
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

[QUOTE=Little Sew&Sew;3907908;]
    Does anyone REALLY think that Lee orchestrated ALL of that? After having watched his demeanor from the beginning of the season, I'm thinking he'd had been cool with the performance being just him and his guitar.

Lee absolutely arranged for the chorus and the over-the-top treatment of "Hallejuah." The reason is that the producers consider arrangement issues (such as choosing background accompaniment) part of the competition. The AI music staff are not permitted to make any significant suggestions for those arrangements. They are also not permitted to suggest songs to the contestants. Lee was also to blame for the dumb bagpipes for that song a few weeks ago. It's as if Lee has no conception of what these songs are about.

I love Lee's voice like a lot of people here. But he doesn't have a clue how to use it to interpret lyrics or project honest feeling.
    --
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

I think Crystal has been coasting for weeks I hope it doesn't bite her in the rear tonight. someone please save me from a Lee & Casey finale. I really couldn't handle it.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3908084;
    Lee absolutely arranged for the chorus and the over-the-top treatment of "Hallejuah." The reason is that the producers consider arrangement issues (such as choosing background accompaniment) part of the competition. The AI music staff are not permitted to make any significant suggestions for those arrangements. They are also not permitted to suggest songs to the contestants. Lee was also to blame for the dumb bagpipes for that song a few weeks ago. It's as if Lee has no conception of what these songs are about...
    For any other performance in any week other than Top Three, everything you say is true.

BUT - in Top Three week Simon considers it the judges prerogative to not just provide a song to a contestant, but to essentially produce it as well. He was very clear on this last year with Lambert's cover of U2's One, and he berated Kara for not getting involved in Apologize with Kris. (Kara complained that she didn't know that was allowed.)

Last night he talked about meeting with Lee about the song, but didn't provide any specifics. He didn't have to. Everything up on stage screamed "A Simon Cowell Production". What we saw last night was not humble, singer-songwriter Lee who prefers to work with just his guitar. That was a sophisticated arrangement with strings, timpani, sets, lights, and a choir. Do you really think all that came out of Lee's head?

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3908092;
    I think Crystal has been coasting for weeks I hope it doesn't bite her in the rear tonight. someone please save me from a Lee & Casey finale. I really couldn't handle it.
    As I said in Crystals thread, she is amazing, BUT Lee has come from behind, and if Last night was the finale, Lee would be the Next American Idol.

I loved the entire night. While Casey is not on my personal list, I thought he did ok.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3908084;
    It's as if Lee has no conception of what these songs are about.

I love Lee's voice like a lot of people here. But he doesn't have a clue how to use it to interpret lyrics or project honest feeling.

I can't help but think back to the season with Carrie and Bo. These complaints, and many others that people have been making about Lee, were made about Carrie. Carrie had no stage presence. Carrie couldn't interpret songs. I remember she committed the heinous act of smiling throughout Scarborough Fair, or some such song.

Now I am in no way, shape, or form comparing Lee's talent to Carrie's, but I do want to point out that these things can be learned and developed. Lee has the same shy, deer in the headlights look that Carrie had and look how she turned out. It's just possible that he could, too.

I'd take Lee's attitude to Crystal's blase "I'm me and I don't give a damn what you want me to be" outlook. At least he tries to grow. At least he tries to change things up.

(And I love his gravelly voice. Sister Hazel, Bad Company, Edwin McCain... their CDs live in my player to this day.)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread