+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Juls2;3907405;
    Lee was my fave from day one. The growth this season was amazing. And he's humble. No attitude. Never acted like he had this competition in the bag or that he was too cool for it. And tonight, he was stunning! He's had my vote all season and he's definitely got it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;3907843;
    I couldn't agree more. He did fantastic last night. I just hope his fans didn't assume he was safe & not vote

Juls2 - I could have written those exact words myself.

After the pimpage he got from the judges, I voted even more than I might have if they had just given him ho-hum reviews because the judges blessings are usually more of a curse.

As for his Hallelujah being an over-the-top, release-the-doves performance . . . maybe some of you here know more than I do about how Idol is produced (which is pretty much nothing). I have always assumed (yeah, I know . . .) that AI is responsible for most of the schtick that goes on, from the Ryan/Simon banter, to the arm waving crowd, to the drama-filled this contestant stands here, that contestant stands there and somebody has to decide where to stand all on their own cuz someone's going home soon dreck we see every season.

Does anyone REALLY think that Lee orchestrated ALL of that? After having watched his demeanor from the beginning of the season, I'm thinking he'd had been cool with the performance being just him and his guitar.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

We have a house full of Lee fans here. I have said since the Top 12 that he will win if he could gain his confidence! I was so happy to see him so happy and confident last night!

I love Lee's voice. Out of tune, pitchy or whatever - I love him and his music style.

I have not liked Crystal since Day 1. I get the feeling that if it would pay the bills, Crystal would be happy playing in coffee houses for the rest of her life. I don't think she wants all the things that will come with being the American Idol and is phoning in her performances.

I only saw one person on that stage last night who wants to win American Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3907908;
    Does anyone REALLY think that Lee orchestrated ALL of that? After having watched his demeanor from the beginning of the season, I'm thinking he'd had been cool with the performance being just him and his guitar.
    I really don't think Lee had much, if anything, to do with that fiasco. It would have been much more effective with just him and his guitar, instead of that overblown choir mess.

Who else is performing besides that Bieber kid tonight? I don't think I can bear to sit and listen to him, or the tweenies screaming in the audience. Isn't Kris singing? Anybody?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3907943;

Who else is performing besides that Bieber kid tonight? I don't think I can bear to sit and listen to him, or the tweenies screaming in the audience. Isn't Kris singing? Anybody?

LOL! You and me both!!

From tvguide:

Travis Garland performs; Justin Bieber performs; after one contestant is eliminated, the top two finalists are revealed.

This Travis person (have to confess, I have NO idea who he is), just released a song on Itunes (yesterday) called BELIEVE (according to his MySpace page)
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3907821;
    A couple of thoughts on this.

First, singing "woman" changes the rhythm at a crucial point in the song. You can't just throw in extra notes, and even if you did - because of where it falls in the bar, the emphasis would fall on the second syllable, (woMAN instead of WOman), which makes it an even worse fit. If you use "girl", "lady", or some other gender appropriate noun, you kill the rhyme scheme.

Second, Crystal didn't pick this song. It's not any kind of personal statement. Ellen handed her a rock classic, and Crystal sang the hell out of it. (In my opinion.) Singing the lyric as written was a compromise - but a valid choice that preserved the catchy chorus which made the song a hit.

Obviously it didn't work for everybody, which is understandable. But in my view Ellen put Crystal in a no-win situation with that lyric. Crystal decided to rise above the gender agreement issue, and err on the side of respecting Sir Paul's lyric. Personally, I can get behind that decision.

Wouldn't replacing "I'm" with "You're" work? Or would that spoil the alliteration?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by cape;3907922;
    We have a house full of Lee fans here. I have said since the Top 12 that he will win if he could gain his confidence! I was so happy to see him so happy and confident last night!

I love Lee's voice. Out of tune, pitchy or whatever - I love him and his music style.

I have not liked Crystal since Day 1. I get the feeling that if it would pay the bills, Crystal would be happy playing in coffee houses for the rest of her life. I don't think she wants all the things that will come with being the American Idol and is phoning in her performances.

I only saw one person on that stage last night who wants to win American Idol.
    I also just love Lee's voice. I love the raspy quality and wonder if maybe he should try a Rod Stewart song.

I think the pitchy thing has to do with inability to well in that environment, and really, Crystal has more experience and she does it too.

As for all the stuff about who he is ... he was supposed to sing 3 songs during his home town concert ... and he sang TEN (10) ... because he felt that the folks there (the fans) supporting him deserved more.

What Simon said about him is right on.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;3907977;
    I also just love Lee's voice. I love the raspy quality and wonder if maybe he should try a Rod Stewart song.

I think the pitchy thing has to do with inability to well in that environment, and really, Crystal has more experience and she does it too.

As for all the stuff about who he is ... he was supposed to sing 3 songs during his home town concert ... and he sang TEN (10) ... because he felt that the folks there (the fans) supporting him deserved more.

What Simon said about him is right on.
    I think his hometown visit gave him a "boost" he had more confidence (which has been lacking) than ever before. He obviously needed a glimpse of what the public was seeing and feeling. I think seeing the "public" reaction to him on that homtown visit (and in the audience last night) has given him "life"

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3907821;
    A couple of thoughts on this.

First, singing "woman" changes the rhythm at a crucial point in the song. You can't just throw in extra notes, and even if you did - because of where it falls in the bar, the emphasis would fall on the second syllable, (woMAN instead of WOman), which makes it an even worse fit. If you use "girl", "lady", or some other gender appropriate noun, you kill the rhyme scheme.

Second, Crystal didn't pick this song. It's not any kind of personal statement. Ellen handed her a rock classic, and Crystal sang the hell out of it. (In my opinion.) Singing the lyric as written was a compromise - but a valid choice that preserved the catchy chorus which made the song a hit.

Obviously it didn't work for everybody, which is understandable. But in my view Ellen put Crystal in a no-win situation with that lyric. Crystal decided to rise above the gender agreement issue, and err on the side of respecting Sir Paul's lyric. Personally, I can get behind that decision.
    I agree with all of that Topcat... she was singing a song, the lyrics are "I'm a man" ...who cares.. I sing along to songs all of the time and could care less if I change the words to fit my gender.. my husband and I were debating over this last night. He thinks that Ellen just wanted her to sing about loving a woman - absurd!

FORT Fogey

All I could think of during Halleluia was - isn't it the final that they get gospel choir back-ups, and why did he get them this week and no one else? I can't believe it was only because they didn't think of/ask for it?

And Crystal is still my fave, but Lee grew on me a lot last night. If Crystal had left the harmonica home for the first song it would have been much better - it was in her way, distracting to the audience though nice to hear - it could have been played in the background and not live by her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3907951;
    From tvguide: Travis Garland performs; Justin Bieber performs; after one contestant is eliminated, the top two finalists are revealed.

This Travis person (have to confess, I have NO idea who he is), just released a song on Itunes (yesterday) called BELIEVE (according to his MySpace page)
    Travis is a Perez Hilton protégé currently launching in the charts. He is originally from Lubbock Texas, which makes me think they should have just called this season Texas Idol, with all the Lone Star state connections there have been.

Justin Beiber's performance was taped a month and a half ago. I'm surprised they have waited this long to show it. I bet it got bumped when Adam Lambert came in at the last minute as a mentor and they give Adam a spot to sing on the results show. Anyway, either they show the tape tonight, or not at all.

The rest of the time will probably be devoted to showing the home town visits since we got none of that last night.

+ Reply to Thread